Cafe La Petit Roche

Aporkalypse

The Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports today that Curran Hall will close. The historic home was restored four years ago as a vistor center for Little Rock. The Clinton School of Public Service wants to lease it. The Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau says that not enough people use is and that it cost too much to run. It cost the Bureau around $100,000 a year to operate. My question about this is why did the Bureau just spend the money for a three month restoration to turn around and close it? They say they served 24,000 + visitors last year. As for the money I think the Bureau gets its funding from a hotel tax which is running over $9 million a year. I don't think it is in the right location for a visitor information center. I would like to see something along the lines of the center in Memphis, right as you cross the bridge.

Curran Hall from the LRCVB website.

curranhall3lg8kf.jpg

curranhall2lg1lh.jpg

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any ideas how old the home is?

Curran Hall is around 160 years old.

The Clinton School of Public Service wants more room for its programs. Maybe they shouldn't have torn down the old freight station across from the train station they are in now. It was removed for an at and below grade Archive building not the Lirbary building. The people at the Library said is would be too expensive to redraw the plans. It was in good shape because a metal building had been built around it.

Choctaw Freight Station

chactawfreightstationlong9wc.jpg

The Arkansas Democrat Gazette reports today that Curran Hall will close. The historic home was restored four years ago as a vistor center for Little Rock. The Clinton School of Public Service wants to lease it. The Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau says that not enough people use is and that it cost too much to run. It cost the Bureau around $100,000 a year to operate. My question about this is why did the Bureau just spend the money for a three month restoration to turn around and close it? They say they served 24,000 + visitors last year. As for the money I think the Bureau gets its funding from a hotel tax which is running over $9 million a year. I don't think it is in the right location for a visitor information center. I would like to see something along the lines of the center in Memphis, right as you cross the bridge.

Curran Hall from the LRCVB website.

curranhall3lg8kf.jpg

curranhall2lg1lh.jpg

Actually, the tone of the article is such that it questions whether that decision will stand. This was made without consulting city's legal staff, the city board, or the volunteer fundraising committee who originally helped get this project done. The mayor has asked legal staff to review the decision, and one of the committee members says that it essentially amounts to a breach of contract for the hundreds who contributed money and time to this endeavor.

Dumb, dumb decision to close this in my opinion. Move it to a better location? Maybe. Close? No. How short sited. Oh, and could the Clinton school not lease about any other space downtown? It's not as it if abuts the existing school.

Actually, the tone of the article is such that it questions whether that decision will stand. This was made without consulting city's legal staff, the city board, or the volunteer fundraising committee who originally helped get this project done. The mayor has asked legal staff to review the decision, and one of the committee members says that it essentially amounts to a breach of contract for the hundreds who contributed money and time to this endeavor.

Dumb, dumb decision to close this in my opinion. Move it to a better location? Maybe. Close? No. How short sited. Oh, and could the Clinton school not lease about any other space downtown? It's not as it if abuts the existing school.

I wonder if the City has ever thought about acquiring the property east of Curran Hall to I-30? Turn it into a park with a nice fountain or sculpture garden to enhance Curran Hall. To go along with this they could streetscape Ferry St. between 6th and 3rd.

Curran Hall is around 160 years old.

The Clinton School of Public Service wants more room for its programs. Maybe they shouldn't have torn down the old freight station across from the train station they are in now. It was removed for an at and below grade Archive building not the Lirbary building. The people at the Library said is would be too expensive to redraw the plans. It was in good shape because a metal building had been built around it.

Choctaw Freight Station

chactawfreightstationlong9wc.jpg

I'm still irked that the old freight station was torn down for the hideous archive building. There's plenty of land availabe on the library property. The irony that you mention is that now the school is looking at a historic structure that's not on the library's property.

Those who contributed to making Curran Hall such a wonderful introduction to Little Rock should be outraged. They didn't spend time and money to renovate it for the Clinton School, which, as you mention, could find many other places downtown.

It's true that Curran Hall isn't an optimal location for a visitors center, but the area between the River Market District and MacArthur Park is just now seeing major development. If this decision stands, Curran Hall was never given a fair chance.

• 2 months later...

It looks the Little Rock Board of Directors has voted to endorse a proposed county sales tax increase to open more beds at the Pulaski County jail and hire more personnel.

Before voting to support the measure, the board heard from Little Rock Police Chief Stuart Thomas, who responded to claims that members of the board had heard, which came from residents who say they believe the jail does have room for all felony suspects.

Pulaski County will vote on the proposed one-quarter percent sales tax increase in a special election on September 12.

It looks the Little Rock Board of Directors has voted to endorse a proposed county sales tax increase to open more beds at the Pulaski County jail and hire more personnel.

Before voting to support the measure, the board heard from Little Rock Police Chief Stuart Thomas, who responded to claims that members of the board had heard, which came from residents who say they believe the jail does have room for all felony suspects.

Pulaski County will vote on the proposed one-quarter percent sales tax increase in a special election on September 12.

There are a lot of problems here. One is that state and federal prisoners overflow to the county jail and a large number are being held there. Another is that for budgetary reasons a large number of jail beds were closed. The problem is that two of the projects we discussed here, the big dam bridge and River Rail trolley, are big reasons that the county budget was so tight. Most of the money for these projects was federal or from other sources but the county still contributed a notable portion, enough to keep the jail beds open.

Regardless, it is indisputable that for all but the most serious felony offenses arrestees are being turned right back out onto the streets on bail. For the police to be able to crack down on drugs, which are the real source of almost all of the city's crime, there has to be a place to put the people arrested.

There will be a huge amount of turnback funds return to the cities if this passes, including $2 mil a year for Little Rock. The big issue is most voters think that crime is a big issue and aren't happy with the jail situation but don't trust their county or city governments to use the revenue appropriately.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been seeing a lot lately about the Kalamazoo Promise. A group of anonymous donors have agreed to provide scholarships for all students in the Kalamazoo Public School System. The students must attend school in the district and must live in the district. All students must graduate from KPS and have been KPS students four years or more. (Enrollment and residency must be continuous.) The scholarships will be good for tuition at any public State of Michigan University or Community College. It will cover between 65% and 100% of the tuition. Not only has Kalamazoo seen an increase in the number of students but also housing sales have gone up. People are moving to Kalamazoo to take advantage of the program.

I would like to see the Little Rock School District come up with a program like this.

I've been seeing a lot lately about the Kalamazoo Promise. A group of anonymous donors have agreed to provide scholarships for all students in the Kalamazoo Public School System. The students must attend school in the district and must live in the district. All students must graduate from KPS and have been KPS students four years or more. (Enrollment and residency must be continuous.) The scholarships will be good for tuition at any public State of Michigan University or Community College. It will cover between 65% and 100% of the tuition. Not only has Kalamazoo seen an increase in the number of students but also housing sales have gone up. People are moving to Kalamazoo to take advantage of the program.

I would like to see the Little Rock School District come up with a program like this.

I would as well. That's a very good idea but unfortunately the tax increase that would pay for it will be overwhelmingly opposed.

I would as well. That's a very good idea but unfortunately the tax increase that would pay for it will be overwhelmingly opposed.

The project in Kalamazoo is not tax based and the one in LR should not be either. This is where the private sector could work together to make LR a better place.

The project in Kalamazoo is not tax based and the one in LR should not be either. This is where the private sector could work together to make LR a better place.

That would be a great private foundation for charity-minded people like the Stephens, Rockefellers, or Jennings Osborne to do.

Or, for once, the Dillard family could do something.

• 2 weeks later...

Arkansas Times blog reports a major construction project will be announced for downtown LR within the next week. They are asking if anyone knows or will say anything about it.

Yeah, I saw that...some one posted below that there are rumors of a 40+ story highrise being built. Has anyonme else heard this? I find it hard to believe at this point. I have heard that Stephens is planning a pretty big announcement in the next couple months regarding a downtown project.

Arkansas Times blog reports a major construction project will be announced for downtown LR within the next week. They are asking if anyone knows or will say anything about it.

Can someone post a link to that blog discussion? I can't seem to find it.

BTW, I'm hopeful for a highrise as well, but if its the Stephen's development - no way it would be that tall. Another project? Maybe. Nashville has announced a 60-story mixed use tower.

Can someone post a link to that blog discussion? I can't seem to find it.

BTW, I'm hopeful for a highrise as well, but if its the Stephen's development - no way it would be that tall. Another project? Maybe. Nashville has announced a 60-story mixed use tower.

Try This.http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2006/09/ear_to_the_ground.aspx

I doubt we'll see a 40-story tower anytime soon.

i bet thats what they thought when they announced the Metropolitan National Bank Tower back in the day lol...just saying, you never know...im not expecting it either..but that would be nice though...im looking forward to the announcement..

i bet thats what they thought when they announced the Metropolitan National Bank Tower back in the day lol...just saying, you never know...im not expecting it either..but that would be nice though...im looking forward to the announcement..

Well, in those days of "urban renewal" you had office buildings going up like gangbusters in downtowns everywhere, something that just isn't happening these days. Plus, the TCBY Tower had a major corporation behind it. Right now, there's no major corporation looking to build in downtown LR.

A mixed use 40 story building in LR might work but it's against the principles of modern urban development. Two 20-story buildings in LR are better than one 40-story. Building tall buildings and leaving gaps is the reason we have no real fluidity for pedestrians on the downtown streets with ground level retail, etc. We need more mid-rise buildings to help create a streetscape throughout downtown instead of just on Markham and the River Market.

When I said the Stephens project, I just meant whatever he has in mind for Main. I doubt that includes a 40-story tower but I bet it's even more exciting in terms of being a comprehensive plan for the whole Main St corridor.

When I said the Stephens project, I just meant whatever he has in mind for Main. I doubt that includes a 40-story tower but I bet it's even more exciting in terms of being a comprehensive plan for the whole Main St corridor.

I think the Stephen's, Inc. development announcement for all the property on Main is probably a year or two in the future because of the great amount of urban planning that will go into developing all that property. This could be the new Stephen's company that formed when the Stephen's family split into two companies. The new company bought land next to The Cliff's condos on the bluff above the river and this could be a mid-rise on that property.

Archived