State Senate kills Roanoke bill about Victory Stadium

weill

It would be good if that site remained park space, but I always wonder what Carillion is up to. It's not that I don't trust them, it's more that they're usually able to get pretty much anything they want around here from an economic development standpoint.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No other ideas of what they should do with the space? Keep in mind there are current plans in place to move the armory and parks and rec offices as well so it will be a huge blank slate. This is a golden opportunity for the city to do something really first rate.

The city should plan this space to make pedestrian linear connections with the surrounding neighborhoods and facilities. In my opinion, that will create the most successful outcome for the site.

I think the part closest to the river should be a riparian buffer and greenway. Then farther from the river, a campus of gardens surrounding the new ampitheater. A dock for canoes/kayaks is a great idea. And I think at least one more pedestrian bridge should be built.

I would hope that the ampitheater will have at least a 15,000 person capacity. Ideally, the ampitheater would be designed so that a crowd of 2000 would still feel appropriate, and give energy to the performance, but a capacity for much larger crowd would also be possible. Flexibility is key. It should have permanant seating for about 2-5 thousand and overflow capacity for 10-30 thousand additional people. Of course, if possible, I'd like to see the ampitheater match or exceed the 35,000 capacity of former Victory stadium, as concerts in recent years have filled the stadium to that level.

I agree on all points. Perfect configuration for any amphitheater that they do build.

I know I've said this before, but some sort of large signture fountain would be cool. We don't seem to do fountains well here. Half the ones I see hardly ever run. Too expensive to keep going? periodic water shortage? I've always kinda wondered why they stay dry.

Yeah, Roanoke's fountains are pretty lame and if you try to cool off in the rare one that is working you'll be run off or threatened with arrest. Contrast that to Portland, Oregon's fountains. The Ira Keller fountain was designed for people to use and one of the prime people watching spots in Portland is at the big fountain in Waterfromt Park.

Hopefully the photos show up. First time trying a direct link to my blog.

Ira Keller Fountain

keller1.jpg

Waterfront Park

waterfront1.jpg

• 3 months later...

They were putting down sod for the new athletic fields yesterday when I walked by. I still think that area has greater potential than just athletic fields, but at least they won't let it sit there unused for any length of time. Then people would really gripe. For those who missed it, the consultant study on the feasability of an amphitheater came in stating we could support a 7,000 seat outdoor facility that could draw about 18 (not sure how they got that number) shows a year. The four sites under consideration by city council are the old VS site, the Orange Ave site where stadium prep had been done and was halted, Explore Park, and Elmwood Park. Any thoughts on which of those sites would be the best fit?

I would prefer the old VS site or Elmwood Park. The easier it is to walk to and from the site from downtown the better. I find it odd that we will be downgrading from having concerts with 30,000+ people to concerts with 7,000 max in attendance. Last I heard, the population of the valley was 4-5 times what it was when Victory Stadium was built.

Depending on the site, remember 7,000 seats does not necessarily mean 7,000 capacity. If there is lawn behind the seats, the site could accomodate much larger events. Those events would simply be fewer and farther in between. This is why I like VS or Explore Park as Elmwood Park doesn't allow enough room. I like the wakling access of VS as you pointed out, but the potential natural beauty of an Explore Park site might be hard to beat.

I think you're right about Explore Park, except I'd hate to see how big the parking lot would have to be. And what would that do to traffic along the Blue Ridge Parkway? I guess I'd support the VS site the most, along with a trolley to transport crowds back downtown. I think Roanoke should host weekly concerts all through the warm season like Richmond does on Brown's Island.

I thought I read that there would only be a few thousand seats, with overflow capacity of up to 7000. If thats the case, I think its far too small.

Yeah, I really would rather have it centrally located, but I fear that in todays suburban car oriented world, EP might be the more popular choice. I expect VanDer whatshisname would be all over it. The size lot needed would rape a lot of land and the idea makes me cringe as well. However, it could be a showcase of Roanoke's natural beauty if done right and a cheesefest if done wrong.

The article in the paper said 7,000 seats with 2-3,000 covered or sheltered, so from my reading that could still leave potential for lawn overflow if they wished and put it at a sight that allows it. Here's a link.

My gut feeling reading that article is that they want to do something with the Orange Avenue site and may push for it there. That is by far my LEAST favorite choice. However, better there than no amphitheater at all. I am simply pleasantly surprised that this still has a chance to become a reality.

7,000 seats with overflow potential would be good. I think there should be a pit (even if its small) right in front of the stage for more danceable shows. It would suck if it was a seating room only venue. I think if explore park is picked, a parking garage should be built to minimize the area that needs to be paved, and access should be encouraged from Routrough road (which would have to be improved) to minimize traffic on the Parkway.

I think the Explore Park site is to far away, and with the building boom around the old Victory Stadium site, will there be a place to hold 7,000 people at once? The Civic Center area was crazy the other night, Toby Keith-Jesus Christ Superstar-VT Game. Big Mess over there.

• 4 weeks later...

New visions abound for the former stadium site. The consultant offered four different themed designs based on outdoor adventure/natural resource; sports park; family recreation/entertainment; and art and health. The designs can be seen this Roanoke Times article. My favorite design is the outdoor adventure layout, because of the placement of the ampitheater and synthesis of water, walking/hiking, biking and the gondola. It seems to me that this design would be the most attractive to out of towners and locals alike. One thing that confuses me is the placement of the gondola. Why is it at the farthest point on the property from mill mountain. It seems to me that it would make more sense to put the gondola close to Jefferson street, but no matter. I'd be thrilled to see a gondola period, regardless of the location of its terminus.

Now THAT is what I've been talking about. Make this an ambitious first rate park and just watch the development explode around it. This is the kind of vision that is refreshing to see. I was fearful it would just be ballfields. Totally agree the outdoor recreation concept highlights our assets. It may cost a lot, but the city should think of it as an investment that will yield siggificant dividends in the long haul.

Now THAT is what I've been talking about. Make this an ambitious first rate park and just watch the development explode around it. This is the kind of vision that is refreshing to see. I was fearful it would just be ballfields. Totally agree the outdoor recreation concept highlights our assets. It may cost a lot, but the city should think of it as an investment that will yield siggificant dividends in the long haul.

Archived