Groundbreaking of the Art Museum

weill

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

usually when I complain about the AMWV on the blog (not that I have one... lol) theres an article a few days later. I have not mentioned it on the blog, but I guess this place counts as complaining too.

Probably read the thread - wondered what was going on, hearing nothing from the AMWV people - called them, and got "The bids did come in higher than we had hoped they would," Bingham said. "But they didn't come in so high that we're not going forward with it. ... We are going ahead with the project. You hear me? I think that people are concerned about that. We're reaching the decision about the construction company as expeditiously and judiciously as we possibly can."

Sounds a little desperate, if you ask me.

One thing that upsets me is that the plans for an IMAX were dropped. A study suggested that annual costs would exceed revenue. I still think it would have been well worth it because of the increase in visitors to downtown and the related revenue generated by these visitors to downtown restaurants and other attractions. Many big cities lose money on big stadiums because they know people will spend money at nearby businesses if the come downtown for games.

If the city lost $500,000 a year operating the IMAX, but generated $500,000 more a year from increased tax revenue from nearby businesses, it would be worth it. I doubt those who made that decision took this into account.

Art Museum chooses building contractor

"The Art Museum of Western Virginia has picked Centex Construction, builders of the National Museum of the Marine Corps, to erect its new $46 million museum.

Centex, which is based in Dallas with offices around the country, will build the futuristic Roanoke museum with its gleaming zinc sides and soaring glass prow, museum executive director Georganne Bingham said Tuesday. The announcement ends the museum's long search for a general contractor and removes a major barrier to actual construction.

The museum held a ceremonial groundbreaking in September; a date for the start of construction has yet to be announced.

Roanoke's Branch & Associates also bid on the project. The decision apparently came down to price."

To read the full story click on this Link

Umm.. yes it does - even a non-profit has expenses. And to expand and properly maintain it's collection...

You ever work for a non-profit?

I've never worked for a non-profit, but I understand business probably as well as you do ;)

Museums can't be held to the same profitablilty standards as other private enterprises. Otherwise nobody would ever build a museum, because they wouldn't make enough money. Center in the Square would have never gotten off the ground under that rationale, because to my knowledge it's never made enough to be completely self-supporting.

That said, look what supporting the arts does for a community. Center in the Square took the place of the department stores as downtown's primary anchor and it's paid off in increased interest in the area, which caused businesses all around to benefit. The rock hitting the water is kind of small, but the ripples are huge. Adding the freestanding Art Museum to the mix creates another rock, and it causes even more ripples.

I think you're letting the $46 million price tag and contemporary design cloud your mind. This museum is not a white elephant, in fact it's got a pretty solid design and funding sources so far. It's not going to be a burden to the city or its taxpayers from what I can tell.

46? keep going...

Theres about 5 sites I can name off the top of my head downtown that the museum could make a larger impact having the Art Museum located there..

And that's just downtown.

Don't tell me Non-profits cannot be held to the same standard, of course they can't. Grants and donations certainly factor into that, but you have to remember - they still have to pay bills too. And if you cannot stay in the black, that red piles up real quick.

Oh yes, and how many of the staffers will be volunteers, and how many will be paid employees? And how many will draw down a nice salary even when the museum hits tough times. Oh, they might not get a rasie for a year or so - but theyre not giving back a quarter of the salary to help pay the bills.

Non-profits are worse than for-profit companys. Trust me on that one.

"Both sides said negotiations on a final price are ongoing. "We do not have an agreed-upon price with the museum," Tarpey said. Museum leaders have been anxious about costs, given rising prices associated with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Nonetheless, Bingham said Tuesday they are not trying to scale the project back."

From the article, and by the way - if you read the past articles, you'll see that the original $46 is not probable anymore - actually, it wasn't really probable back then either - it was an estimate given by the architect.

yep - but read on.. seriously - the original figure for the Museum in no way reflects what the actual cost will be. That's life - your not dealing in normal materials, you've got to hire contractors who can do the work and are used to working on such projects (and there are not many, Centex being one of a handful), and they come with high labor costs. Plus theres insurance, equipment, and a whole host of other fees - all they have gotten a break on sofar is the land. $4 million free from the city.

Oh, and they have Demo to do as well. Forgot about that.

Realistic cost, probably about 60-70 million.

Centex has allready had one large-scale museum project cancelled, this one designed by our architects mentor, due to lack of funding. Certain non-profits here in Roanoke are having a hard time finding funding as it is.

Im not debating wether or not it will be built - thats not for us to decide. Im debating the wisdom behind it's location. The rest you can figure out for yourself.

But don't come crying to me when it becomes a glass and steel Old Navy.

Oh - and how is it different information when it's in the same article?

Archived