Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaxpalmer

The North Carolina China Center...

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/394075.html

cool article about north carolina's link to china and the new north carolina china center thats opening up. Rather than stay ignorant of china's increasing role in the world today its good to see north carolina embracing it. More southern states need to follow suit imo. When im back in the states ill defanitley be checking this place out. :)

Although I know next to nothing about tobacco farming I thought most tobacco was grown in Turkey now. Of course I'm sure RJ Reynolds is thrilled either way.

EDIT: I just read the article and that is really cool.

Actually NC Tobacco is highly sought after because of its unique qualities. Many foreign cigaratte makers come there to buy it to blend in into their cigarettes. Also, some brands of American cigarattes are also sought after.

Yes, the many chinese believe smoking the ciggies have health benefits, and RJR Tobacco and Phillip Morris are all to happy to oblige. The cigarette plant outside of Charlotte produces a huge number of smokes that get exported there. It's interesting that article did not mention that NC export to the Chinese communists.

I've read that even if China's economy slows, it will surpass the US by 2045 or so. They are already building the world's largest freeway system, larger than our Interstate system. They are the world's largest agricultural and industrial producer. They are also expected to overtake the US in automobiles by 2020. This is scary folks... :(

Indeed. When asked today about all of our jobs going to China, our Fearless Leader, GW Bush, says he likes competition. Competition makes us do things better. etc etc. Of course he is borrowing trillions from the Chinese communists in order to fight his war in Iraq, so what else would he say.

They are already building the world's largest freeway system, larger than our Interstate system.

The chinese are smart, realizing that a national limited access highway infrastructure will bring connectivity to all points in the country. Sure enough, Wal Mart will love this and keep opening new stores off the exit ramps!

I suppose it was bound to happen. No one, and I do mean NO ONE can remain #1 forever... The USA is finished as the economic superpower, because China is just now cooking. The economy of China has been growing by more than 10% a year for 25 years. NC used to be #1 in furniture, but China overtook the US in less than 5 years. China has, as we know, overtaken the US in cotton production and textiles and clothing. The Pillowtex factory closing was the death knell for the US textile industry. China is aiming to be the largest automobile producer by 2020, the largest shipbuilder before then, and the leader of information technology with a decade or so. Of course, China produces 3 times the number of college graduates as the US, so I suppose it had to happen regardless of how we try to fight it. Last year, the CEO of Cisco Systems went to China and told the government and business leaders of China that "China WILL be the largest economy, it WILL be the leader of IT, and we WILL make Cisco a Chinese company." As metro noted above, not only is our President not worried at all, our own companies can't wait to help them along.