Washington DC to add 100,000 ppl

M. Brown

There was been some debate about the high number of people living in the DC area and living conditions - ie. traffic, high cost of living. Some say businesses have started shying away bc of that. Others say it has little effect. I have noticed a few companies are looking to move into further into the burbs , Reston, Fairfax, etc.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was been some debate about the high number of people living in the DC area and living conditions - ie. traffic, high cost of living. Some say businesses have started shying away bc of that. Others say it has little effect. I have noticed a few companies are looking to move into further into the burbs , Reston, Fairfax, etc.

I have heard the same thing. I could be wrong, but according to the Washington, DC Government website, DC has had a net lost of jobs since 2004. With some 20,000 government jobs moving from DC, Arlingtion, and Alexandria to Ft. Belvoir and Prince William County many jobs indeed are moving further out.

The old downtown area around the MCI Center and Gallery Place has really come back to life. Many people are moving back to the city, but there are still vast areas of the city (NE, SE and SW) which need lots of work. Until these vast areas are tackled by people who would renovate the huge existing housing stock in these areas and inject new development within existing "forgotten" neighborhoods, Dc won't be seeing a huge population increase. How long it will take, I can't say, but things are moving.

Reports say DC is still losing people.

Census Reports Decline in D.C. Population

Skeptical City Officials Plan to Challenge Estimates as Tallies Rise in Md. and Va.

Forget the swank loft condos rising everywhere, the rehabbed row houses, the abandoned public-housing complexes bulldozed and rebuilt. Forget the suburbanites and former urban refugees who are flocking to the city for its nightlife, easy commute and neighborhoods suddenly reborn.

The number of people living in the District has shrunk by nearly 4,000 in the past year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau: 3,718 fewer people, to be exact.

article

The old downtown area around the MCI Center and Gallery Place has really come back to life. Many people are moving back to the city, but there are still vast areas of the city (NE, SE and SW) which need lots of work. Until these vast areas are tackled by people who would renovate the huge existing housing stock in these areas and inject new development within existing "forgotten" neighborhoods, Dc won't be seeing a huge population increase. How long it will take, I can't say, but things are moving.

I believe what the census bureau numbers really indicate that the people moving into DC tend to be married couples with no children and single people both gay and straight. DC continues to loose families who abandon the city for PG and Montgomery to escape the substandard schools and high crime. This is what the District Government secretly wants. These highly educated and overpaid people that are moving into the city generally require less city services than families and they tend to have alot of disposible income and pay alot in taxes. The 100,000 additional residents will not come until housing cost decline some and DC does something about its abysmal school system and its high crime rate.

That is a very ambitious goal for DC. I don't think its possible unless Congress re-annexes the former VA section of DC.

Arlington County: 189,453

Next time, please think before you post because that post has come off to me as a very racially bias statement.

Next time, please think before you post because that post has come off to me as a very racially bias statement.

I have read Spartan's post over and over again and I don't see how he was trying to be racist...?? Am I missing something here?

I think he was just agreeing with pretty much everyone else on this board in saying that there is no way DC will add 100,000 people by the 2010. DC has LOST people since 2000, so they bascially would have to add 100,000 in the next 4 years for that to come true. There is just no way that can happen.

Please clarify this :huh: . I cannot find the racial tone in his statement which you refer to. Though this statement is almost 2 years old, perhaps if you pm him with your concerns he can address them for you, as i'm sure he is unaware that u feel this way.

• 4 months later...

This article appeared in the DC City Paper on the District's failing attempt to add 100,000 people to the city's population.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/cover/2006/cover0505.html

With failing schools and ever increasing housing costs DC government should work to try to reduce the tide of families leaving the city rather focusing on adding to the population.

• 1 month later...

DC lost 21,538 people between 2000-2005 = -4%

DC continues to be moving the wrong direction when it comes to population. The city needs to really get serious about improving schools if they want to stem the tide of families leaving the city. Also the city should stop giving lip service and get serious about increasing affordable housing!

DC lost 21,538 people between 2000-2005 = -4%

DC continues to be moving the wrong direction when it comes to population. The city needs to really get serious about improving schools if they want to stem the tide of families leaving the city. Also the city should stop giving lip service and get serious about increasing affordable housing!

That and stop the corruption and thuggery that occurs on all levels of government.

That and stop the corruption and thuggery that occurs on all levels of government.

The Williams administration is far better than its predecessors, but there is still much dead wood to be cleared out of the forest.

Archived