Questions about Fayetteville

I wanted to ask some question to some of the people who may have lived in this area longer than I have. I've been wondering what the city was like in the upcoming decades before I moved here. I believe I've heard that Fiesta Square was a drive-in before it became a shopping center. I've also gotten the impression Evelyn Hills is probably the oldest retail area outside the downtown area. Anyone have any comments or history about these areas? I also now know that Malco used to be located in the Ozark Building just north of the Old Courthouse. They moved out in the 70's where I'm assuming they moved into what's the Razorback Theater. Any ideas what that area was before the theater?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I've only lived in Fayetteville since the mid 80's, I've also been told that Fiesta Square used to be a drive-in. I remember back then (as a kid) that it had a Wal-Mart... also, K-Mart was across 71B where Hobby Lobby is now.

I bet your probably right about Evelyn Hills. I also remember when it used to have a Montgomery Ward.

What I always was curious about was Dickson St way back when-- I swear when I was little, before the Walton Arts Center was built, that there used to be a lot of railroad tracks across there (of course now there is only one). I wonder what sort of industries used to be there.

Even though I've only lived in Fayetteville since the mid 80's, I've also been told that Fiesta Square used to be a drive-in. I remember back then (as a kid) that it had a Wal-Mart... also, K-Mart was across 71B where Hobby Lobby is now.

I bet your probably right about Evelyn Hills. I also remember when it used to have a Montgomery Ward.

What I always was curious about was Dickson St way back when-- I swear when I was little, before the Walton Arts Center was built, that there used to be a lot of railroad tracks across there (of course now there is only one). I wonder what sort of industries used to be there.

Sounds like I came to Fayetteville after you did. I didn't come till 89 but it was a while before I became somewhat familiar with the city. I really don't remember a whole lot about Dickson before the Walton Arts Center. It really wasn't a place to go to back then. I do remember a comic book/bookstore back then along there. I think that was the only reason I stopped by there. I wish I had some pictures back then of what it was like. I'm pretty sure the K-Mart was still open when I came here, although I don't think it was open for too long. I could be wrong but it seems like a number of buildings along College Ave might have occured around the 70's. Didn't the mall open sometime in the 70's also?

Well, I was born here in good old Washington Regional back in '77. Evelyn Hills, from what I understand was the first large shopping center in town. My parents remember the drive-in where Fiesta Square now stands, as well as one on 6th street where another supercenter now stands. The Malco was on Dickson as well. Back in the mid to late 80s, being in elementary school, I remember Dickson street was not somewhere to hang out. There were murders and stabbings and that sort of thing in the area. But as soon as the WAC was built, Dickson changed! That area of town has done a complete turn around in the las t 15-20 years.

Well, I was born here in good old Washington Regional back in '77. Evelyn Hills, from what I understand was the first large shopping center in town. My parents remember the drive-in where Fiesta Square now stands, as well as one on 6th street where another supercenter now stands. The Malco was on Dickson as well. Back in the mid to late 80s, being in elementary school, I remember Dickson street was not somewhere to hang out. There were murders and stabbings and that sort of thing in the area. But as soon as the WAC was built, Dickson changed! That area of town has done a complete turn around in the las t 15-20 years.

Yeah I seem to recall hearing about a drive-in over on 6th St now that you mention it. There is a building on the west part of Dickson near the university that looks like it was a theater. Was this where Malco was also located? I don't know just how bad it got along Dickson St but that was the rough part of town for a while. It didn't seem so bad during the daytime but I think it would get a bit rough at night. I think the bars attracted a differet type of people back then.

Yeah I seem to recall hearing about a drive-in over on 6th St now that you mention it. There is a building on the west part of Dickson near the university that looks like it was a theater. Was this where Malco was also located? I don't know just how bad it got along Dickson St but that was the rough part of town for a while. It didn't seem so bad during the daytime but I think it would get a bit rough at night. I think the bars attracted a differet type of people back then.

Yes, I believe that is where the Malco was, back in the 40s or 50s.

Yes, I believe that is where the Malco was, back in the 40s or 50s.

Okay I think I'm starting to piece this together now. Not sure when Malco came to Fayetteville but it sounds like it was first located in the Ozark Building just north of the Old Courthouse. It then went to it's Dickson St location from the 50's to the 70's. Then they eventually moved into the current Razorback location.

Hu, I never knew Fayetteville had a Montgomery Ward, how fascinating.

Yeah I think I only went into it once or twice. I don't recall ever being too impressed with it. I don't think it closed until the early 90's. There was also a Woolworth at the Square, not sure when it closed. Was Montgomery Ward the only anchor at Evelyn Hills? Was there a Sears, JC Penny, or Dillards there before the mall? Or did Fayetteville even have any of those stores before the mall?

Yeah I think I only went into it once or twice. I don't recall ever being too impressed with it. I don't think it closed until the early 90's. There was also a Woolworth at the Square, not sure when it closed. Was Montgomery Ward the only anchor at Evelyn Hills? Was there a Sears, JC Penny, or Dillards there before the mall? Or did Fayetteville even have any of those stores before the mall?

There were several department stores on the Square before the mall opened in the 1970s.

My grandmother worked at "The Boston Store" when it was on the square and later when it moved to the mall.

There were several department stores on the Square before the mall opened in the 1970s.

My grandmother worked at "The Boston Store" when it was on the square and later when it moved to the mall.

I wonder if one of them is where AG Edwards is now located. It almost makes me think of a 50's style department store. I saw an old picture of Fayetteville looking down Block St. There had been a really nice building where AG Edwards is now. Too bad it didn't survive like the other 1800's building that did survive in that part of the Square.

You're durn right Montgomery Wards is fascinating. Especially growing up in NWA, where Wal-Marts are everywhere, having something non-Wal-Mart was fascinating. Fascinating that they were still even in business as long as they were. I remember the K-Mart across from Fiesta- as kids we would ride our bike there and play around in the store-- no one cared, there were toys and junk on the floor, it was like a playground. I'm surprised the one in Springdale is even still around.

The K-Mart at Sunset Plaza in Springdale was remodelled several years ago and converted to a BigK.

Shows you how long since I've bene there. :lol: Guess I won't have to worry about going back to feel some of that nostalgia of the old 70's setup.

The K-Mart at Sunset Plaza in Springdale was remodelled several years ago and converted to a BigK.

The one in Rogers used to be a SuperK, and closed about 5 years ago. I was waiting for the one in Springdale to close, but it still hasn't. From what I've heard, it will probably always be open, since some people in NWA are always trying to find an alternative to Wally World.

The one in Rogers used to be a SuperK, and closed about 5 years ago. I was waiting for the one in Springdale to close, but it still hasn't. From what I've heard, it will probably always be open, since some people in NWA are always trying to find an alternative to Wally World.

The one in Rogers was a huge mistake. You know they built it out of pride. Wasn't it basically across the street from the Wal-mart headquarters or something? I really doubted it was going to last long. There was a good use of that money. You can tell just from that why K-mart is having problems, sinking money into bad stores or bad locations.

The one in Rogers was a huge mistake. You know they built it out of pride. Wasn't it basically across the street from the Wal-mart headquarters or something? I really doubted it was going to last long. There was a good use of that money. You can tell just from that why K-mart is having problems, sinking money into bad stores or bad locations.

The one in Rogers is exactly across from the Rogers Supercenter on Walnut. It was hilarious seeing as how I used to work at that store, and their managers would sometimes come into our store to look at what we were doing. Of course they were asked to leave several times. :lol:

The one in Rogers is exactly across from the Rogers Supercenter on Walnut. It was hilarious seeing as how I used to work at that store, and their managers would sometimes come into our store to look at what we were doing. Of course they were asked to leave several times. :lol:

Matt already knows this but I thought I'd add that the Rogers Wal-Mart is the first Wal-Mart store to ever exist. Wal-Mart Store #1.

At the time K-Mart built their store in Rogers Wal-Mart wasn't considered a great threat. In fact K-Mart was more popular than Wal-Mart. Amazing how things change and people that hate Wal-Mart can still be caught shopping there, maybe wearing a disguise and hiding from anyone who might know them. :D

^

My brother is one of those people that hates Wal-Mart and will not shop there for anything... he'd rather spend all his free time and all his spare change on running all over town looking for clearance sales. I'm a simple kind of guy and I like to find "almost" everything I need under one roof. Besides, I can buy 3 pair of leather Earth Shoes for what one pair of leather shoes costs on sale at major deptartment stores.

For the sake of staying on topic here's an interesting news article about problems with the new Harmon parking garage in Fayetteville... Computer trouble slows commuters :lol:

Archived