Kudos To Detroit!

Jonathan

hello all, i just wanted to say kudos to all you detroiters for the warmth and kindness you all have shown us super bowl visitors. you guys are unbelieveable. my wife and i came are from chicago and we were just taken aback by the kindness everybody has shown us. you guys have a wonderful city and your beautiful downtown has and will continue to make excellent strides. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!! from the time we checked into our hotel up until now it has been amazing. we will be coming back this summer. once again thank you all so far for the kindness you all have shown to us and everybody else. DETROIT IS LOVE. Jonathan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Jonathan! We're happy you are having an enjoyable experience and even happier that you plan on returning.

The downtown has made wonderful strides these past few years, and it will be exciting to see what Detroit has in store for the future. Keep coming back and we promise you will see more to come downtown and the surrounding areas.

Again, welcome to the motor city and enjoy the rest of your stay here!

- Wolverine

hello all, i just wanted to say kudos to all you detroiters for the warmth and kindness you all have shown us super bowl visitors. you guys are unbelieveable. my wife and i came are from chicago and we were just taken aback by the kindness everybody has shown us. you guys have a wonderful city and your beautiful downtown has and will continue to make excellent strides. WE LOVE IT!!!!!!! from the time we checked into our hotel up until now it has been amazing. we will be coming back this summer. once again thank you all so far for the kindness you all have shown to us and everybody else. DETROIT IS LOVE. Jonathan

Doing the snow dance for you so you can enjoy the warming tents all the more!

That gave me chills. Thanks for the kind words, jonathan! :)

One of the greatest things about Detroit is its people. Others can criticize about all the temporary fixes that are going to go away, but one thing you can't take away from a Detroiter is his character. I guarantee the friendliness you experience now will still be there on your next trip and every trip then on. Welcome and welcome back!

Yes, we have very many wonderful people in our area. The thing is, most people won't actually admit they are proud of Detroit. Others will not except it. BUT THIS SUPERBOWL IS OUR CHANCE TO SHINE! Suburbanites coming from everywhere wondering, "HOLY COW, LOOK AT THE CITY. AMAZING!" It gives me the chills to think about how many people our city will be touching in this week of activities. AMAZING STUFF! Thankyou Jonathan for complimenting our fare City.

Yes, we have very many wonderful people in our area. The thing is, most people won't actually admit they are proud of Detroit. Others will not except it. BUT THIS SUPERBOWL IS OUR CHANCE TO SHINE! Suburbanites coming from everywhere wondering, "HOLY COW, LOOK AT THE CITY. AMAZING!" It gives me the chills to think about how many people our city will be touching in this week of activities. AMAZING STUFF! Thankyou Jonathan for complimenting our fare City.

no, thank you all!!!!! you guys are fabulous. in fact my wife and i are looking to buy a condo here for a get away spot in detroit. any suggestions? we really liked Woodward Place At Brush Park.

This discussion has me thinking...should we expect a sharp boost in people interested in moving downtown after this weekend? Or, do you think people will just assume nothing has changed, and the good look is all cosmetic?

well i know of atleast two people who are already sold on the idea!!!! my wife and myself.

well i know of atleast two people who are already sold on the idea!!!! my wife and myself.

Then I'll see you around!! My fiance and I are in search of housing right now. I've got an apartment off seven mile that I split my time in (Work in Detroit, school in East Lansing). But we're looking for housing in the city center for after I graduate in May.

no, thank you all!!!!! you guys are fabulous. in fact my wife and i are looking to buy a condo here for a get away spot in detroit. any suggestions? we really liked Woodward Place At Brush Park.

Since it is just a get-a-way, I'm assuming that you are looking for a smaller place.

The Park-Shelton @Kirby & Woodward is being converted to Condos. There are some small, inexpensive units there. Because of the size of the building, you should be able to find something there. It also has to have great views.

There are a number of other places in Brush Park. The Carlton come to mind, but many smaller places.

On the west side of woodward, in the Cass Cooridor, there are a lot of small (# of units) of Projects.

1001 Woodward is selling condos, if you like the idea of high-rise at the center. I believe the Iodent building (above the Centaur on Park Ave) will be condos too. Parts of the Riverfront Towers are being converted to condos as well.

There are also some place on East Jefferson or Corktown, but that might not be what you are looking for.

I think the fact that two people from Chicago are so impressed with Detroit that they want to buy a get away house here says everything. Jonathan welcome and good luck house hunting. Its open minded, enthusiastic people like yourself that this city needs. Thank you for being part of the solution and not the problem.

Welcome & glad you're feeling some Detroit Love!

I just wanted to point out another possibility. There are high-rise co-op units called 1300 Lafayette East designed by Gunnar Birkerts in the early 60's. They have a real 60's retro feel to them. They have studios, one, two, three, and four bedroom units. It has a fantastic marble lobby; this place is reminiscent of a bygone era of elegance.

I knew someone who lived there a couple of years ago on the 24th floor. The view of the city was fantastic and they had use of a community patio which offered a great view of the fireworks on the river. They had secured visitor parking, underground tenant parking, two swimming pools and a doorman who greeted all the tenants by name. At least one area entertainer from the Motown era and several judges live there; she greeted them daily in the elevators. And this place is walking distance to Greektown and the stadiums.

My friend, who is an architect, and her husband bought two units side by side and remodeled them into one larger unit and furnished it with 60's retro furnishings. It was beautiful. She did it as a hobby and an investment. Once she had completed it to her liking, she sold it and moved on to her next project.

The last time I checked on units here for someone (about 9 mos ago) they were very reasonably priced. If you're curious about them do an internet search on Gunnar Birkerts and 1300 Lafayette East, several different sites should come up with this building's history and photos.

Also, I would suggest checking out the MLS realtor listings...that's where I remember finding them before.

Granted they're not lofts. If you're into the whole loft lifestyle, then you probably wouldn't like these. But if you're looking for a get-a-way retreat place to have a rendezvous, I suggest you check them out.

Archived