Sculpture Exhibit Downtown Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why they placed "Free Money" in front of the courthouse?

I think that's what the artist wants us to figure out. Maybe he's trying to suggest something???

Personally, that's what I like about this guy's work. They're fun and comical, but they talk about really touchy subjects, like money, race, sex and class, and depending on where they're located the conversation changes.

I hope there's something going in today.

Looks like there's a Members reception for those of you with FMG memberships. May 30....7pm...includes a presentation by the artist as well as a preview of the pieces.

Sounds cool; I will be attending along with Mrs. LocalTalent, so you know the paparazzi will be there.

Hey - we didn't get our members invite! Must be stuck in the mail. -_- We just got our May GR Magazine for cry'in outloud :huh:

Does anyone think if this is a success in the community that people will become more interested in another project for public art downtown? More specifically a permanent structure, rather then a temporary exhibit.

Caught two more installations today, "King and Queen".

148826805_c2d864154c.jpg

I think the Brinks driver thought I was "casing" him (oops).

148826807_6787b2bd02.jpg

How fitting is King and Queen at 200 Ottawa. You're right about the inferred meanings behind their placement.

I think Meijer needs to purchase all of these sculptures and donate them to the city. They are SO cool, and he has some extra cash since everyone is turning down his gracious offers to donate money left and right (want a zoo? nope! Want a paved trail? nope!). We'll take the sculptures, Fred! :)

Joe

Party at the Amway! I see Otterness doesn't miss the anatomical details.

149447102_b7aa56e9c6.jpg

"Educating the Rich on Globe" is an interesting piece with much detail also...

150361259_78d7eb635f.jpg

150361260_4df6ade8ca.jpg

I have 2 daughters in college and I'd like to have Otterness explain this one to me. The girl is studying while sitting on a rich guy with no pants. They are on top of the world that is being held up by four people, including one naked female. I didn't climb on it to see if the book has any writing. Big sigh...I'm glad we didn't act like that when I was in college :rofl: .

Once again the placement is great. Old LV Eberhard would be spinning if he knew there was a naked guy in his front yard.

These pieces really are very good. I hope some of them find permanent homes around here.

150371816_26efed6f1f.jpg

I'm sure that when a lot more people realize this exhibit exists you'll hear the fowl. I didn't realize the sculptures had so much to do with sex roles as I once thought.

My daughters had dolls that were more realistic than these sculptures. Some may be about sex, power and money (well, all but a few), but the "private parts" are subtle and the art is easily appreciated. These will be fine as long as they stay 6 feet away from the customers and there's no touching. :rofl:

They made dolls with penises and vaginas!? My word.... :shok::lol:

No Rizzo, they weren't that correct. I meant dolls like Barbie are more lifelike than these sculptures. Otterness' work is cartoon art as opposed to Mark London's lap dancers. Those who oppose the later can easily accept the former. They are very different.

Archived