Millstone Plantation

Glenn

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure about this idea... 75 acres for $4 Million. I think this land is too far from anything for its development rights to cost this much. Sure there is potential in the next 20 years, but $4 Million dollars worth of tax payer's money today seems like a giveaway. And we won't even own the land... just the rights to develop... I don't like it at all.

Millstone Purchase???

:stop:THIS MUST BE STOPPED!!!!! :stop:

The nerve of the Governor, and the state agency that would approve such a wasteful purchase!!! Did you all see the location graphic of where this property is in the news paper today? Yes it is near Thomasville Road, and Bannerman, but in no way is it in the path of major commercial development. The area where this property sits would go for nothing other than R1 use, single family housing. Add to this the fact that there are old structures on the property, and we're talking about the possibility of it turning into a development?! Get real!! You'd have to be a fool to develop this type of property... and even bigger fool to allow your government to pay the owner not to develop the property. THINK ABOUT IT PEOPLE.

You're sitting happy on your 75 acre farm with your horses free to roam about. You have plenty of room to entertain company, all the privacy in the world, and you're minutes from the grocery store, target, wal-mart, restaurants, banks, and a number of other retail/commercial facilities. Above all, your property is lake front... and the state is going to pay you to not develop it!?

What a steal... especially at a time when roads and infrastructure need the money... what a steal!

After checking into the property ownership, it appears the Conrad family will be the ones who really benefit from the State's "gift" of $4 Million to not develop this land over the next 20 years. What a deal...just like TJ said above, they get $4 Million to preserve a nice buffer around their own homes & not build anything around where they presently live. Heck...where do I sign up for that program??? What a sweet deal...at least for the Conrad's it is. They have this ficticuous "Millstone Institute for Preservation" & they promise ecological tours & public access but I bet none us us will ever set foot on "their" property after the State fills their pockets. Who are these people? Jack H. Conrad & J. Marshall Conrad What is their game? I'm with TJ...this burns me up! :angry:

After checking into the property ownership, it appears the Conrad family will be the ones who really benefit from the State's "gift" of $4 Million to not develop this land over the next 20 years. What a deal...just like TJ said above, they get $4 Million to preserve a nice buffer around their own homes & not build anything around where they presently live. Heck...where do I sign up for that program??? What a sweet deal...at least for the Conrad's it is. They have this ficticuous "Millstone Institute for Preservation" & they promise ecological tours & public access but I bet none us us will ever set foot on "their" property after the State fills their pockets. Who are these people? Jack H. Conrad & J. Marshall Conrad What is their game? I'm with TJ...this burns me up! :angry:

I've heard it rumored that they are friends of the governor. If it gets out that this is true... I'll be calling for some heads around here.

I've heard it rumored that they are friends of the governor.

I doubt that this is true. Based on today's report in the Democrat Tallahassee.com - Millstone Plantation:

"Gov. Jeb Bush and Chief Financial Officer Tom Gallagher also said they want an explanation of the $4 million price tag, which represents 76 percent of the land's value."

"Such conservation easements usually cost 50 percent to 60 percent of the land price, Armstrong said. The land's value was placed at $5.2 million, but DEP spokeswoman Sarah Williams said the land wasn't offered for sale. The easement price, Armstrong said, was based on the restrictions against future development."

"Bush indicated questions had been raised about whether the land could be developed. If that's true, he said, 'Then why would you buy it at all?'"

This looks like a DEP Division of State Lands problem with budgeting and haste. There is nothing to suggest that this deal has anything to do with the Governor's office.

State delays purchase of Millstone Plantation land :)

The purchase of development rights on 75 acres at Millstone Plantation was delayed Tuesday after concerns were raised by a member of the family that had owned the property.

Thank goodness for the estranged brother, J. Marshall Conrad, coming forward & putting a stop to this, or at least a delay, until further investigation is done into the whole matter. It sure was moving kind of fast & came out of nowhere right before the cabinet meeting. I'm glad the State has decided to delay making a decision on this property & look into the matter further. Hopefully the taxpayers won't waste $4 Million on this pet project that appears would only benefit the one brother, Jack H. Conrad.

• 10 months later...

When I'd heard of this I thought to myself, it must be some old historical plantation in North Leon County because I've never heard of it, and honestly to this day I don't think I could drive to this neighborhood. But I'll tell you this, if the state is in the business of buying properties like the one above, they must be unhappy with the Governor's Mansion because this looks like it belongs to the Ritz.

• 3 weeks later...

Millstone Plantation Tour

I took your directions Glenn and poked around in Millstone Plantation today. It wasn't quite as upscale as the home above would have you think, but it was a nice neighborhood. My only question? What litigitimate interest does the state of Florida have in purchasing a small piece of property in this neighborhood in the neighborhood of millions of dollars?

SonyShots022.jpg

SonyShots023.jpg

SonyShots024.jpg

SonyShots025.jpg

SonyShots026.jpg

SonyShots027.jpg

SonyShots028.jpg

SonyShots029.jpg

SonyShots030.jpg

SonyShots031.jpg

SonyShots032.jpg

SonyShots034.jpg

SonyShots035.jpg

SonyShots038-1.jpg

SonyShots039-1.jpg

SonyShots040-1.jpg

Now we all have a better idea of what this place looks like. Mystery solved!

Archived