Columbus Transportation Projects

ATLman1

Columbus transportation planners have made a smart decision in 3-laning Moon Rd. Since it's not over capacity in daily trips, but the many left turns on the road add to congestion, a middle turnlane should really ease congestion economically. The city has usually added too many lanes unnecessarily at too great expense. Woodruff Road and east Macon Road are two examples.

Now if the traffic management folks could get the traffic light duration at North Columbus Crossing right. There're more turn lanes but the lights are too short to unload the lanes...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well Good news for residents of Southeast Columbus. Construction has begun on a extension of Antienam Drive. Residents had long wanted the street expansion because since Ft. Benning closed access points on St. Marys road there has only been one road out of the lower St. Marys road area of Columbus. which is largely residentail with numerous subdivisions and Apartments.

The new extension will connect Bunker Hill Road to Old Cussetta Road near the Ft. Benning Access point at Old Cussetta. Below are a couple of photos I got of the progress.

Tr7mFUKe2W.jpg

IBWIazNt6s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A 2005 Regional Planning project by the Army Corp and University of Illinois LEAM showed the I-14 route through the Columbus area as below:

post-13798-1228485409_thumb.jpg

Which seems kind of weird to take it back north like that unless the plan is to link up with I-85 in Opelika...

That seems kind of wierd that they would take it that route. It looks like it follows Victory Drive (US Hwy 280) through Columbus. In my opinion it would be odd to bring a interstate that way since it is so developed. The previous routes I had seen showed it coming off I-85 in Auburn and following a route near US 80 to Phenix City then take JR Allen Parkway into Columbus turn south and link up with I-185 to Victory Drive US 280 and follow 280 south.

That seems kind of wierd that they would take it that route. It looks like it follows Victory Drive (US Hwy 280) through Columbus. In my opinion it would be odd to bring a interstate that way since it is so developed. The previous routes I had seen showed it coming off I-85 in Auburn and following a route near US 80 to Phenix City then take JR Allen Parkway into Columbus turn south and link up with I-185 to Victory Drive US 280 and follow 280 south.

You're right. That would never happen. The other ones I've seen are follow US80 almost to Muscogee but turn south thru Marion and Chattachoochee and keep going west. Event bring it across via the bypass and then down 185 would be a congestion nightmare with the traffic potential. 185 can't be widened any more without alot of condemnation of houses and businesses... Otherwise, across extreme north Muscogee and across the Chatt into Lee County would be desirable. A bridge across the river in the northern area would be nice.

• 5 weeks later...

It got buried in the State section of the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer (article here), but the State Transportation honchos have come together to bring a message of doom to the Governor and new legislature. Underfunding transportation could cost Georgia hundreds of thousands of jobs in future years. The IT3 project is a centerpiece in the report the State leadership.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to see a road improvement done on a section of jr allen parkway in columbus because when your getting onto jr allen parkway from 280 in phenix city and when your crossing the chatoochie river going into columbus once you cross the chatoochie river and go into columbus on jr allen parkway its a two lane on boths sides of jr allen parkway when you cross the river into columbus on jr allen parkway I think they need to widden that section of jr allen parkway in columbus where its a two lane on boths sides of the highway so they need to widden that section of jr allen parkway in columbus where its two lanes on boths sides into a three lane on boths sides of jr allen parkway like add an extra lane on the north bound lane of jr allen parkway and add an extra lane to the south bound lane of jr allen parkway to help traffic flow better in that area of jr allen parkway because when im traveling and when I cross the chattoochie river going into columbus on jr allen parkway them two lanes on each side on jr alleen parkway in columbus seems to hold traffic up and makes traffic slow down also in this area is where that bad car accident happen when a mom and her daughter got killed in a car wreck on that two lane on jr allen parkway.

• 2 months later...

I have a question for anyone who can answer it ok its about the veterans parkway overlay district does anyone know if it has been approved yet by the columbus city council because I was on there website on www.columbusga.org columbus consolidated government and it said that the veterans parkway overlay district was approved by the columbus city council.

I have a question for anyone who can answer it ok its about the veterans parkway overlay district does anyone know if it has been approved yet by the columbus city council because I was on there website on www.columbusga.org columbus consolidated government and it said that the veterans parkway overlay district was approved by the columbus city council.

I believe I did hear something about council approving it a coupleof weeks back. They were still trying to secure federal stimulus funds for a shovel ready project to fund it as well as the new white water radting on the chattahochee downtown

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe there will actually be something to talk about with regards to major transportation projects in Columbus now that a local boy is in charge of the DOT. Below is the LE article on Vance Smith moving into the position has head of DOT.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news/story/753544.html

This should be a big win for Columbus and the region. Hopefully a lot more projects will happen now, especially the 4-laning of Veterans Pwky and the proposed I-14 and I-185 projects.

• 1 month later...

This should be a big win for Columbus and the region. Hopefully a lot more projects will happen now, especially the 4-laning of Veterans Pwky and the proposed I-14 and I-185 projects.

Maybe, but what's Vance's role really. The new structure took alot of the power away from the Commissioner and board. AJC Article here...

• 1 month later...

So our Eastern Connector isn't being funded. Rick Jones' assertion that it's purely price tag can't be the whole truth. A comment in the L-E article said several projects around the state (one in our 'hood - Troup County) got $25 million in funds. LaGrange Daily News article.

A quick look at the CCG's 2008-11 transportation plan indicates no engineering or right-of-way funds expended on the project. Maybe the project just wasn't really 'shovel ready'.... or could it be something political?

I wonder if Columbus has had a tendency to rely a little too heavily on other funding. Maybe we should have a penny gas tax or something to get projects off the ground.

Edited by aboutmetro

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help but wonder if (and if not why) any thought was given to re-engineering the interchange at I-185 and Victory Dr (US 280) at Fort Benning's entrance. Could the project been visioned to extend I-185 thought Benning to at least Chattachoochee County. It seemed a perfect opportunity to begin I-185's extension.

8c8c928c-cfd7-4c52-8912-78bd958cc013.JPG

post-13798-1254920422_thumb.png

Edited by aboutmetro

• 10 months later...

public forum set for tues 4-6 pm on final proposal to widen Warm Springs from Hilton to Med Ctr. This is the revised plan, so that hopefully this project will finally be underway soon. Anyone who drives that section of WS knows that widening/improvements are long overdue.

• 2 months later...

Well I guess someone in Atlanta has finally taken note that Traffic congestion does exist in places besides metro Atlanta. Columbus is finally getting freeway cameras added to Interstate 185. As of right now the only installed cameras are between Victory Drive and St. Marys Road. I would imagine that soon they will be added even further up the interstate being that in my opionion the worst traffic is between Macon Road and Airport Thruway. Hopefully soon these will be avalialble on the Georgia navigator site.

Also does anyone know how wide the highway will be between St marys and Victory it looks like its going to be wider than 6 lanes like the rest of the highway.

mitchella81 when will the freeway camercas be installed on interstate i185 if they have already been installed then what website can you go to to see them.

A few of them are up already I doubt they aer yet functional being that construction is not complete yet I've counted a total of 7 so far between St. Marys and Victory Drive. I expect when functional they will be on Georgia navigator.com

• 3 weeks later...

Columbus finally has its first major roundabout - link to CLE article as long as it's good...

Maybe more could be on the way - an ideal spot for one would be at Wynnton & Buena Vista roads interesection (at the fountain). In fact the fountain would make a great centerpiece...

EVintersection_3_760675c.jpg

AJC article regarding roundabouts and other traffic experiments - link