NAS Oceana

rusthebuss

Nothing? I thought is was just residential but you may be right. Nothing seems a bit drastic on the Navys part but whats new? Talk about strangling a city to death. <_< The restrictions do affect the entire oceanfront currently but in the very last article in the dome site hotel thread it said the city council was looking into raising height limits on certain areas of the oceanfront. Even if they succeed in that you still have the problem of density restrictions which are just as bad if not worse when it comes to limiting development on the oceanfront. The way I see it we're in a lose/lose situation on that front.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if you belive the conspiracy theories that the only reason any of this ever came up was political, then maybe this does put an end to it. From the beginning no one in the Navy wanted this to happen. It was added in last minute, by some would have you belive, FL politicos. The city of Jacksonville didn't even want it. They kinda played along for a little bit, saying.. uhm.. ya... we could reopen Cecil field if we wanted.. i guess... do we have to? And then they kinda let it all slide. They didn't want it. So all it accomplished was maybe giving the Navy a little more sway than it already had in Va Beach. Or maybe not. A lot of ppl were ready to let Oceana go. Typical politics I guess. A whole lotta noise, and yet nothing really changed.

Nathman declined, however, to comment on a draft proposal to build a 30-story hotel at the Oceanfront.

"I don't want the Navy stepping into every development idea," he said. He added, though, he wants the Navy's interests to be considered during community discussions about development.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Oceana noise due to double?

Newsworthy reading in a couple of places, concerning the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which will most certainly be based at Oceana, starting around 2012:

a recent US study states that the F-35 is twice as loud as current fighter aircraft designs.

Oh yay, more jets. :rolleyes: Why don't we just move out of half of the city and cede it to the Navy? I think it's time we tell them to pack their bags. It seems obvious now that they're only about us making concessions to them, but will never return that favor.

The Joint Strike fighter will be considerably quieter than the Hornet, but so expensive that I foresee limited production. The vertical lift capability that the Marines wanted adds a great deal to the cost of the plane. Looks like it may supplement the Hornets rather than replace them, but who knows?

That's interesting and conflicts a bit what I've heard in casual conversation with Navy planners and officials in the past (during the BRAC process). It may be that the noise levels might be less obnoxious in the higher frequencies, where the Hornet's sound characteristics are more "screechy." I still think that the cost of the things is going to become more of an issue.

CNO has already testified that there will be a shortage of fighters, starting in 2016, as the F-18Cs come to the end of their service life (started in '87). If you look at the MC and the Navy, the shortfall bottoms out at 200 aircraft. Delay the replacement buy any further, and you make that shortfall greater. If you don't have aircraft to deliver ordinance, then you start questioning why you have carriers. The Navy will find the money, before they allow that questioning to occur.

JSF is actually a pretty cheap a/c -- $29-34M a copy. F-22 is around $138M per. Guess which would get schwacked faster?

The Raptor is a very expensive plane: about $138M per unit is the number I've seen also. However, the 2008 unit cost of the F-35 is about $122M...it's risen considerably, and that does not include as estimated $650 billion for life cycle operation and support. Foreign participation in the program helps offset costs, but the F-35 program is regarded as the most expensive defense project ever undertaken.

The Raptor is a very expensive plane: about $138M per unit is the number I've seen also. However, the 2008 unit cost of the F-35 is about $122M...it's risen considerably, and that does not include as estimated $650 billion for life cycle operation and support. Foreign participation in the program helps offset costs, but the F-35 program is regarded as the most expensive defense project ever undertaken.

Nevertheless, maybe we can go with fewer planes and move the Master Jet Base out of Oceana too. I agree that the racket is just too much. I also think the nation would be safer with some of these facilities spread out a bit more. It's not like we ship the planes UPS to the carriers.

Is the lower cost a recent estimate, or was it based on an earlier report study? If the lower cost estimate is still valid, that plane is a bargain. We'll see. Given the machinations of the military/industrial comples, the plane will probably be put into production, but maybe in phases that make political sense given the current ecomomy.

• 1 month later...

More on the F-35 noise issue.

F-35: I am Fighter, Hear Me Roar

At the end of September 2008, NWF Daily News reported that noise complaints from local residents may threaten the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter's proposed Integrated Training Center at Eglin AFB, FL.

(The) sticking point is a side effect of the F-35's 40,000 pound thrust single engine, which currently enjoys a large lead as the most powerful fighter engine on the market. That's helpful for the fighter, but not so helpful when it comes to audible noise; the F-35 is reportedly close to 2 times louder than the F-15 fighter, and close to 4 times louder than an F-16. This issue has forced a delay in critical approvals for Eglin AFB, and has also become an international concern

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, it seems like Oceana is here to stay for a while, and hey, at least they are being good citizens and paying their part...kind of...

Navy to put in $3.8 million to help Beach protect Oceana

I like the idea of buying up all the farm land, and preventing encroachment blah blah blah, how about preventing more suburban sprawl! I always envisoned some sort of complete green zone around Oceana and along its flight path (or just getting rid of the base if it keeps stunting oceanfront growth).

It would almost be a suburban reversal from the suburbs back to rural farms and forestry, keeping nothing but the roads. For example, imagine what TC and Pembroke would look like if the city would move all of the Lynnhaven parkway businesses to that area. Obviously it would have to be done in steps and the mall would probably have to go last, but if that could happen and lynnhaven parkway gets converted back to green space, it would really do a lot to consolidate and beautify the city.

Archived