Education in the Augusta ARea

PJA

Indeed. The saddest part about Davidson is the fact that barely got a mention on one of the middle pages of our Metro section, but made the front page of the AJC--on a Sunday edition might I add. I couldn't believe that the AJC had a better appreciation for what Davidson has accomplished than our newspaper.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed. The saddest part about Davidson is the fact that barely got a mention on one of the middle pages of our Metro section, but made the front page of the AJC--on a Sunday edition might I add. I couldn't believe that the AJC had a better appreciation for what Davidson has accomplished than our newspaper.

I have now read that article. It is quite sad that it was not mentioned in Augusta's newspaper. from the article, it's number one status is quite a feat considering that the income levels of most of the metro Atlanta schools that made the top 10 are quite to extremely high. I would think that there would already be a second such charter school in the Richmond county area patterned after Davidson. It's success is to be commended and celebrated.

A.R. Johnson is the other magnet school. Its focus is more on arts and sciences. I think Davidson's focuses more on drama and liberal arts. A friend of mine contacted the Augusta Chronicle in that regard and they claim to be doing a more comprehensive story on Davidson.....haven't seen anything yet though.

well....In response to that, Davidson has been consistently doing great things, that ALL of Augusta should know about well by now. While this is the first time it's making the AJC that reaches all other parts of GA. One thing to also consider too is that this school is almost in a place of it's own. It's a magnet school that has its own strict rules and expectations of ALL it's students. And so far I think they're population is around 700-750 Students. Most of these other schools on the list are MUCH larger (bigger than some colleges), are more economically advantaged, and are regular comprehensive schools to my knowledge.

But I do agree. Davidson is probably the best thing that Augusta-Richmond County has right now. It was even reported in the National Geographic when they did the 30904 story during Master's week of 2003.

^ You're correct. The Augusta Chronicle, however, has a history of downplaying anything postive related to Richmond County, especially when it comes to education. That newspaper will run huge articles on subjects such as the exodus of people from Richmond County or the booming population of Columbia County. We're inundated with frivolous news from the suburban schools about football championships, spelling bees, et al. When it comes to Davidson, however, the Chronicle publishes a 3 sentence article on it being the number one school in Georgia? To me that's a story. The fact that it happens every year makes it even more of a story. Why do we get to read about how dangerous and bad Richmond County is everday? Is that not just as blatantly apparent to anyone who lives here as Davidson's success? The Chronicle is biased and it comes out in its treatment of Augusta's only core county. When my old high school (Hephzibah) broke the 1000 mark on the SATs a couple of years ago, the Chronicle did everything it could to discredit those scores---as thought it were impossible for those kids to actually exceed the state average.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the world should stop because one of our schools is succesful, but the Chronicle makes me mad with its treatment of this city. As you stated, Johnson finished high as well. That makes two schools from Richmond up there. How about the advanced program at Richmond Academy that's garnered awards? How about an article that mentions all of those schools and talks about us in a positive light?

• 1 month later...

Archived