Roanoke Mass Transit

weill

I think Valley Metro should increase service (current timetable 5:45am - 8:45pm). What is the point of a mass transit system that only runs every hour (except peak service) and only during "work" hours AND no transit on Sundays (Ukropsish?) I think they dont care about the citizens commuting in ROANOKE. They did a good job with RADAR (Disabled Transit) and Smart Way (linking Roanoke, Salem, Virginia Tech, and Blacksburg) but now its time to help Roanoke out.

heres the link to our pathetic Mass Transit System:

Valley Metro

If we do get a streetcar/trolley system, i hope anybody but the City of Roanoke or Greater Roanoke Transit Company (Valley Metro) controls it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valley Metro runs on what funding it has. Sundays are still optional around here.. What really irks me is that the schedule does not coencide with normal work start times. If I catch one bus, Im at work 45 mins early, the other - 7 minutes late.

But right now, with the funding and ridership they have, this is what they can do. Want better and more frequent service? Call them, and have your fellow riders call them. I've done some work with the folks over there at VM, and a decent group they are. But realize that since 1978, the county has provided no funding for mass transportation. Salem however would like to see increased service, but due to the county not ponying up money.

What certain people fail to realize here is that Roanoke maybe an independant city, but the county is a highly dependant county.

Well Tim Kaine has set aside some money for Roanoke (and all Virginia) for mass transit. Salem (91, 92) barely has any riders, maybe 15 on one time around. But places such as Valley View (11, 12, 15, 16) and Melrose Avenue (81, 82) see as many as 75 people per trip. Valley Metro is earning money because it costs $2.65 to run per hour, so all you need is 3 ($1.25) paying riders and you have enough to pay for one trip ($3.75)

What certain people fail to realize here is that Roanoke maybe an independant city, but the county is a highly dependant county.
Roanoke County and Salem think they're more important than Roanoke City, because they're more affluent. Fact is, they would barely exist without the city.

Valley Metro is earning money because it costs $2.65 to run per hour, so all you need is 3 ($1.25) paying riders and you have enough to pay for one trip ($3.75)

Which is precisely why Valley Metro can upgrade its fleet as it sees fit, rather than wait for funding or bugets. At least they keep the bus' in good condition and running properly.

If I remember correctly, they only have 45 or so regular busses. And thats exactly how much the Roy Z Meador Facility can hold, safely and above the waterline. I've got photos of it, and I'll get around to posting them eventually.

Archived