State Senate kills Roanoke bill about Victory Stadium

weill

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you guys might have convinced me. My ideal outdoor venue would have a covered inner area for the stage and permanent seating for about 2,000 - 5000. Then surrounding that would be a gradually sloping grassy area that could accomodate an additional 8 - 15,000 or more people for big events. I havent checked out the chicago venue, but plan to find out more soon. I'm picturing Nissan Pavilion but perhaps not quite as big. I guess thats the only facility I've been to that seems sort of like what I had in mind.

I just googled the Millenium Park Pritzker Pavilion in Chicago. A less fancy version could be relativly inexpensive. The only 'real' stucture is the stage. I'm not saying it should be 4x4 wooden posts with sheet metal, but a quality 25 x 50 stage with good protection from the weather could be done in the hundreds of thousands instead of millions. Add some more $$$ for some seating and some more for a sound system and we're done. Maybe if the stadium site wasnt suitable, we could put it where coca cola currently resides.

I think you guys might have convinced me. My ideal outdoor venue would have a covered inner area for the stage and permanent seating for about 2,000 - 5000. Then surrounding that would be a gradually sloping grassy area that could accomodate an additional 8 - 15,000 or more people for big events. I havent checked out the chicago venue, but plan to find out more soon. I'm picturing Nissan Pavilion but perhaps not quite as big. I guess thats the only facility I've been to that seems sort of like what I had in mind.

Glad to hear you are coming around. :D You're clearly a person who understands reason. Please move back to Roanoke! :P I have big ideas for that area. Clear out and relocate all the buildings (National Gaurd Armory and Parks and Rec) and make it all a park, essentially an expansion of River's edge. This park would include the amphitheater and greenspace along with gardens, sitting areas, paths to walk around and enjoy etc. Additionally, a landmark fountain could be built to remain as a memorial toWWII vets and they could call it Victory Fountain. The paths would of course link up with the river walk (this is a 25 mile greenway that is in the process of being built). This first class park would then be connected to downtown via the new light rail trolley that goes down Jefferson street. Now, if only they would make me chief city planner!

I like that park idea. I've long thought it a shame the way Roanopke ignores the river. I guess it goes back to the industrial boomtown days when the river was used as a dumping ground and sewer. There are very few areas that the river is easily accessible, the few buildings along it all have their backs turned to it even in the residential areas it seems to be viewed more as an obstacle than a neighborhood enhancement. Shoot even the bridges over it ignore it. There's no view from Main St bridge, Memorial Ave bridge, Walnut Ave bridge and barely from the fairly new Peter's Creek Rd bridge.

I really wish more effort/funding was being put into the greenway system. It could really help create a valuable 'quality of life' asset, not to mention provide a pleasant alternative to driving for many people. I checked out the Lick run greenway that connects to valley view. It was quite pleasant except for the area approaching and crossing 581.

I've also walked Murray run, garst mill, hanging rock, roanoke river in salem and the mill mountain star trail. Unfortunately, none of them connect. I havent yet experience the wolf creek or tinker creek greenways.

I've also walked Murray run,

That's the neighborhood in which I grew up. The last time I drove through, Murray Run wasn't much more than a trickle (and a dry bed in some spots).

That's the neighborhood in which I grew up. The last time I drove through, Murray Run wasn't much more than a trickle (and a dry bed in some spots).

I wonder if there was a drought going on. Last time I saw it, it seemed alright. I think one problem with Murray Run and other streams in developed areas is that the watersheds that feed them have more impervious surfaces that send the water into them much faster after a rain, but provide less water later. The natural (sponge) of surrounding vegetation, wetlands and absorbant soil has been replaced by rooftops and asphalt. That tends to cause more frequent flooding and subsequent periods of very low flow during periods without rain. Murray Run flows right through the Pebble Creek Apartment complex and crosses Ogden and Colonial avenue. A significant amount of its watershed is impervious and an even the 'natural' areas surrounded it have largely been converted to mowed lawns that are far inferior to the pre-roanoke conditions. Despite these problems, my high school biology class concluded that Murray Run was in relatively good shape. Turbidity, temperature, and aquatic species were at 'healthy' levels. Of course, that was 9 years ago.

I read a paper about former residents of the Bottom Creek area; Bent Mountain/poor mountain areas- now owned by the nature conservancy. These residents claim that Bottom Creek was once much more like a river, as opposed to the contemperary large stream that turns into a 'river' only after heavy rains. The residents seem to indicate that there was much more snow then; (permanant cover from Thanksgiving through late March.) Perhaps Roanokes streams provide less constant flow because of decreasing snowfall.

I wonder if there was a drought going on. Last time I saw it, it seemed alright. I think one problem with Murray Run and other streams in developed areas is that the watersheds that feed them have more impervious surfaces that send the water into them much faster after a rain, but provide less water later. The natural (sponge) of surrounding vegetation, wetlands and absorbant soil has been replaced by rooftops and asphalt. That tends to cause more frequent flooding and subsequent periods of very low flow during periods without rain. Murray Run flows right through the Pebble Creek Apartment complex and crosses Ogden and Colonial avenue. A significant amount of its watershed is impervious and an even the 'natural' areas surrounded it have largely been converted to mowed lawns that are far inferior to the pre-roanoke conditions. Despite these problems, my high school biology class concluded that Murray Run was in relatively good shape. Turbidity, temperature, and aquatic species were at 'healthy' levels. Of course, that was 9 years ago.

From what I recall, the construction of Fralin & Waldron's "too-tall building" on 419 pretty much killed the creek in the residential part of my neighborhood (Green Valley). It just never seemed the same afterwards. I've not been past the school in ages, so I don't know what shape it's in down that way, but even in the best of times it seemed healthier towards Ogden.

From what I recall, the construction of Fralin & Waldron's "too-tall building" on 419 pretty much killed the creek in the residential part of my neighborhood (Green Valley). It just never seemed the same afterwards. I've not been past the school in ages, so I don't know what shape it's in down that way, but even in the best of times it seemed healthier towards Ogden.

Is that the building that sat for a year or two as a rusted I-beam frame before finally being finished? I remember driving by that building. (or riding by it, I should say.) I think also that new construction -finks jeweler's site, might drain to Murray Run. There was extensive grading done at that site; very steep slope.

Is that the building that sat for a year or two as a rusted I-beam frame before finally being finished? I remember driving by that building. (or riding by it, I should say.)

That's the one. Originally approved as a 2-story, the (relatively) last-minute change to 3 or 4 stories prompted a firestorm in the neighborhood. A 2-year screaming match ensued, during which construction stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the most recent news on the stadium. The current council majority is proposing that the surplus from having football stadiums at the shools be diverted to the comprehensive plan to renovate or build a new library. We need an update on the system and as the article says this would help move that along faster. Takes away the money for my park idea though! :P OK with me as long as council keeps pressing forward with action to make needed changes vs. just debating and blocking. Here is the article.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/57086

I would love to see more money pumped into the library system. What I would really like to see is the current downtown branch destroyed and an awesome modern facility built in it's place. Maybe a nice Renzo Piano design to compliment or contrast with the new art museum. Yeah, I know not in my lifetime.

Well, I agree that a killer brand new structure would be just the ticket. Unfortunately, I don't think 5.5 million is going to come anywhere close to getting that done. I didn't know the Heironimus building was an option being considered. I sure would like to see something done with that space. In my fantasies, maybe a Pottery Barn or Resoration Hardware would move in! However, the new library seems more practical, realistic and countinues us down the path of ridding downtown of deadspace, so I could put my support behind that idea. The more those sorts of things gets done, the more businesses will be enticed to consider downtown and thus growth will continue. Have to walk before you run!

Tear down that awful building in Elmwood Park and make it all greenspace please!

If the library was torn down along with the Jefferson Motor lodge, and the whole area including that dead end stretch of Bullitt Av was incorperated into elmwood park, it would be a much larger space. If the parking lot behind the short wachovia building was also taken, it would create almost a perfect square. I wonder if it could be used for a large music facility such as the millenium park/pristker pavillion in chicago. Most of the area would remain greenspace, and could be used just the way it is now, only with a capacity for bigger crowds during music events. if this link works, it will show the area im talking about.

live local

The Jefferson moter lodge is just to the north of bullet, wachovia parking lot is just to the left of the 'sonRd' of Williamson Rd.

If the library was torn down along with the Jefferson Motor lodge, and the whole area including that dead end stretch of Bullitt Av was incorperated into elmwood park, it would be a much larger space. If the parking lot behind the short wachovia building was also taken, it would create almost a perfect square. I wonder if it could be used for a large music facility such as the millenium park/pristker pavillion in chicago. Most of the area would remain greenspace, and could be used just the way it is now, only with a capacity for bigger crowds during music events. if this link works, it will show the area im talking about.

live local

The Jefferson moter lodge is just to the north of bullet, wachovia parking lot is just to the left of the 'sonRd' of Williamson Rd.

I like your thinking. But come on do you really want to get rid of the Jefferson Motor lodge?! I mean that's one quality set of accomodations. :P Can you believe it is actually owned and operated by Roanoke College. They should be embarrased. Seriously though, the park is already primarily used for small music festivals with it's current stage. If enough space could be created, perhaps they could turn it into a first class venue that doubles as a downtown park. Much better option than old VS (trying to pull back to the topic here!)

Hopefully we can continue to use the VS thread to discuss related civic issues. The main focus of this thread was to discuss the actions of city council regarding a public facility used for large events. I think Elmwood park is still topical because it involves municipal land and is a possible alternative for services the stadium proponents want. It could also be a great attraction for downtown Roanoke. I do agree that there is the potential to stray too far off topic so thanks for the reminder bmedguy.

(without straying too far off topic)

I've actually stayed at the Jefferson Motor Lodge once. It was cheap in both price and quality. I do think there should be another slightly higher quality low cost hotel downtown if the JML was demolished.

Hopefully we can continue to use the VS thread to discuss related civic issues. The main focus of this thread was to discuss the actions of city council regarding a public facility used for large events. I think Elmwood park is still topical because it involves municipal land and is a possible alternative for services the stadium proponents want. It could also be a great attraction for downtown Roanoke. I do agree that there is the potential to stray too far off topic so thanks for the reminder bmedguy.

(without straying too far off topic)

I've actually stayed at the Jefferson Motor Lodge once. It was cheap in both price and quality. I do think there should be another slightly higher quality low cost hotel downtown if the JML was demolished.

Ooops. Sorry if I offended. I have never stayed at JML so was passing judgement on outside looks. My bad. Just doesn't seem that well maintained from the exterior. Also agree that not every hotel room downtown should be ritzy and pricey. In fact, I think there would be benefit from having more hotel room options directly downtown.

I don't think talking about a replacement entertainment venue at an alternative site for VS is off topic for the thread.

A friend of mine just opened a restaraunt/bar at the lodge where the Chinese restaraunt was. He'll have his ABC license soon. He used to be a bartender/cook at Kara O'caen's Irish Pub if you ever went there. New place is called Pepe O'Malley's. A huge void was left in Roanoke's bar scene when Kara's closed so hopefully this place will fill it.

Archived