Charlotte Downtown Saturday Afternoon

monsoon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely fantastic tour!!! This is EXACTLY the type of pictures that will show people what Charlotte is all about. All the pictures were excellent, but for some reasons I loved the last one the most. The street level activity (both pedestrian and vehicular) testify that DT Charlotte has become a great destination, especially when one considers it was Saturday afternoon. Tryon road is one of my favorite main [big city] streets. It is definitely the best in NC and I look at it as a model-street. If any city is looking into revitalizing its main [downtown] streets, Tryon Rd is THE road to immitate.

Uptownliving, next time bring an extra layer of clothes with you, if it is cold. Because of you, we did not get the full tour we paid for, but I will not ask for my money back, the tour was well worth it :)

Nice tour, monsoon. Thanks for sharing. It is remarkable the number of people on downtown streets on a cold Saturday afternoon. Charlotte looks fantastic, and I notice a lot of Panthers colors on people.

I am a little disappointed that there isn't more brick.... ;)

Great photos!!! Unfortunately our tour was cut a little short cause it was getting chilly out and I did not have my heavy coat with me.

Should also note that we ate at the Pita Pit...and for a 3pm on a Saturday there were quite a few people there eating lunch.

they have to have the WORST pitas i've ever had. cold pitas, processed cheese, hard veggies and whenever i go- they never have falaffel!! :angry:

Great photos!

Last time I was at Discovery Place was on a class field trip. I would like to go back. I'm sure it would be more fun now than it was back then. I think that was my first trip to Charlotte, when I was at Rugby Middle School? I remember looking up at the NationsBank Corporate Center and thinking how tall it was. I was just starting to get intrested in skyscrapers and the trip was exciting. I thought Charlotte would look like Atlanta, since Charlotte was slightly bigger in population and had all those tall towers listed in the World Almanac. :D

When my family still lived in the Charlotte area back in the early 80s, I remember going to Discovery Place shortly after it opened. I also remember a 2nd or 3rd grade field trip there in 1984-1986 (not sure which year), before we moved to VA...

The images in my head are very different from those that I see now whilst visiting the same spots. That whole area of uptown is much darker now, what with the new skyscrapers towering around, blocking sunlight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was in Charlotte last summer. I met some friends in Southend. When I returned to my hotel (Omni), I was surprised that the streets were crowded at 2:30 AM. It looked to me that Charlotte is pretty much at least a 20 hour-a-day city? I am looking forward to my next visit.

Archived