Roanoke Arts and Entertainment

weill

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard there was a new restaurant/nightspot on 1st Street. What is it called and has anyone checked it out.

Also what are you're favorite places to go out for a drink. I don't get out to Roanoke as much anymore so I don't know whats up. I always thought metro was a good place to bring a classy lady friend.

Also whats up with Paradox? Will it still be called that when it finally reopens? and when will it reopen? I heard they were remodeling to make it more suitable for bands.

I heard there was a new restaurant/nightspot on 1st Street. What is it called and has anyone checked it out.

Also what are you're favorite places to go out for a drink. I don't get out to Roanoke as much anymore so I don't know whats up. I always thought metro was a good place to bring a classy lady friend.

Also whats up with Paradox? Will it still be called that when it finally reopens? and when will it reopen? I heard they were remodeling to make it more suitable for bands.

There is a new restruant called Martin's (I think) on 1st and Luck and I have not been but read a favorable review that said it was full of 30 somethings (I didn't know we had any except for me!). A bar and grill that plans to have entertainment in the form of bands and comedy acts is The Noke or Noke Town or something like that which is just up the street from the Angler Cafe. Looks like it will be a very nice space. Last time I went by (about 3 weeks ago) it was still not open. Hotel Roanoke is also opening a nightclub that is dance oriented in March. Has that been mentioned here? There is a new upscale wine bar and restruant that opened in the former Beamer's space on the Market in the last month as well.

Paradox is dead in the water. I think (though this is just rumor) that one of the major financial partners is an oncologist associated with a group that is caught up in some legal battles related to Medicare. If that is true, it could be years before that is settled. It is a shame because they started the renovations and just suddenly stopped, creating a significant dead space in the heart of the Market area. I have to believe the money well ran dry. There has been no activity for many months (maybe a year?).

I agree, destroying any currently unspoiled areas (the majority of the mountain) would be a mistake. However, the areas already covered by asphalt, buildings or otherwise altered from their original forested state could be reused in more efficient, desireable ways than a childrens zoo and two overlooks. The zoo should be somewhere else so that something more appealing can replace it. Explore park would be a good zoo location. Ideally, a visitors center and a nice restaurant with panaramic windows could replace the zoo. The tramline could be restored without cutting down any trees (the old r.o.w. is still visible and used for power lines). A tram would eliminate the need for increased parking spaces or road improvements that would degrade the serenity of the mountain top. In fact, these facilities could be built on less area than is currently used on the top of mill mountain, allowing some areas to be converted to greenspace.

I agree, destroying any currently unspoiled areas (the majority of the mountain) would be a mistake. However, the areas already covered by asphalt, buildings or otherwise altered from their original forested state could be reused in more efficient, desireable ways than a childrens zoo and two overlooks. The zoo should be somewhere else so that something more appealing can replace it. Explore park would be a good zoo location. Ideally, a visitors center and a nice restaurant with panaramic windows could replace the zoo. The tramline could be restored without cutting down any trees (the old r.o.w. is still visible and used for power lines). A tram would eliminate the need for increased parking spaces or road improvements that would degrade the serenity of the mountain top. In fact, these facilities could be built on less area than is currently used on the top of mill mountain, allowing some areas to be converted to greenspace.

I like your ideas, though the restruant and any other development should be limited to the existing infrastructre without expansion as you mentioned. Keep the park area. Moving the zoo would be a good idea as expansion has been geographically impossible in it's current location. The tram would be a cool way to get people up there without increasing auto traffic.

Very cool. What was it they quoted him/her (sorry mclawsdrive I don't know and don't want to make assumptions!) on?

Hopefully my glamour shot will answer the gender question. That was taken immediatly after dental reconstruction surgery and the purchase of some trendy new glasses.

My dad said the quote was this first 3 sentences of my original statement on the online message board: "I agree that Mill mountain is a valuable asset that is underutilized. The zoo is not the best use for the top of the mountain. But an art museum isn't the best use either."

Archived