Are you going?

Veloise

Hi folks--

Found this in my Sunday paper:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...=73234164993445

and it *almost* makes me want to go see the styrofoam facades! (Or should I spell that "faux-ades")

Seriously, anyone headed over to check out the spiffed-up Day-twah? As a former City employee, I have not been back since Campus Martius was a dusty construction site. (I worked in the Yzerman tower, which is apparently the same block as the double-wide snow slide.)

Interesting that there are several park & ride sites set up on the perimeter, to help alleviate parking and congestion...perhaps that will help illuminate the mass transit notion.

Nice photos in the Detroit forum. Looks like kids from U-M are commuting over to document the increasing frenzy!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of a worse weekend to visit Detroit than Superbowl weekend. I shudder at the thought of the rowdy out-of-town crowds and price gouging. It would be fun totake pictures of everything going on... as long as I could take them from a distance =:-)

I'm probably going to A2 the next weekend. We might make a road trip over if there's a good show to see. I'd have more fun looking at what's left of Detroit then.

I wish I could, but I don't have enough money for that sort of thing. Plus, the huge crowds and the traffic jams will cause headaches for a whole month. :wacko:
The cheapest tickets I just found online for the game are $2660 and the most expensive being over $9000... :rofl:

I'm interested to see if the Winter Blast event will be as big of a hit as they anticipate; I really hope it goes over well, because all the guests will be looking for interesting things to do and this is the best idea for Detroit to do with the cold and snow. I think the planners handled that part well.

The cheapest tickets I just found online for the game are $2660 and the most expensive being over $9000... :rofl:

I'm interested to see if the Winter Blast event will be as big of a hit as they anticipate; I really hope it goes over well, because all the guests will be looking for interesting things to do and this is the best idea for Detroit to do with the cold and snow. I think the planners handled that part well.

Hey, I didn't ask if you were going to the game! (Saw an article about Pittsburgh fans driving here to go find a bar in which to watch the game. WTF??)

Last time, my mother and I went shopping. Stores were open and parking lots were empty (this was in Southfield, some 15 miles south of Pontiac). And I checked out "Bourbon Street North," which was a nice try for the vacant buildings in the CBD strip.

Couple years ago my Houston suburbanite brother went downtown there, just to check out their new light rail and mingle. (OK, he was also hoping to see some sights.)

But then I grew up in the area, and still follow events like the Thanksgiving parade (was a regular marcher in it until I moved here).

Archived