Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rbdetsport

Detroit's Future With The Superbowl

Detroit is definetly giving all of the bad impressions about the city a run for there money. Detroit has improved so much and peoples opinions are improving. I am wondering though, if Detroit's Superbowl is a huge hit with economic impact, merchandise bought, etc., will Detroit make more bids for future superbowls?

I'm sure they will. Actually, while the Superbowl is important, the city has been linning up events for nearly every year since this whole transformation started. Detroit's always been a place to hold large-scale events, even when the downtown wasn't always that safe or attractive, so things are REALLY going to take off now. The city still has many more events to prepare for such as the Final Four, and this is not to mention the huge, yearly staple of the NAIAS. It always annoys me when people suggest that after the Superbowl, the city is just going to go back to its former self. That's nearly impossible now considering how much has been invested in the downtown area. This isn't a temporary change like after the Republican national convention.

i am a firm believer that investment is a creature of momentum... It submits to the Field of Dreams school of thought where if you build it, they will will come. The Billions of dollars (buildings and highways fixes) that have been invested over the past 6 years WILL lay the groundwork for a post-superbowl boom. We all know that a lot of the quick fixes are artificial and merely cosmetic, but don't underestimate those. The new street lights, the cleaned facades and the safe sidewalks have raised a uniform baseline standard for what to expect over downtown. I remember walking down woodward a few years ago and being seriously scared of what was around the corner... there were NO lights on and something like that is not going to make an investor jump on a property. What we have now is a clean and BRIGHT downtown with signs of hope and prosperity at every corner. I expect to see continued investment downtown and I also look for leadership to push for similar intiatives than what has occured at campus martius... specifically, I look at the Grand Circus Park corridor as the next great development center. I have to believe, given the lack of investment at the JL, that a new arena is not far off, and I expect to see the Ford Field (or camden yards if you're a baseball guy like me) of hockey rinks. Remember, the Illitches with the salary cap are making money on this team and I think they are in position to give back (i know, they were the only team in the league to not drop ticket prices but I can hope).

In addition to the CBD, the base for a development explosion is being laid along the riverfront and there is real money to work with here. I think these next few years will be a very exciting time for detroit. Also, given the near crisis the city finds it self in financially, this could be the make it or break it time for Detroit. Therefore, continued investment is essential for survival and hope.

Detroit is definetly giving all of the bad impressions about the city a run for there money. Detroit has improved so much and peoples opinions are improving. I am wondering though, if Detroit's Superbowl is a huge hit with economic impact, merchandise bought, etc., will Detroit make more bids for future superbowls?

As far as future superbowls in Detroit, the reason you guys were rewarded with the superbowl in the first place is the NFL's policy of encouraging cities to build new stadiums. That is the same reason Jacksonville had it last year. The game gets moved around only for that reason, otherwise it would continue to rotate between San Diego, New Orleans (obviously on sabbatical for a while) and Miami.

The event currently only rotates between a dozen or so cities. Hasn't the Superbowl only been played in something like 12 different cities since the event was created? While how the game goes off isn't of much importance to the NFL they are certainly not going to make the city one of the more likely cities to hold the event in if the event doesn't go that great. A place like Jacksonville isn't probably going to have it again for a very long time, new stadium or not.

As far as future superbowls in Detroit, the reason you guys were rewarded with the superbowl in the first place is the NFL's policy of encouraging cities to build new stadiums. That is the same reason Jacksonville had it last year. The game gets moved around only for that reason, otherwise it would continue to rotate between San Diego, New Orleans (obviously on sabbatical for a while) and Miami.

I know that Daly and Co. are keeping an eye on how Detroit does... rumor is that Chicago wouldn't mind giving it a shot. One problem... Soldier Field is:

1. Ugly

2. Not a dome

an interesting fact... an NFL championship game was played in Chicago Stadium way back in 1932... the NFL's first indoor game... one problem... 70 yard field :silly:

300px-1932_NFL_playoff_game.jpg

If this Super Bowl goes off like I think it will then Detroit will be in line for more opportunities. Like every 15 years or something like that.

SBXL was a nice push for Detroit. But I think it can coast on its own now without another Superbowl on the horizon because while Detroit may have made it more likely another northern city will host it in a few more years it'll probably be awhile before Detroit City itself gets it again. But there are other events we can try to land.

Don't forget the annual Movement (Detroit's Electronic Music Festival)! It draws about a million visitors and many people from out of town although they may not be as rich as Superbowl attendees but it does last for 3 days during Memorial Day weekend.

The changes downtown are most certainly tangible; enough so, in fact, that the critical mass is already there. I may have reserved doubt even as early as the beginning of last year that the downtown hadn't turned the corner, but there isn't even a doubt in my mind anymore that downtown is far enough around the bend that it is almost a self-sustaining neighborhood. Add a small grocery store, and it won't be missing anything.

I think the city will keep on getting occasional events, plus the yearly auto show, and all of the events the city makes itself.

I heard somewhere that that autoshow actually brings in more direct money than the superbowl, is that true? I think that the superbowl will have a greater indirect benifit than the autoshow because of all of the preperations and improvements. But how much money do each of the major events bring in. Does anyone know?

Thats true but the NAIAS has never spurred the kinds of development that the Super Bowl has. Do the figures take into account businesses and renovations downtown because of this week?

They are two different types of events, one is permanent (for as long as the show decides to stay in Detroit) and one is transient. You really can't compare the two. One spurred more development, and one brings in more direct money in its time here than the other. Both are important, and there is no need for anyone to try to pit them against eachother.

I spent about 6 hours downtown and I was blown away. If it is at all possible for you, take an afternoon off and just take everything in. Go to Compuware where FSN is broadcasting then definitely visit the Ren Cen and check out what ESPN is doing. If you watch the 11 pm SportsCenter tonite you should be able to see my ugly mug. Im right behind Chad Johnson in his interview with Stuart Scott. And earlier in the day I met both of them. Great experience and something you dont always get to do. This was just the first day too, its supposed to get crazier. I cant even remember all the faces I saw.