Cafe La Petit Roche

Aporkalypse

The hamburger tax collections for Little Rock was up for the first 11 months by 5.6%. Sounds like the Little Rock Convention and Visitors Bureau is doing a good job. Year to date collections came in at $8.5 million compared to $8 million for the same period last year. The LRCVB says things look good but do they really? During the same period hotel occupancy rates fell 3.5%. The hamburger tax in Little Rock is a 2% tax on restaurants and hotels. The LRCVB releases tax revenue but does not break it down to show the take from hotels compared to restaurants. As long as the tax collections increase due to locals eating at Little Rock restaurants the LRCVB can claim they are doing their job. For the first 11 month of 2006 LR had and average of 2259 rooms per night vacant.

I'd bet that the increased "hamburger" tax collections are the result of, 1. higher prices in restaurants and 2. increased patronage of local restaurants by local residents. The LRCVB apparently has no means to judge the effectiveness of their efforts. The operations of the A&P Commission/LRCVB stink. The legislature should amend the law setting up these organizations. The idea that public taxes should be turned over to a commission dominated by members from the group benefiting from the expenditure of those funds is ridiculous.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed on the Mississippi subforum there is a push for the 2007 legislative session for the state to provide funding for certain Jackson projects. These include an annual payment of at least $5 million from the state, $2 million to be used for rehabilitating or demolishing dilapidated structures, $1 million for the Jackson Metro Parkway as well as other projects. The reason for this funding is the state owns a large amount of property in the city but has not help fund city services in the past. Sounds like Little Rock. Maybe the state should look into providing funding for the streetscaping of Capitol Ave. and funding of the River Rail to the Capitol. This would provide transit to visitors as well as state workers in downtown Little Rock. Think how nice it would be for a school group to visit the Clinton Library, the Old Statehouse and the Capitol building and have to park only once.

I noticed on the Mississippi subforum there is a push for the 2007 legislative session for the state to provide funding for certain Jackson projects. These include an annual payment of at least $5 million from the state, $2 million to be used for rehabilitating or demolishing dilapidated structures, $1 million for the Jackson Metro Parkway as well as other projects. The reason for this funding is the state owns a large amount of property in the city but has not help fund city services in the past. Sounds like Little Rock. Maybe the state should look into providing funding for the streetscaping of Capitol Ave. and funding of the River Rail to the Capitol. This would provide transit to visitors as well as state workers in downtown Little Rock. Think how nice it would be for a school group to visit the Clinton Library, the Old Statehouse and the Capitol building and have to park only once.

Little Rock has such an antagonistic relationship with the rest of the state at times. Any money spent on the capital city irritates certain legislators. The small amount the state contributed to Alltel Arena is the case and point, there should've been no controversy at all over that - particularly when the facility is centrally located and ultimately serves most of the state's population.

I'd love to see these things but people from places like Perryville, Eudora, or Mtn View see them as boondoggles. People from NWA view it as their tax money going to pay for LR developments (forgetting the opposite viewpoint is often just as valid). I think a RiverRail that could get you to the RCTC bus station, the Capitol and along the way stop at the CBD core would be perfect and one line really could accomplish that.

Down in Jackson they're just trying to come up with some answer to bring back the downtown and stop the flight. It's much tougher for them than it has been for us or it is for Shreveport, which is trying to do the same. Jackson just has a lot more people who just don't believe what happened in the River Market could happen there. It's amazing, considering the similarities between LR and Jackson.

Frankly, part of the difference between LR and Jackson being able to pull that off might just be the perception by visiting legislators that LR is doing very well for itself vs the Mississippi perception that the capital really needs to be cleaned up.

Little Rock has such an antagonistic relationship with the rest of the state at times. Any money spent on the capital city irritates certain legislators. The small amount the state contributed to Alltel Arena is the case and point, there should've been no controversy at all over that - particularly when the facility is centrally located and ultimately serves most of the state's population.

I'd love to see these things but people from places like Perryville, Eudora, or Mtn View see them as boondoggles. People from NWA view it as their tax money going to pay for LR developments (forgetting the opposite viewpoint is often just as valid). I think a RiverRail that could get you to the RCTC bus station, the Capitol and along the way stop at the CBD core would be perfect and one line really could accomplish that.

Down in Jackson they're just trying to come up with some answer to bring back the downtown and stop the flight. It's much tougher for them than it has been for us or it is for Shreveport, which is trying to do the same. Jackson just has a lot more people who just don't believe what happened in the River Market could happen there. It's amazing, considering the similarities between LR and Jackson.

Frankly, part of the difference between LR and Jackson being able to pull that off might just be the perception by visiting legislators that LR is doing very well for itself vs the Mississippi perception that the capital really needs to be cleaned up.

Yeah good points. The way you worded it reminds me of the argument of spending tax money in the Delta or over in NWA. Both need things for different reasons. But yes there are always going to be people who feel their tax money is being used to things they won't necessarily get to use. But you can't make everyone happy I suppose.

Little Rock companies Acxiom and Alltel are named to the Forbes Platinum 400 (a list of America's Best Big Companies) today, the only Arkansas companies on the list. Alltel has made it every year since 1999 and this is Acxiom's 1st year. Murphy Oil was on the list last year but dropped off.

Alltel was also one of 25 companies that made their list of "Best Managed Companies".

Alltel also made the "Honor Roll" as one of the companies that has made the list ever year since its inception in 1999.

A line down Capitol Ave would be great for the RiverRail. Would allow much easier access btwn the business district and River Market (for those with 60-90 minutes for lunch).

A line down Capitol Ave would be great for the RiverRail. Would allow much easier access btwn the business district and River Market (for those with 60-90 minutes for lunch).

You know, if you just get lunch at one of the dozen or so kiosks it doesn't take long to eat lunch down there. Running in and grabbing a California roll at the Japanese place or a gyro from the Mediterranean place, etc you could eat and get out in 20 min or so.

I still think, after all this time, that the River Market's one of the coolest places I've ever been to eat lunch. You can get almost any type of food you want and eat outdoors facing the arena and riverfront.

How long would the ride be from Broadway & Capitol to Clinton Ave? Just curious.

Under the expansion plans there would be two routes. One would be Captiol to Main to Markham. The other would be Capitol to Commerce to the River Market. Both are listed as high priority expansion routes. The Travel Center Alignment would pass the redevelopment of Arkla Plaza, River Market Place. Acxiom and Arkansas Capital Commerce Center before it entered the River Market.

Under the expansion plans there would be two routes. One would be Captiol to Main to Markham. The other would be Capitol to Commerce to the River Market. Both are listed as high priority expansion routes. The Travel Center Alignment would pass the redevelopment of Arkla Plaza, River Market Place. Acxiom and Arkansas Capital Commerce Center before it entered the River Market.

I'd rather see one line go up Main to Juanita's or a little further, providing some access to the Quapaw Quarter and a completely separate line pass the River Cities Travel Center, skyscraper district, and go on to the Capitol.

Boy, that would be something if all of those areas connected.

I'd rather see one line go up Main to Juanita's or a little further, providing some access to the Quapaw Quarter and a completely separate line pass the River Cities Travel Center, skyscraper district, and go on to the Capitol.

Boy, that would be something if all of those areas connected.

Now, I know that adding more routes increases the POTENTIAL for additional travellers, but I have to say that expanding the rail line is specious. As many folks and media have noted, the rail line simply isn't being used and is virtually empty most of the time. Continued spending on this certainly is questionable and I could understand why someone outside of LR would feel this is a boondoggle.

Now, I know that adding more routes increases the POTENTIAL for additional travellers, but I have to say that expanding the rail line is specious. As many folks and media have noted, the rail line simply isn't being used and is virtually empty most of the time. Continued spending on this certainly is questionable and I could understand why someone outside of LR would feel this is a boondoggle.

For those who complain about the River Rail have they even thought that in its present form it is just the start of a system. If the airport only had two flights a day would you say it was not worth it and nobody used it. I do think the way the River Rail is operated could be changed for the better. If you go to Memphis some of their trolleys look empty most of the time but I think they carried over a million riders last year. Memphis does a better job promoting their trolleys.

For those who complain about the River Rail have they even thought that in its present form it is just the start of a system. If the airport only had two flights a day would you say it was not worth it and nobody used it. I do think the way the River Rail is operated could be changed for the better. If you go to Memphis some of their trolleys look empty most of the time but I think they carried over a million riders last year. Memphis does a better job promoting their trolleys.

Start of the system or not, it is not being used. And the numbers bear this out. I too would love to see usage increase and hence the worthiness of increased lines. But that is speculative at best and more likely wishful thinking considering the demographics and the general mindset of Arkansans.

Start of the system or not, it is not being used. And the numbers bear this out. I too would love to see usage increase and hence the worthiness of increased lines. But that is speculative at best and more likely wishful thinking considering the demographics and the general mindset of Arkansans.

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy right now. It's ridership is limited because it doesn't go anywhere. To make it useful we have to connect it to heavily trafficked areas. Putting a stop in the middle of the skyscrapers and at the bus station is the most logical way to create ridership. I guess what I'm saying is, either we should built it to be useful or we shouldn't have built it in the first place. Now it only makes sense to connect it to the most heavily trafficked areas of downtown, that's a no brainer.

Do you remember the Wilbur D. Mills Freeway, the world's shortest freeway? It went nowhere and nobody used it. But it was the start of I-630. You talk about the mindset of Arkansans and you might be right. This is the same mindset that said no one would go downtown when the River Market was built. It was a waste of money. There are people in Arkansas that still go by the idea that if it was good enough for my daddy then its good enough for me. If Little Rock is to prosper in the future then thinking needs to change.

Sounds as if Nuvell, a LR-based company that handles billing and collections for GMAC, the financing arm of GMC, is significantly downsizing. GMAC is taking back the collections division and it will outsource it overseas. Nuvell employs 1000 in LR and several hundred will lose jobs.

Maybe they can close some of their satellite offices and bring those jobs back to the HQs on Chenal. Still, this represents a lot of high-end jobs that are going to be lost.

Do you remember the Wilbur D. Mills Freeway, the world's shortest freeway? It went nowhere and nobody used it. But it was the start of I-630. You talk about the mindset of Arkansans and you might be right. This is the same mindset that said no one would go downtown when the River Market was built. It was a waste of money. There are people in Arkansas that still go by the idea that if it was good enough for my daddy then its good enough for me. If Little Rock is to prosper in the future then thinking needs to change.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Comparing a highway (carrying cars & trucks that Arkansas have always felt the need to use) to light rail is beyond a stretch. The mindset for the River Market is very different from this as well as many Arkansans were asking for additional entertainment venues and the previously existing venues had quite a bit of usage among the Miller Lite crowd. Relatively few are asking for additional light rail. ...and don't think I say this because I'm against light rail...heck I'm one of the few (approx 120,000) who actually rode on it this year happily.

You have your opinion, I have mine. Comparing a highway (carrying cars & trucks that Arkansas have always felt the need to use) to light rail is beyond a stretch. The mindset for the River Market is very different from this as well as many Arkansans were asking for additional entertainment venues and the previously existing venues had quite a bit of usage among the Miller Lite crowd. Relatively few are asking for additional light rail. ...and don't think I say this because I'm against light rail...heck I'm one of the few (approx 120,000) who actually rode on it this year happily.

It is not a stretch but only the way you look at it. If you go back to the 1930's/40's when streetcars in LR carried millions and millions of trips a year and you ask the people then if the wanted an expanded streetcar system or a road that serviced very few what would be the answer? The bus system was added to service the trolleys. Remember rail passenger service in the U.S. helped pay for the interstate highway system with a ticket surcharge. If you are so concerned about the Miller Lite crowd then serve their drink of choice on the trolleys.

It is not a stretch but only the way you look at it. If you go back to the 1930's/40's when streetcars in LR carried millions and millions of trips a year and you ask the people then if the wanted an expanded streetcar system or a road that serviced very few what would be the answer? The bus system was added to service the trolleys. Remember rail passenger service in the U.S. helped pay for the interstate highway system with a ticket surcharge. If you are so concerned about the Miller Lite crowd then serve their drink of choice on the trolleys.

Times have changed, people have changed. Back in the '30s and '40s, many/most people did not have cars, they were a luxury, now most people do have them and they are almost necessity in Arkansas. I'm not going to argue that any longer as we both know it to be true.

People use transit for convenience, especially so in this state. When it is more convenient for them to use rail, they'll do so. Adding more lines will add convenience to a very small portion of the population, but the rest will continue to use the more than ample parking that's out there.

Streetcars work effectively in cities like New Orleans and San Francisco because they link sites that make it easier to ride than walk or drive, the latter because of a lack of parking.

A lot of people would probably use rail to get between the Capitol complex and skyscraper district to the River Market or NLR Main for lunch, or to get to hotels or visit the Clinton library if those connections existed. Linking it to the bus station would allow the lower-income service employees that work downtown to get to where they work more easily. Parking downtown is difficult and walking is too far between these points so the role is there, the problem is that right now the system doesn't link many points you would want to travel between. Everything on the LR side is easily walkable, as is everything on the NLR side, so all it really does is link NLR with LR.

Times have changed, people have changed. Back in the '30s and '40s, many/most people did not have cars, they were a luxury, now most people do have them and they are almost necessity in Arkansas. I'm not going to argue that any longer as we both know it to be true.

People use transit for convenience, especially so in this state. When it is more convenient for them to use rail, they'll do so. Adding more lines will add convenience to a very small portion of the population, but the rest will continue to use the more than ample parking that's out there.

EJC - embrace a vision my friend. What you say is true, but that doesn't mean that a light rail line is not relevant to augmenting an urban area where parking is a problem and pedestrians are the norm. No one is suggesting that rail replaces the automobile as a primary transport from suburban to urban areas....or commuting if you will (that's why I think the NWA rail line is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, as it is envisioned as a regional transport replacing the car).

There are a few places in Little Rock - like downtown - where this is practical. Furthermore, one could argue that feeder lines from bordering historic districts such as MacArthur Park and the Quapaw Quarter into downtown would further enhance the viability and livability of those areas much like they were 50 years ago...and trust me, that rail line was very strong as recent as that, even when the automobile was entrenched. Rail is a very progressive way to invigorate and support urban areas, and are very strong catalysts for urban renewal corridors. You are starting to see that along the NLR route in particular.

I for one am very proud of the vision LR has had for this, and trust me, many cities in the south are envious of this system. I'm glad we have it, and expect it to only grow.

EJC - embrace a vision my friend. What you say is true, but that doesn't mean that a light rail line is not relevant to augmenting an urban area where parking is a problem and pedestrians are the norm. No one is suggesting that rail replaces the automobile as a primary transport from suburban to urban areas....or commuting if you will (that's why I think the NWA rail line is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, as it is envisioned as a regional transport replacing the car).

There are a few places in Little Rock - like downtown - where this is practical. Furthermore, one could argue that feeder lines from bordering historic districts such as MacArthur Park and the Quapaw Quarter into downtown would further enhance the viability and livability of those areas much like they were 50 years ago...and trust me, that rail line was very strong as recent as that, even when the automobile was entrenched. Rail is a very progressive way to invigorate and support urban areas, and are very strong catalysts for urban renewal corridors. You are starting to see that along the NLR route in particular.

I for one am very proud of the vision LR has had for this, and trust me, many cities in the south are envious of this system. I'm glad we have it, and expect it to only grow.

Embrace a vision??? Please. That's the argument every time there's an opportunity for the govt to come in and spend some money. Sometimes it's worthwhile, and sometimes it's not. But please don't suggest that those with "vision" see it this way, because that's just liberal economics. OK, you like the idea...I get it. And I'm neither sold nor willing to say "no". But a vision? Sometimes people's visions are wrong... Talking to me about what things were like 50 years ago is crazy. Once again, the car is a integral part of 95% of Arkansans life. And while a few downtown dwellers will likely try to live without, it's won't ever come close to "paying the bills". And while people in town for various conventions or tourism will likely ride it, the trolley alone will not bring in $$.

Parking ISN'T a problem in downtown LR. I'm there all the time...I know. Light rail will likely replace nothing in LR and will be a tourist fancy. I'm neither proud of it nor embarrassed by it, but I AM concerned when people talk about continued growth with little care towards the cost/benefit analysis. And that's where we are with LR on most issues today.

Archived