State Senate kills Roanoke bill about Victory Stadium

weill

I would love to see more money pumped into the library system. What I would really like to see is the current downtown branch destroyed and an awesome modern facility built in it's place. Maybe a nice Renzo Piano design to compliment or contrast with the new art museum. Yeah, I know not in my lifetime.

The city of Norfolk and John Tyler Community College are considering a joint venture for the main city library there. Wouldn't it be great if we do do something similar in Roanoke. Maybe a cooperative venture between the Jefferson College of Health Sciences/Carilion Biomedical institute/Higher Ed. Center. It could be located in the Community hospital building or as an addition to that building... There should be plenty of space and parking there. Wouldn't that be better than renovating the old building with strictly city taxpayer money? :dontknow:

• 1 month later...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a sweep by the independant candidates last night, Mayor Nelson Harris (who campaigned for these candidates) said he would bring up a vote to demolish Victory Stadium at the next council meeting on May 15. Brian Wishneff (the leading supporter of VS) was asked if there would be legal action taken to stop demolitionand and he was quoted as saying "not by me". We shall see if anyone else does. I hope not. The voters have spoken, so my opinion is let's just please move on. I want to see the new amphitheater!

There is a glimmer of hope that things will change at the stadium site now with the new council. I think someone must have been trolling through our threads here. :thumbsup:

The ticket has big plans for this area along the Roanoke River. They see it becoming a cultural, entertainment and arts hub for the entire Valley. "This could be a riverwalk along with extra athletic fields," said council member-elect David Trinkle, "a place to sit down to music. It could be a memorial for veterans. It could be so many things tied in together." Trinkle believes the venue should seat ten to twenty thousand people, mainly on the lawn.

http://www.wdbj7.com/

Sounds great!

One time we were discussing the art museum on here and how we never heard anything about it, and then about 3 hours later, they announced that it was still coming along, and had annonced a contractor to build it.

Im glad we are moving foward, I bet there will be thousands of people on hand for the demolation of Victory Stadium.

Woohoo! They can these threads and take the ideas and run with them all they want. I can't tell you how refreshed I feel about Roanoke after having a clear majority of progressives win the day. I am starting to believe we can get better sooner! :yahoo:

The city of Norfolk and John Tyler Community College are considering a joint venture for the main city library there. Wouldn't it be great if we do do something similar in Roanoke. Maybe a cooperative venture between the Jefferson College of Health Sciences/Carilion Biomedical institute/Higher Ed. Center. It could be located in the Community hospital building or as an addition to that building... There should be plenty of space and parking there. Wouldn't that be better than renovating the old building with strictly city taxpayer money? :dontknow:

You mean Tidewater community college. John Tyler is in Chesterfield

Do you need to find someone to tear down Victory Stadium???

I'll do it for free, I just need to find someone that has a Bulldozer and I'll tear it down brick by brick. I'm so sick and tired of hearing about this stadium debate. I understand about the history and all BUT sometimes it's best to let things go. I'm in favor of redeveloping something for the culture here in Roanoke, YES! Roanoke needs something to reinvent itself, but to keep an old out of date unsafe structure is not the answer.

How about some sorta lifestyle center that will mix in with RiverEdge Sports Complex? I know there is only so much that can be done but if you do it right and with the right tools and with the right mindset, you can do plenty.

Heck I'm in favor of erecting a memorial in the place of Victory Stadium. From my understanding also, Victory Stadium was built in recognition of a group of people from wartime back in the day???

You have to stand in line behind me. I've already offered to buy the M-80s. I'm pretty sure all it would take is a few well placed firecrackers to bring it down.

Here's a brief story of how it got it's name. Roanoke.com

To name the stadium, a committee was formed and suggestions were submitted by the public.

This was the committee's conclusion:

"Every phase of our national life, every fiber of our composite being, every ounce of our energy, ... every hope of our hearts is dedicated relentlessly, without stint or reservation, irrevocably to the achievement of one goal on the gridiron of national security -- Victory."

Surprisingly, however, after this eloquent passage, the committee went on to suggest that "Victory Stadium" need not be a permanent name.

"After the dawn of peace, with victory achieved and the project at Maher Field completed, it is recommended that this name be reviewed in light of the completed project and other conditions then existing."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that it is down, what do you all think could/should be done with the space. There was an article in the paper on the fourth stating they were looking for innovative proposals. (As an aside the 4th was a great event and if it doesn't show the potential of how great and amphitheater would be, nothing will. There were probably 30-40,000 people in that park enjoying a picnic and the symphony along with the fireworks). I know the immediate plan is athletic fields. However, this space has the potential to be much more than that and looks like council sees those fields only as a short term plan. I suppose a lot is dependent on the feasability study for an amphitheater in the Roanoke Valley which is due in September. I think it would be a great site for such a venue as we have previously discussed. I also think a second bridge over the river connectong to River's Edge would be a good idea. Completion of the river portion of the greenway in that area should also be a priority in my opinion. I have lots of other ideas but will share those as the discussion unfolds. What do you all think?

I think Carillion will end up with the land.

Anything is possible of course, but I work for Carilion and can tell you that as of now that is not in their long term plan. They have plenty of other stuff in the works that needs to get going before they take on more. There is also a binding agreement somewhere in all this that the land remains under public use. Council has openly said the development is focused on making it a park of some sort. The question is what should go into the park (eg. gardens, fountain, dock for canoes, memorial, music venue, athletic fields stc.). It appears that is where the debate lies.

Archived