NAS Oceana

rusthebuss

• 1 month later...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incentives plan proposed to make risk zone BRAC friendly

VIRGINIA BEACH - In their bid to save the jets at Oceana Naval Air Station, city officials have crafted a plan to eliminate incompatible businesses in high-risk areas around the base.

Under the plan, property owners would get incentives to convert existing incompatible businesses or to open new commercial ventures that the Navy considers compatible in Accident Potential Zone 1.

Business operators in the Clear Zone, the highest-risk area for a jet crash, would be offered incentives to relocate

article

"The goal of the plan, city officials said, is to offer incentives making it attractive for owners to convert them into compatible businesses, such as mini-warehouses or auto-repair shops."

yuck. the only good thing i can really see about business shuffling around, is maybe they'd end up in pembroke and just boost development over there.

"The goal of the plan, city officials said, is to offer incentives making it attractive for owners to convert them into compatible businesses, such as mini-warehouses or auto-repair shops."

yuck. the only good thing i can really see about business shuffling around, is maybe they'd end up in pembroke and just boost development over there.

I don't know about this. I think Oceana is going to close anyway and they are choking the life from that section of the city. The city is going to push all the business away from that area and hurt other areas as well and about 10 years from now the base will be closed and the city looses out from both sides.

I don't know about this. I think Oceana is going to close anyway and they are choking the life from that section of the city. The city is going to push all the business away from that area and hurt other areas as well and about 10 years from now the base will be closed and the city looses out from both sides.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you on this one Rus. :(

I hate to say it, but I agree with you on this one Rus. :(

I'm not trying to be negative but it seems like someone wants to move they base from there. I don't know why but more and likely its political. I think Vabeach needs to think beyond Oceana and move to something that pays alot higher. It would be easier to deal with this now than 10-20 years from now when opportunities are being passed by that could grow the city and the region exponentially.

Well, I also agree that NAS will be gone sooner than later but the city does want to keep the base here if at all possbile. They are doing all they can - short of condemning the property in the high noise area- to appease everyone. In the end though I think it will not be enough and the base will be shuttered.

Well, I also agree that NAS will be gone sooner than later but the city does want to keep the base here if at all possbile. They are doing all they can - short of condemning the property in the high noise area- to appease everyone. In the end though I think it will not be enough and the base will be shuttered.

Well with all the people being vocal about the jet noise, I think this might be the major reasoning for the base to leave. I don't understand how you can move somewhere and be pissed off about something that was there before you were. Something tells me that the jet noise whiners are the ones that helped put it on the BRAC list. I hope they are happy when they lose their jobs.

All of this BRAC stuff is just political barnburning if you ask me. Even if they moved it to a virgin forest in Carolina, the new base would spur development in its shadow. Housing for the sailors and staff would create new towns and tax the local infrastructure to its limits. In all, the Navy would be paying billions to move to and create a new base and in the end they're gonna have the same results. I think that they know that and they're just trying to secure Oceana's future and they're doing it by scare tactics and empty threats. I hope that I'm not wrong about this, because if they close it they'll take many decades to turn it over to the city. Then they'll have half the base preserved as a wetlands preserve and the other half will be contaminated or in need of some sort of cleanup and in the end the region will be without those jobs and without any useable land.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not surprised to hear this. <_<

New doubts raised about efforts to curb growth around Oceana

RICHMOND -- U.S. Sen. John Warner, R-Va., warned state leaders today that the Inspector General of the Defense Department has raised new doubts about a plan by Virginia Beach and the state to curb growth around Oceana Naval Air Station.

"There's still some concern, as communicated to me earlier this morning by the Inspector General's office in the Department of Defense, that it's questionable whether or not he can deviate ... from the letter of the law," Warner told Gov. Timothy M. Kaine in a meeting with Virginia's congressional delegation.

story

I am not surprised to hear this. <_<

New doubts raised about efforts to curb growth around Oceana

story

My god, why cant they just leave already. The navy does not want to be here and they are eventually going to leave anyway. The only reason we are dealing with so much contraversy is because they cant find another base to move the jets right now. I know somewhere on this thread there was a post that had the city's study which stated that the city would recover from the navy leaving by 2010. That date is not too far away, and the longer the city waits to get rid of the navy, the longer it will take to recover once they leave. All this is doing right now is stunting business growth in the area and completely stunting new urbanization on the hot zones at the oceanfront.

• 1 month later...

Man it seems like when it rains it pours. I'm waiting for more bad news now. We need things to replace this! I wish the gov. could hear us. We need higher paying jobs here. Stop over looking us!

Be prepared for a year of little development, then a sudden explosion of development all over the strip. I have been waiting for this to happen for so long. The nineteenth street corridor will be completely revitalized and the whole strip will be completely revitalized. This is a blessing in disguise. Just give it some time.

Be prepared for a year of little development, then a sudden explosion of development all over the strip. I have been waiting for this to happen for so long. The nineteenth street corridor will be completely revitalized and the whole strip will be completely revitalized. This is a blessing in disguise. Just give it some time.

Dude I hope that you are right. Some of the high paying salaries are from these pilots though so look for our mean income to drop. I wonder what the Navy will do with the land? or what will the city do with it if it gets it back.

The Navy still doesn't have a viable relocation plan A and B Florida doesn't want them anyway. It will be quite some time from this announcement to closure and if we play our cards right we can already have a plan in place. BRAC knew good and damn well that the city council was not about to evict thousands of families off their land. I personally think that Principi et. al purposefully made the order impossible to comply with. There were an awful lot of hidden agendas at play here.

Archived