Columbus Transportation Projects

ATLman1

• 2 months later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen a rendering of the new flyovers being constructed at I-185 and Victory Drive? I was down that way this weekend and the bridges are beginning to take shape even though it's difficult to tell exactly how they will run.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen anything yet. If someone has something that would be nice!

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't seen anything yet. If someone has something that would be nice!

I haven't seen anything yet either. The smart thing would have been to turn I-185 there and make it terminate at GA 26 in Chattachoochee County, but I doubt that's what they did...

I haven't seen anything yet either. The smart thing would have been to turn I-185 there and make it terminate at GA 26 in Chattachoochee County, but I doubt that's what they did...

Going into Fort Benning Yesterday I looked closely at the construction and it looks like a service road or exit ramp is being built near the Cussetta Road overpass then runs almost a mile down to Victory drive. It appears that route will go overtop Victory Drive then circle back across the top of I-185 and Victory Drive once more then come back down onto the North bound lanes. It is really worth watching because where construction stands now it's hard to determine exactly whats going on. I have been able to see the new lanes on I-185 will run in the previous center median

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a public meeting on 3/18 to discuss the possible widening of Talbotoon Road between 12th Avenue and Woodlawn Drive. This is a long overdue project in my opinion the congestion on that street in the morning and evenings is ridculous.

Interestingly, that stretch of Talbotton has the lowest traffic counts, from 12 to 13,000. It seems that the addition of a single center turn-lane (three lanes total) would serve very well here and avoid overkill. Of course, this is also the route along which the trolley was to have traveled. How much University traffic would have been diverted. Or are those potential users already riding Metra or Cougar transit?

Overkill happened when Macon Road between Reese and US80 was widened to 5 lanes. There are no more, and maybe fewer cars on that road than before the road was widened. Unless some developer gets a clue and builds some vertical residential along the Talbotton-Warm Springs-Gentian-Milgen route, it's not clear to me where much more east-west additional traffic would originate from - besides the aforementioned University traffic.

SEEN: Surveyors at the western terminus of North Bypass at US80 @ 280. That stretch of freeway is in the 2030 MPO as numbers 12 & 13 and 24 & 25. Hopefully, this is a good sign. Many of the projects on the slate before this one have been completed or are underway...

SEEN: Surveyors at the western terminus of North Bypass at US80 @ 280. That stretch of freeway is in the 2030 MPO as numbers 12 & 13 and 24 & 25. Hopefully, this is a good sign. Many of the projects on the slate before this one have been completed or are underway...

Are you referring to the Swift site behind the Midland Wal-Mart Supercenter?

• 2 months later...

Website, hearings allow sound-off on transportation

A new website has been launched by state officials that will allow Georgians to sound-off on transportation plans. In conjunction with that, officials will begin a seven-city listening tour to allow residents to speak directly to decision-makers. The tour begins September 22nd in Macon, and will make stops in Savannah, Dalton, Atlanta, Valdosta, Columbus and Augusta. The website open for public comment is www.IT3.ga.gov

• 3 weeks later...

Website, hearings allow sound-off on transportation

A new website has been launched by state officials that will allow Georgians to sound-off on transportation plans. In conjunction with that, officials will begin a seven-city listening tour to allow residents to speak directly to decision-makers. The tour begins September 22nd in Macon, and will make stops in Savannah, Dalton, Atlanta, Valdosta, Columbus and Augusta. The website open for public comment is www.IT3.ga.gov

And this little bit about extending I-185 south through Albany to Tallahassee...

Now if we could get them to go north and turn it into a real Interstate.

• 1 month later...

Moon Road Will Be Widened

The first Phase of the Moon Road Widening project is almost complete from J.R. Allen Parkway to slightly south of Whittlesley Blvd. Looks like Columbus council has approved the widening of some more of moon road now. Below is a article from the Ledger Enquier

The city of Columbus is moving forward with a $6 million plan to widen Moon Road.

Rick Jones, director of the city's Planning Department, said 12,000 to 20,000 vehicles travel the busy street every day. Using money from the Local Option Sales Tax, the city wants to widen the street to three lanes from Wilbur Drive to Stone Mill Drive with improvements at intersections, Jones told Columbus Council on Tuesday.

The widening option was favored from five plans because it improves capacity and safety, provides sidewalks and no residents are displaced for the project.

Work on the road was proposed 15 years ago to control traffic. And concerned resident Jim Rhodes has followed the process every step of the way.

"We have been fighting for this for years," Rhodes said outside the council chambers. "We need it."

City officials will return to the 10-member council early next year to brief them on design plans for the project.

Moon Road is one of many road projects the city plans to tackle with money from the new sales tax. On July 15, voters approved the tax that will generate $36 million a year in revenue. The mayor and the council have agreed to spend 70 percent on public safety and 30 percent on roads and infrastructure improvements

Good news for residents that commute to Fort Benning looks like the base is opening a new access point off Schatulga Road near Green acres Cemetary. I passed by that area today and noticed the structure is already up and a new road is being built currently. This will be great for reducing traffic congestion at the I-185 access point especaillt when BRAC is completed moving almost 36,000 new people into the Columbus area by 2011.

Good news for residents that commute to Fort Benning looks like the base is opening a new access point off Schatulga Road near Green acres Cemetary. I passed by that area today and noticed the structure is already up and a new road is being built currently. This will be great for reducing traffic congestion at the I-185 access point especaillt when BRAC is completed moving almost 36,000 new people into the Columbus area by 2011.

I thought that was going to be a 'construction' entrance for people working on the new Armor ranges. I could be wrong.

I thought that was going to be a 'construction' entrance for people working on the new Armor ranges. I could be wrong.

Actually you may be correct and I may be the one who is mistaken. I passed by the new structure before I posted the orginal article and I was assuming that it was going to be a new access point since so many residents had complained about Moye Road should be reopened. The structure closely resembles that off the access points on South Lumpkin Road and Fort Benning Road.

Does anyone no when they are suppose to start putting up the new concrete walls and barrier walls on the highway I185 that goes threw columbus georgia down to fort benning.I was watching wltz news in columbus about 4 to 5 months back and they said that they were suppose to be taking and ripping up the old concrete walls on the highway I185 in columbus and they were going to replace the old concrete walls with newer and more updated concrete walls.But this was a few months back when I heard about this on wltz news in columbus.I drove down the highway I185 in columbus yesterday and I do not see anything happening yet to the concrete walls on I185 highway in columbus.They have not even got started on the concrete walls yet on I185 highway in columbus because they still have the old molded concrete walls up still on I185 highway in columbus.I hope they still do change the concrete walls on I185 in columbus. Because they need to be changed because there old and molded so the old molded concrete walls on I185 need to be ripped and taken up and replaced with newer and updated concrete walls.