Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRDadof3

Sculpture Exhibit Downtown Grand Rapids

A little birdie sent me this:

From the Gardens to the Grand:

Meijer Gardens sponsored exhibit will feature bronze sculptures from Tom Otterness, 22 in all, throughout downtown and at the Meijer Gardens, starting June 2006. There will be four along the river, a couple on Monroe Center, and the rest scattered throughout downtown. I hear sizes may range from 4 to 40 feet tall :shok:

Should be way cool! :shades:

If it was upright and downtown, that thing would be something! Looks kind of morbid but playful and childish, thats entertaining.

thats ridiculous! the size and scale of everything.. Next thing you know he'll have skyscrapers building skyscrapes, I'm in!

I'm guessing we won't see some 40' tall sculptures downtown, I bet thoes will be reserved for open greenspace at FMG... Thanks for links Dad.

Hopefully they dont place a big 40 ft tall sculpture next to a building that is shorter then 40 feet :blush:

I think that'd be cool looking, a huge sculpture dude, next to a building looking down

Article hit this morning about the exhibition in the GRPress. I guess FMG was at the DDA meeting yesterday and got $25K to support the exhibit.

$400K budget total, $100K each from Frey and Meijer Foundations with corporate and individual gifts picking up the rest of the tab. Site sponsorships? Gotta be.

Article says more than 20 sculptures, but I read 26 somewhere.

Downtown's going to be packed to the rafters with people this summer.

Article hit this morning about the exhibition in the GRPress. I guess FMG was at the DDA meeting yesterday and got $25K to support the exhibit.

$400K budget total, $100K each from Frey and Meijer Foundations with corporate and individual gifts picking up the rest of the tab. Site sponsorships? Gotta be.

Article says more than 20 sculptures, but I read 26 somewhere.

Downtown's going to be packed to the rafters with people this summer.

That's awesome! A great excuse to invite friends and family to come visit GR this summer. This and all the tower cranes :w00t:

Article on GRNow today. I'm really looking forward to this! It'll bring so much more foot traffic downtown this summer. Maybe now's the time to start working on that downtown ice cream shop idea...

Sure, and make it a House of Flavors, a successful up north chain.

House of Flavors, in Ludington? I didn't know it was a chain. I knew they manufactured ice cream. I think they have a single ice cream shop in Ludington. There's a House of Flavors in Pentwater too...but I didn't think they were the same thing. Help?

House of Flavors, in Ludington? I didn't know it was a chain. I knew they manufactured ice cream. I think they have a single ice cream shop in Ludington. There's a House of Flavors in Pentwater too...but I didn't think they were the same thing. Help?

They have locations in Pentwater, Ludington and Manistee. They used to also have locations in Cadillac and Traverse City. Their manufacturing plant is in Ludington.

If they're talking bridges, they must mean the blue trestle bridge and the one between DeVos Place and the Ford Museum. I can't imagine there being enough room on Fulton, Pearl or Michigan Ave. bridges.

Where else? Any other site speculation?