Cafe La Petit Roche

Aporkalypse

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arkansas Times blog entry "Ear to the Ground" stated a major construction project to be announced within the week. A number of guesses on what it will be has been put forward. First of all what is considered a major construction project and where will is be? Does the downtown LR area include NLR and Riverdale? There has been a lot of talk about the MT project as well as a Stephens development on Main. Also, a Stephens family development by the Cliffs. Or will it be something else already talked about: Lighthouse Point Marina, The REP, ARKLA Building or plans for Block 97(on 2nd St across from the Bankruptcy Courthouse). Maybe it will be something totally different from anything mentioned.

I think downtown is ready for another large upscale hotel like a Westin, Hilton, etc. The downtown hotel market seems to be doing very well and the newer additions lately have all been middle of the road hotels.

Yes, and incorporating a sizeable high-end hotel in a mixed-use building could constitute a high-rise. Some office, some condos, lots of hotel.

I think downtown is ready for another large upscale hotel like a Westin, Hilton, etc. The downtown hotel market seems to be doing very well and the newer additions lately have all been middle of the road hotels.

Got to agree with that. All of the remodels and the addition of the Courtyard by Marriott have been great, but another upscale hotel would add to the market. I would like to see a hotel that doesn't have a presence in the market like a Westin, Hyatt or Marriott. If Wichita can have a Hyatt why can't Little Rock.

What do you guys think about the $500,000 plan to add a dome to the City Hall building before its 100th anniversary in 2008. Apparently it had a dome when it was built but the architect didn't want it and it was later removed because it was out of date. I think it's a waste of money. It's a beautiful building as is.

Here's the original with the dome...

cityhl.jpg

ic0180.JPG

What do you guys think about the $500,000 plan to add a dome to the City Hall building before its 100th anniversary in 2008. Apparently it had a dome when it was built but the architect didn't want it and it was later removed because it was out of date. I think it's a waste of money. It's a beautiful building as is.

Here's the original with the dome...

cityhl.jpg

ic0180.JPG

I remember the dome quite well as I thought it was odd perched on a building of a different style. It was removed in 54 or 55 because it had become unstable and was leaking.

I remember the dome quite well as I thought it was odd perched on a building of a different style. It was removed in 54 or 55 because it had become unstable and was leaking.

Put it back. The dome is a sign of the times in which it was built. I don't think at a later time people should say something is out of date. Otherwise remove everything older than thirty years old. Remove all historic buildings because they are out of date. I don't think so. It is what made the building unique. At least they are restoring the windows on the Eastside of the building. The building did not look good with them all blocked up.

This may belong in it's own thread, but I didn't want to start too many. Now that the population of Downtown LR/NLR is growing considerably, there will be a demand for many of the basic conveniences that are only available in the suburbs. Grocery shopping, more retail, basic things like Blockbuster etc. Has this been addressed by anyone? I would think that a Harris Teeter type grocery store would do very well near the new condo's. You have an upscale consumer base, why not have an upscale grocery store, which would in turn attract more business to the area.

^

I thought 300 Third was suppose to have a ground floor grocery store in it. That should be plenty for the downtown area.

I wasn't aware of that. It would be kind of inconvenient to visit.

Harvest Foods on Main is in the Quapaw Quarter on the fringe of downtown. It's not upscale, though, and safety is a bit of an issue there. There's another Harvest Foods just west of downtown in Riverdale Shopping Center that is pretty safe and clean. Neither is more than a mile or so from the River Market area.

Terry's Finer Foods is a small gourmet grocery a couple of miles West in the Heights.

I don't know how well a gourmet grocery would do in downtown. To some degree it would compete with the River Market itself and the better markets are further West.

I wasn't aware that 300 Third was going to have a grocery in it either. How large is it going to be? Good points about the local grocery stores none the less. I was just thinking of the neccessities that the growing population downtown would be able to support as it gets larger. Basically I'd just like to see the sidewalks of downtown somewhat busy after 5:00PM. It's just a neat vibe that's been missing from LR for a few decades.

The following was taken from the Moses Tucker website:

"Situated at the intersection of Third and Cumberland streets, 300 THIRD TOWER will be a landmark structure for residents and visitors alike as they arrive in the city. The building will rise 218 feet, offering residents views of the Arkansas River, the Clinton Presidential Library and Park to the east and the downtown skyline to the west. Amenities in the building will include a ground level gourmet market that will have staple food items, a deli, a bakery and coffee shop, as well as gourmet take-out lunches and dinners for the growing neighborhood..."

"Situated at the intersection of Third and Cumberland streets, 300 THIRD TOWER will be a landmark structure for residents and visitors alike as they arrive in the city. The building will rise 218 feet, offering residents views of the Arkansas River, the Clinton Presidential Library and Park to the east and the downtown skyline to the west. Amenities in the building will include a ground level gourmet market that will have staple food items, a deli, a bakery and coffee shop, as well as gourmet take-out lunches and dinners for the growing neighborhood..."

Moses Tucker better be ready to heavily subsidize the "gourmet market" and the wine shop. There won't be enough customers living in the building to support either one.

They call it a "gourmet market" but I am betting it doesn't really function as a grocery store but more of a place to pick up catered meals and specialty items, more like Boulevard Bread than Kroger. The owner is primarily a restauranteur/caterer.

Put it back. The dome is a sign of the times in which it was built. I don't think at a later time people should say something is out of date. Otherwise remove everything older than thirty years old. Remove all historic buildings because they are out of date. I don't think so. It is what made the building unique. At least they are restoring the windows on the Eastside of the building. The building did not look good with them all blocked up.

The funny thing about the dome is that the architect didn't want it. The building wasn't designed for a dome and he felt it would be ugly and he was forced to add it to his design by city officials. Though domes were waning in popularity there were still parts of the country where it was felt every important building had to have a dome and this was true in Little Rock.

Arkansas Times' "Insider" says 2-3 big announcements regarding downtown, including a hotel, will be made soon. Vaguer they could not be.

Also, Dassault Falcon announced a $1.1 billion contract for it's newest corporate jet, all of which will be made in Little Rock. Because of this 200 employees will be added at the LR airport facility. This makes me ever more eager to see industrial space at the airport added.

Arkansas Times' "Insider" says 2-3 big announcements regarding downtown, including a hotel, will be made soon. Vaguer they could not be.

Also, Dassault Falcon announced a $1.1 billion contract for it's newest corporate jet, all of which will be made in Little Rock. Because of this 200 employees will be added at the LR airport facility. This makes me ever more eager to see industrial space at the airport added.

This is good news for the manufacturing sector in LR and adds more prestige to the fact that all of their jets are finished in LR.

Also, I'm tired of hearing all of the rumors of what's going to happen downtown. Let's get some announcements going to continue the success that has been going on there.

This is good news for the manufacturing sector in LR and adds more prestige to the fact that all of their jets are finished in LR.

Also, I'm tired of hearing all of the rumors of what's going to happen downtown. Let's get some announcements going to continue the success that has been going on there.

Amen brother.

Archived