SeaMonkey + IE7 Beta2

M. Brown

If you didn't know, Mozilla has released the long awaited SeaMonkey 1.0 internet suit. Its basically just Firefox and Thurderbird but together. SeaMonkey I assume is suppose to the the full blown Mozilla instead of just the standalone Firefox.

Also in Microsoft as released an official Internet Explorer 7 Beta. This one is legit unlike the illegal beta someone posted online for download and everbody(including me) downloaded it and uninstalled it. To prove that it is legit, the link I posted is strait from Microsoft's website.

Have fun! :D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I've testing out this IE7 Beta 2 and this browser just flies. Beware it is slightly buggy but that is to be expected as this is afterall only a beta version. But definately faster than firefox so far. It has a nice quick tab feature. In firefox you have to do file>new tab which gets old quick. More comments to come.

Edit: one more thing. this overrites your IE6 incase you use that as someone at anandtech pointed out.

IE7 seems less customizable, but of course this isn't the finished product. It is a must (IMO) that it have tabbed bookmarks. Maybe it does already and I just haven't figued out how to do it yet. Another thing I would like it to do is open up your homepage everytime you open another tab. I wish firefox would do that as well. Opera doesn't do that either.

Incase your wondering Windows Update can work though IE7 with this beta unlike the illegal earlier beta of IE7.

But definately faster than firefox so far. It has a nice quick tab feature. In firefox you have to do file>new tab which gets old quick.

That's BS. There are two FAST ways of creating a tab in Firefox. For one you can just do a Ctrl + T on your keyboard to make a new tab (Ctrl + W closes the current tab you're on). Also, if you customize your navigation bar in Firefox there is a "new tab" icon you can add.

That's BS. There are two FAST ways of creating a tab in Firefox. For one you can just do a Ctrl + T on your keyboard to make a new tab (Ctrl + W closes the current tab you're on). Also, if you customize your navigation bar in Firefox there is a "new tab" icon you can add.

You can also click the empty space next to the existing tabs and a new tab will launch.

Its not going to stay far superior for ever. Firefox is definately far superior to IE6 but how can you say Firefox is going to be far superior to IE7 when the final version hasn't even been released yet? You just can't. I think I smell some fanboi-ism in this thread ;). We will see which one is better when the IE7 final is released, but the current beta2 is looking good.

I don't want to have to use my keyboard to open up a tab. And I didn't realize I could put a new tab icon on Firefox. Thanks for showing me. But none of that proves in anyway that Firefox will be better than IE7 final when its released. And is it a given to get bashed by up staff if you have an objection to Firefox only because there is a link for the download at the bottom of UP's website? :unsure:

I don't want to have to use my keyboard to open up a tab. And I didn't realize I could put a new tab icon on Firefox. Thanks for showing me. But none of that proves in anyway that Firefox will be better than IE7 final when its released. And is it a given to get bashed by up staff if you have an objection to Firefox only because there is a link for the download at the bottom of UP's website? :unsure:

I encourage you to point out the exact phrase where you were bashed by a member of staff.

Also, Firefox 2.0 will have a new engine so how can we be so sure that IE won't suffer greatly (again) when Firefox 2.0 is released to the public? :)

I encourage you to point out the exact phrase where you were bashed by a member of staff.

Also, Firefox 2.0 will have a new engine so how can we be so sure that IE won't suffer greatly (again) when Firefox 2.0 is released to the public? :)

I am referring to the immediate opposition to whenever I talk about IE. It happened last time I posted.

And thats exactly my point. Nobody knows so you can't say IE7 wont be better than Firefox 2.0.

I am referring to the immediate opposition to whenever I talk about IE. It happened last time I posted.

And thats exactly my point. Nobody knows so you can't say IE7 wont be better than Firefox 2.0.

That's correct, but for all intended purposes we can say that Firefox is currently the best FINAL browser ou there. When IE7 FINAL hits then we'll have another discussion. For now I think we may all agree that Firefox 1.5 is beating the hell out of IE6

...... And is it a given to get bashed by up staff if you have an objection to Firefox only because there is a link for the download at the bottom of UP's website? :unsure:

In fact you are the only one here that has bashed anyone by referring to people who disagree with your assessment, by accusing them of "fanboi-ism". (whatever the hell that is)

I downloaded the Beta and am on it now. It tooks forever to install, holy bloatware! It moves rather clunkily, scrolling is jerky. It's more compliant that 6 as in, it is properly rendering some sites that wouldn't display properly in 6. The tour touted how the toolbar space is reduced. Perhaps...

ie7vsff-toolbar.jpg

...but Firefox still has a smaller toolbar, and when I turn my bookmarks bar back on, it's still only about half a centermetre larger than the one in IE7 without a bookmarks bar.

On first blush, IE is still playing catchup with the likes of Firefox, Opera, and Safari and is still lagging behind as of this Beta release.

In fact you are the only one here that has bashed anyone by referring to people who disagree with your assessment, by accusing them of "fanboi-ism". (whatever the hell that is)

Fanboi. I'm just saying the last time I post a link about IE7 you immediate put huge Firefox banners and completely took my thread off course when all I wanted to do was just let people check out IE7 beta. I'm not forcing anybody to switch. As a matter of fact I use firefox but I'm just testing out IE7.

I might install the IE beta, but I certainly won't be making it my default browser.

Definately not as a default browser. Its only a beta. I'm not making it my default browser.

Fanboi. I'm just saying the last time I post a link about IE7 you immediate put huge Firefox banners and completely took my thread off course when all I wanted to do was just let people check out IE7 beta. I'm not forcing anybody to switch. As a matter of fact I use firefox but I'm just testing out IE7.

And I have not forced anybody to switch to Firefox, so I don't see your point.

Archived