Nashville Downtown Diner

barakat

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the sound of this. A few years back a company out of Atlanta had planned to drop a diner at behind the old Acme Building at the corner of 1st and Broadway...on of those shiny, chrome things. Don't know what happened, except nothing.

It'll be good to have a 24-hour place downtown...especially for some of those Saturday and Sunday morning breakfasts. Isn't that the building that houses San Antonio Taco...I've seen the logo in the window. Wonder if this is going to happen? Lexy, I believe that logo was in one of your pics you took some time ago.

Dave is correct. Sorry if that was what you were referring to Jice.

Oops... yeah I meant SATCO. How could I not know there was one downtown? lol.

Anywayz... yeah... the new 24 hour diner thing sounds like a good idea. I know from experience that there are still plenty of people out walking around DT at like 2-3am on weekends anyway ;)

I've told a lot of people downtown needs a place that serves breakfast 24/7. Ever who opens this will make a ton of money. I never wanted to do it because I got tired of the rest. business. If there is a way to invest though, I say do it. They will make enough off serving the late night early morning crowd to stay in business for ever. That is a great location too. Close to all the hotels and 2nd ave and Broadway. My only suggestion is they better hire security for the early morning crowd.

I agree with the need for security. In places like NYC, 24-hour diners are common but in Nashville, especially downtown, you're going to get a lot of late night party people. That can almost be a recipe for disaster. Can the party crowd be controlled or will that be a cause for reduced/limited hours? Downtown used to have a Huddle House on Union Ave. beside the Crowne Plaza. I believe it was 24 hours but it was also a bit off the beaten path so it probably didn't see too much traffic. Just a thought - good point smeagolsfree.

Security is advisable, but late night in d'town Nashville is busting with Metro. If you so much as cruise, speed, drink, or have any isues with lights or seatbelts or registration you can count on getting pulled. As a resident I have been pulled twice since summer and my wife once (lucky all were warings except 1 speeding for 2 miles over in a 30mph). So I am rambling but with two police precincts d'town (one in the GEC) anyone causing trouble is on a short leash.

I agree they are on a somewhat short leash, but there have been a number of murders downtown in the last year most all have involved the late night establishments. Not to mention all the late night brawls. I am downtown about 4:30am 5 days a week and see a whole lot of strange crap and Metro is nowhere to be found. I am not saying they are not down there but they are not very visible that time of morning.

You are correct I was just talking about police coverage until about 1-2AM. I have no knowledge after that time but I agree that is probably when some bad characters are lurking around.

I think, Lexy, it was in the photo you took that had a rendering of a ballpark, the building next to CMT. I may be wrong, but I'm old enough to remember the Dobbs House, so that will explain a possible lapse in memory, right sleepy?

How 'bout Linebaugh's Restaurant? It was a dining place of a different color. Playboy writer Shel Silverstein captured the essence of Lower Broad in the late 70s with a piece called The Devil & Billy Markham. Shel was here for a long while, hanging out on Broadway and Elliston Place, I remember him well.

Here's a snippet of his writing. I don't whether to cheer or cry, but the Nashville he writes about here no longer exists, but I do remember it well.

I doubt the diner will resemble this part of our past.

"The Devil walked into Linebaugh's on a rainy Nashville night

While the lost souls sat and sipped their soup in the sickly yellow neon light."

I had a link to the story, but it was a bit raw, so, after sleeping on it, I removed it. If anybody wants to read it, let me know.

I just left the Arts Company Reception for the Art Ave. Lofts/Kress development and I was able to speak with Mr. Gobbell, Principal Partner in the firm posting this property. The news is mixed. The site is located across Third Ave. from Demo's (first floor of the garage across from the chamber) and has been leased to the company for which these plans were developed, but the buildout has yet to be scheduled. I am sure we will see something, I can not imagine someone signing a lease and doing something.

Archived