State Senate kills Roanoke bill about Victory Stadium

weill

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tear it down, I agree. It is a dead horse and if it had made ANY rational or economic sense to bring it back to life it would have been done long ago. It is such a tired issue and, in the grand scheme of things, of relatively minor importance. However, the fact that it has prevented proper attention and energy from being put into more important things FOR 10 YEARS makes it of massive importance. We desperately need to get past it.

The issue was in essence decided not long ago (couple months?) when city council voted 5-2 to proceed with building small stadiums at each of the two high schools. A vote on the demolition of Victory Stadium is likely to occur this month. However, none of that will stand unless we, the good citizens of Roanoke, vote in folks who agree with the current council majority this spring. There are three independent candidates who are running under the platform of moving forward with the high school stadiums and saying goodbye to VS. I only hope there are enough people out there who are as sick of this as I am that they will be motivated to go to the polls and get this done. Thus, in May we will find out if we can finally put this to rest or if we will have to continue to hear it debated indefinitely.

Personally, I would like to see the area converted into a world class park. Perhaps the fountain at the end of the stadium could be made operational, beautified and become a centerpiece for the park that would be a far superior tribute to WWII vets than what is currently there. We could call it Victory Fountain. A great public space surrounded by a growing business district (it is bordered by Carilion Medical Center and the Riverside Center for Research and Technology) would be great for this city and is exactly the kind of thing that is almost too progressive to dream of around here. For what it is worth that is my two cents!

where will roanoke have big events? Without a big stadium we are essentially giving up on roanoke having large cultural events in the future. I don't understand how no one seems to care that the city will essentially be downsizing and reducing the potential tourist revenue. Young people don't want to move to a small town, they wan't to move to a place where things happen. This 'no stadium' attitude will only contribute Roanoke's inability to keep/attract anyone thats not married with children.

Also, the latest engineering study concluded that a stadium renovation was feasable, reasonably inexpensive and that flooding would be much less of an issue because of the river widening/flood control project. Perhaps it didn't make rational sense before the river project, but that factor has changed things significantly. Also, the renovation would qualify for historic tax credits, meaning the city's share would not be 100% of the cost.

It would be cool if you could start in DT, ride a trolley down Jefferson to the "Roanoke Fairgrounds", then get on the inclined railroad to Mill Mountain Star.

I guess that is just a dream

Not only would the trolley be great for tourists, it would help get people back and forth along Jefferson between Roanoke Memorial and Downtown. The majority of Carillion employees work right along Jefferson street, from McClanahan/Rke Memorial, to Carilion offices in the Wachovia building and all the buildings between. With the new Research park under construction, there will be even more justification for the trolley. In modern times, a trolley might seem out-dated, but I think it would be appropriate and useful for this corridor.

Does anyone have pictures of Roanoke trolley lines? I know I've seen some pictures of the corner of Jefferson and Campbell, with tracks covering the streets.

• 2 weeks later...

where will roanoke have big events? Without a big stadium we are essentially giving up on roanoke having large cultural events in the future. I don't understand how no one seems to care that the city will essentially be downsizing and reducing the potential tourist revenue. Young people don't want to move to a small town, they wan't to move to a place where things happen. This 'no stadium' attitude will only contribute Roanoke's inability to keep/attract anyone thats not married with children.

I share your concerns about the lack of a quality facility to attract great acts and thus make it more attractive to 20 and 30 somethings. I actually think getting rid of it creates the opportunity to provide exactly what you are looking for while renovating it will not. Victory Stadium did not attract big acts before (except Dave Matthews band and they were thoroughly unhappy with the facilities from my understanding... note they haven't come back) and will not again unless there is MAJOR reconfiguration and and upgrade of the facility. The 16 million pricetag the city has come up with will put in new bleachers, raise the field, reinforce the crumbling concrete and and brick facade, and put in new bathrooms and locker facilities. In the end it will still be an old outdated football stadium that is no longer falling apart. This is far inferior to an actual amphitheater that was made for concerts and not football games. If we renovate VS they will NOT come. They may be endlessly amused, but they will not come!

Building HS football stadiums at each of the schools will rid us of the nonsense of trying to incorporate football into any new facility that also is supposed to attract concerts. Finally attention can start to be directed toward constructing a quality facility made for the sole purpose of having music and entertainment. The 8 million saved on the HS stadium plans can be a start toward getting that done.

I love the idea of using the VS area to build a stage with some seating backed by a huge grassy area that provides room for several thousand concert goers but can be used as open greenspace that is part of a larger park during times it is not being used for concerts. If you want to see an example of what I am talking about google Millenium Park Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago. Obviously we can't do something that elaborate, but the basic concept is great and could be done at a reasonable price I imagine.

I agree with you, mclawsdrive, what will happen with the July 4th at the Stadium?

Last 4th of July the festivities were not at the stadium. VS was closed due to safety issues and the celebration was held in Rivers Edge Park. They set up a stage and people brought blankets (a temporary example of the amphitheater I was talking about). It went extremely well and people were pretty pleased with it from the article I read in the Roanoke Times. The article is probably archived somewhere if you want to read about it (I'm too lazy to look it up and link it... sorry) We watched the fireworks from Highland Park just down the street from wher I live so we didn't go.

Archived