Trolleys!

bluff2085

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing those pictures w/ us! did you get any of the monorail? i like how they painted it.

About 800,000 people ride the trolley annually which is 2192 average per day. the downtown loop was for tourists but the med center is for transport. gonna help all those rich doctors who move into one beale get to work.

is that blue skyway still over madison? i thought it was connected to baptist.

pretty good stuff, does anyone know what percentage of people actually use the trolley system for transit, or if its a pretty touristy thing?

A lot of people that work downtown, such as myself, ride the trolley for a quick lunch break or other quick trips to avoid the troubles of parking downtown.

is that blue skyway still over madison? i thought it was connected to baptist.

No its not. They took it down a couple of months before they imploded the hospital.

*Sigh* Why can't we have those in Nashville ? :(

All Nashville has to do is take some federal interstate highway money and apply it to public transit.

Ya think?

Memphis' 7 mile streetcar system was built with the funds that had been dedicated to routing I-40 through the heart of the city. When that got stopped, the DOT turned the money over to Memphis for public transit.

All Nashville has to do is take some federal interstate highway money and apply it to public transit.

Ya think?

Memphis' 7 mile streetcar system was built with the funds that had been dedicated to routing I-40 through the heart of the city. When that got stopped, the DOT turned the money over to Memphis for public transit.

Not likely to do that here, sadly. Although it would be nice to see a route running up 2nd, Church, Broadway through to West End..., heck even out to East Nashville (find the old maps of where the lines used to run and recreate them... I'll bet some of the old tracks are even under the pavement !).

Not likely to do that here, sadly. Although it would be nice to see a route running up 2nd, Church, Broadway through to West End..., heck even out to East Nashville (find the old maps of where the lines used to run and recreate them... I'll bet some of the old tracks are even under the pavement !).

ya, i have this book Pittsburg: Then and Now. It has pictures of the city from 1909-1930 and then it will have the same photo of the city except 1989-1992(about the time the book was first published) in some of the photos you can see the trolley lines of the city, and then in the modern photo you can see the exact outline of the tracks in the asphault they covered the cobblestone with. I thought it was pretty cool. one the best things about that book is the difference in greenery. The old photos have lots of steel factorys and smoke billowing everywhere, there is not a tree in site. even in the undeveloped areas. Whereas the modern photos have lots of greenery several factories are destroyed and you can see parks where there used to be 100 percent developed land.

Archived