What is your definition of the West Side?

gregw

The East Side of Providence is between the Mosshasuck and Seekonk Rivers. It includes Fox Point and Mt Hope.

Downtown is the between the Providence River, 95, maybe Smith St to the Jewelry District.

The North End is Charles and Wanskuck.

The South Side is So Prov, Elmwood, Reservoir.

So here's my question:

Does the West Side encompass just those neighborhoods like Armory/West End/Broadway/Olneyville/Federal Hill that people always refer to as the "West Side"?

Or does it also include places like Smith Hill, Mt Pleasant, Elmhurst that people sometimes refer to as the West Side?

Do you consider Promenade part of the West Side or Downtown?

Thoughts? Opinions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The East Side of Providence is between the Mosshasuck and Seekonk Rivers. It includes Fox Point and Mt Hope.

Downtown is the between the Providence River, 95, maybe Smith St to the Jewelry District.

The North End is Charles and Wanskuck.

The South Side is So Prov, Elmwood, Reservoir.

So here's my question:

Does the West Side encompass just those neighborhoods like Armory/West End/Broadway/Olneyville/Federal Hill that people always refer to as the "West Side"?

Or does it also include places like Smith Hill, Mt Pleasant, Elmhurst that people sometimes refer to as the West Side?

Do you consider Promenade part of the West Side or Downtown?

Thoughts? Opinions?

i'd say it's the neighborhoold known as the west end (which includes the armory area since fed hill goes south to westminster) and the olneyville, hartford, silver lake, and manton neighborhoods.

Per: http://www.providenceri.com/Neighborhoods/westend.html

The West End is Providence's largest neighborhood and is located in the southwestern quadrant of the city. A landlocked neighborhood, it is surrounded by the neighborhoods of Silver Lake, Olneyville, Federal Hill, Upper South Providence, Elmwood, and Reservoir. Historically, the section of the West End delineated by Union and Elmwood Avenues, and Ford and Cromwell Streets was considered part of Elmwood. Furthermore, residents recognized the region west of Dexter Street as West Elmwood. Today, the borders of the West End are Westminster Street to the north, Elmwood Avenue to the east, Huntington Avenue to the south, and the railroad to the west.

Per: http://www.providenceri.com/Neighborhoods/westend.html

The West End is Providence's largest neighborhood and is located in the southwestern quadrant of the city. A landlocked neighborhood, it is surrounded by the neighborhoods of Silver Lake, Olneyville, Federal Hill, Upper South Providence, Elmwood, and Reservoir. Historically, the section of the West End delineated by Union and Elmwood Avenues, and Ford and Cromwell Streets was considered part of Elmwood. Furthermore, residents recognized the region west of Dexter Street as West Elmwood. Today, the borders of the West End are Westminster Street to the north, Elmwood Avenue to the east, Huntington Avenue to the south, and the railroad to the west.

he asked about the west side. i think he sort of meant like the south side is elmwood and south providence and reservoir. the west side is a bunch of neighborhoods.

the west end neighborhood is where the armory district is located.

I can never get my brain around the fact that Broadway is supposed to be Federal Hill. So I consider the Atwells area to be Federal Hill and the Broadway area as part of the "West Side." I also think of Olneyville as West Side, and Valley Street through Eagle Square. Since the Promenade is disconnected from the rest by the Atwells section of Federal Hill, I don't think of it as West Side, but I don't think of it as Downtown either since it is seperated by the mall. I guess I sort of see the Promenade as no-man's land or a southern extention of Smith Hill.

living in between Broadway and Westminster, I never think of myself as living in Fed Hill. None of my neighbors do either. Its the west side, the armory, sometimes the west end. Never federal hill. Federal hill is somewhere you go to, not where we live.

The official designation that Liam pointed out is just that, official. Which I beleive for the original question suffices. But the cultural aspect of it is often different.

I can never get my brain around the fact that Broadway is supposed to be Federal Hill. So I consider the Atwells area to be Federal Hill and the Broadway area as part of the "West Side." I also think of Olneyville as West Side, and Valley Street through Eagle Square. Since the Promenade is disconnected from the rest by the Atwells section of Federal Hill, I don't think of it as West Side, but I don't think of it as Downtown either since it is seperated by the mall. I guess I sort of see the Promenade as no-man's land or a southern extention of Smith Hill.

i think the actual neighborhoods are different than what people think of them... fed hill is only atwells to broadway for instance and ends at service road #8 or whatever that street is at the end of atwells by the pineapple, even though it goes down to westminster technically.

Yes, I was thinking of the West Side as a broader area than just the West End, which is a specific political district.

Do people who live in Elmhurst or Smith Hill think of themselves living on the West Side or do they just think of it as Elmhurst, Smith Hill, etc?

Yes, I was thinking of the West Side as a broader area than just the West End, which is a specific political district.

Do people who live in Elmhurst or Smith Hill think of themselves living on the West Side or do they just think of it as Elmhurst, Smith Hill, etc?

i live in elmhurst. and i consider smith hill to be smith hill. i don't really think of either of these neighborhoods to be west side neighborhoods. elmhurst is more northern providence than west.

Archived