Sculpture Exhibit Downtown Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

That's what she said...

My bad... That was a wierd context.

You know, the four of us should get together at this spot and stare at the space where the sculpture was. While staring we should recite our conversation. We can have it taped and then televised on 8, 13, 17 as advertisement for the Otterness Exhibit. People would be either enlightened or disgusted; that would be so very artsy.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the four of us should get together at this spot and stare at the space where the sculpture was. While staring we should recite our conversation. We can have it taped and then televised on 8, 13, 17 as advertisement for the Otterness Exhibit. People would be either enlightened or disgusted; that would be so very artsy.

Rizzo, are you an Aquarian?

Rizzo, are you an Aquarian?

No, I am a Piscean.

this Sign brings together many of the characteristics of the eleven Signs that have come before it. Pisceans, however, are happiest keeping many of these qualities under wraps. These folks are selfless, spiritual and very focused on their inner journey. They also place great weight on what they are feeling. Yes, feelings define Pisceans, and it's not uncommon for them to feel their own burdens (and joys) as well as those of others. The intuition of the Pisces-born is highly-evolved. Many people associate Pisceans with dreams and secrets, and it's a fair association, since those born under this Sign feel comfortable in an illusory world.

-- http://www.astrology.com/allaboutyou/sunsigns/pisces.html

Heh heh, heh heh, heh heh...

[i have never watched Beavis & His Friend but I understand that's how they'd react.]

I'd prefer that insightful coverage appear in print: easier for folks to find and share with friends. Think of the publicity!

[made a special trip to the DT art gallery to see the related exposition, based on comments on this here NG]

I didn't even notice this little guy before, peering down on us all!

So that's where that one is! I remember looking at the map showing that the "Death Figure" was on the bridge, but I expected it to be on a pedistal like the other two. I guess people are supposed to look around a little harder.

• 3 weeks later...

No, as far as I know speaking with one of the volunteers. They clean the sculptures at the spot they were placed. Apparently, someone took some vice grips and yanked off a peewee -- I mean penis.

:dontknow:

Such a good story, but seemingly an urban legend.

On Saturday I encountered the intern brass-polisher (at Big Big Penny). Asked about this. She said that the scuplture (was it Eat the Rich?) had gotten pushed over and scraped up. No mention of bronze body parts, vandalism, souvenir-hunters, or censors.

The penny had quite a few cobwebs on it; popular with spiders.

• 3 weeks later...

Next weekend (the 10th) is the last weekend for Otterness. A great FREE activity, and great exercise as well. I read that they estimate 450,000 people have visited the exhibit (I wonder how they do that).

Those holes in the eyes? placeholders for cameras :whistling:

You dont want to know where the camera was on the one in front of the eberhard center

• 9 months later...

When I was at the Meijer Gardens a few weeks ago for the Butterfly exhibit, I thought I noticed they had a couple of the Otterness sculptures stored in the area between the glass building and the ampitheater. Did Meijer buy any of them? Does anyone know about this?

When I was at the Meijer Gardens a few weeks ago for the Butterfly exhibit, I thought I noticed they had a couple of the Otterness sculptures stored in the area between the glass building and the ampitheater. Did Meijer buy any of them? Does anyone know about this?

Archived