35 members have voted

1. 1. The PVD/RI Forum should be:

• "Rhode Island" as it is now
    • "Providence" like it was
    • Both "Rhode Island & Providence"
    • Keep "Rhode Island" but add a "Providence" subforum like in MA and CT
    • Other: please explain
    • Don't know/Doesn't matter to me

So you've likely noticed the forum title has changed to Rhode Island. This adheres to the general naming policy on the rest of UrbanPlanet, naming forums for states. It also makes it clear that the forum is open for discussions on all things in Rhode Island, not just the city.

You'll notice that the CT and MA subforums have city subforums for Greater Hartford and Greater Boston. We could do the same thing for Providence within the Rhode Island subforum if that is what people want. I can really go either way on all this, so I would like input from the members.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say both. It's just that Rhode Island and Providence tend to be synonomous in most conversations. You know, the whole "city/state" thing. As Providence goes so goes Rhode Island.

I voted for "Rhode Island & Providence", although (and yes, this is a little nitpicky) I would prefer to change the order to "Providence & Rhode Island". That later reflects structurally how I think most people think about a place--its center first and then its surrounding area--also it parallels the City/State structure of city first, state second.

Okay, nitpick off now.

PVDJack

If it's a matter of keeping to UP forum naming conventions, lets use the full name then.

State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Forum

Definitely the best option is to use the coolest name in the 50 states... :D

- Garris

If it's a matter of keeping to UP forum naming conventions, lets use the full name then.

State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations Forum

Definitely the best option is to use the coolest name in the 50 states... :D

I've thought about that, it's certainly an option.

Regardless of the final name, I don't think its a good idea to have a Providence sub-forum...its just redundant and another thing to click through. Unlike the other states, where there are multiple significant and distinct cities, Providence and Rhode Island really does exist as a City-State. They really are one and the same.

Regardless of the final name, I don't think its a good idea to have a Providence sub-forum...its just redundant and another thing to click through.

Yes, that was my main reasoning for not creating a subforum for the city. We already have a projects subforum (which none of the other Northeast cities have) and creating a seperate city subfroum would result in their being 3 subforums for Rhode Island. A lot of clicking around for the members to do to read up on everything.

The city subforums in MA and CT are to give room for discussions on thier other cities to get noticed and in time, maybe, develop into subforums of thier own. It's extremely unlikely that we'll ever see a need for a city subforum other than Providence under Rhode Island. I just don't see Pawtucket or Newport generating the traffic here to need it. And discussions about those areas don't so much get lost in the shuffle in here, since the state is so small.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that was my main reasoning for not creating a subforum for the city. We already have a projects subforum (which none of the other Northeast cities have) and creating a seperate city subfroum would result in their being 3 subforums for Rhode Island. A lot of clicking around for the members to do to read up on everything.

The city subforums in MA and CT are to give room for discussions on thier other cities to get noticed and in time, maybe, develop into subforums of thier own. It's extremely unlikely that we'll ever see a need for a city subforum other than Providence under Rhode Island. I just don't see Pawtucket or Newport generating the traffic here to need it. And discussions about those areas don't so much get lost in the shuffle in here, since the state is so small.

Your logic is sound, but 80% of us want Providence as a forum in some form...perhaps Rhode Island

with two subforums - Providence forum and an Outside Providence forum.

Leaving out the word Providence in UrbanPlanet is a mistake.

Thanks

Your logic is sound, but 80% of us want Providence as a forum in some form...perhaps Rhode Island

with two subforums - Providence forum and an Outside Providence forum.

Leaving out the word Providence in UrbanPlanet is a mistake.

Thanks

I would agree that somehow, somewhere having the word "Providence" is important.

How about "Rhode Island & Providence: The City State"

this is probably my favorite

My thoughts for subforums:

Rhode Island

---Providence

---Pawtucket

---RI Business and Technology

---RI Projects and Construction (<---existing)

Comments?

Well, obviously I'm biased, but I would like to see RI Business & Technology broken out into two subforums:

--RI Economic Development (assuming that this is what's meant by "Business")

--RI IT Infrastructure

PVDJack

If it does, I'll need help from the 'bucketeers to populate it with information. Activity in Pawtucket isn't really on my radar.

hint

Hmm, well I do get the Slater Trader every week, and I definitely am gonna go around and take some pictures. And I always have plenty to beotch about, so I think it can be done.

Archived