Davis-Kidd Closes Jackson Store

northernbizzkit1

This is a sad one...Davis-Kidd will be closing its store in Jackson in the next week or two...apparently a liquidation sale is going on right now...For more, see the latest Memphis Business Journal. Apparently this is due to poor sales and the company's desire to focus more on its Memphis and Nashville stores. I still am hoping for a bigger Memphis store...or even a second one...Davis-Kidd is my fave in Memphis...it's just far from G'town...I'd love to see a Davis-Kidd open downtown...be a landmark bookstore for the region!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Yeah it is sad. I think Kyle had a thread on this not long ago when they first announced it. I think location killed this store, being that Books-A-Million and so much of the other retail areas that some much of the region shops at are near "The Columns",Vann Drive/I-40/US 45, and points north. D-K was off US 45 south of the Mall, not a spot in the city alot of shoppers pass by unless they're locals.

Bookland in Old Hickory Mall is also going out of business. So its basically down to Books-A-Million.

Sidenote of losing bookstores: There used to be two bookstores in Martin (Home of UT-Martin, 6K students). One ran by a college professor who had perhaps the best collection of used books outside of Memphis or Nashville, he died sadly a few years ago and so did the store. While the other bookstore closed just last year, it was more of a high end gift shop with a good decent selection of books. Its a shame that a university town does not have a bookstore, but neither does Murray State University in Murray, KY (10K students) either. You would think these college towns could support a modest bookstore/coffee shop.

I have to go to Paducah, KY or Jackson for books, and usually Nashville for speciality/used books.

There was an article in the CA today or yesterday about Midtown Books--Memphis' largest used bookstore, located in--midtown obviously--opening up a store downtown.

But it would be nice for downtown Memphis to have something like a Barnes and Nobles as well. They have a store on the Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis that's just fantastic.

Of course, downtown Minneapolis, or close to it, has over 40,000 college students.

^ Yeah it is sad. I think Kyle had a thread on this not long ago when they first announced it. I think location killed this store, being that Books-A-Million and so much of the other retail areas that some much of the region shops at are near "The Columns",Vann Drive/I-40/US 45, and points north. D-K was off US 45 south of the Mall, not a spot in the city alot of shoppers pass by unless they're locals.

Bookland in Old Hickory Mall is also going out of business. So its basically down to Books-A-Million.

Sidenote of losing bookstores: There used to be two bookstores in Martin (Home of UT-Martin, 6K students). One ran by a college professor who had perhaps the best collection of used books outside of Memphis or Nashville, he died sadly a few years ago and so did the store. While the other bookstore closed just last year, it was more of a high end gift shop with a good decent selection of books. Its a shame that a university town does not have a bookstore, but neither does Murray State University in Murray, KY (10K students) either. You would think these college towns could support a modest bookstore/coffee shop.

I have to go to Paducah, KY or Jackson for books, and usually Nashville for speciality/used books.

Bookland closing is news to me. Maybe Barnes & Noble (who owns Bookland) is trying to open up a real B & N up north or something. At the very least, let's hope that something along the lines of Waldenbooks opens up(or we get a new mall :silly: ).

I think a bookstore like Davis Kidd would be a perfect tenant for the ground floor of the old UP headquarters building on the corner of Madison and Front (at least I heard that was the old headquarters; I'm not talking about 100 N. Main) directly across from the soon-to-be relocated law school.

Archived