Questions about Fayetteville

Yeah, that's funny, thanks for the link. I shouldn't laugh, though-- I spent many years there fighting for parking space. Never would use pay parking though-- I would park in a little-known half-secret parking area, or on the off-campus lots, or just walk back when I lived near campus. Those pay spots in the parking decks are crazy.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the garage 500 or 1,000 spaces?

Good question, to be honest I'm not sure just how big it is. I only know how many levels there are and such. I was disappointed to see they still look like they're working on getting some of those amenities and such. I'm waiting for when they'll have the main entrance lit up at night. I'm anticipating some nice shots. :D

Isn't the garage 500 or 1,000 spaces?

Lesse, if I remember correctly from the design plans there were about 200 something spots per level (I want to say 270-280, but it's been awhile), so multiply that by 9 then that's about 2000 spots, give or take. The UA website probably says it somewhere.

Fiesta Square was indeed the old 71 Drive-In. We used to sneak in there back in High School. Spent many an evening there.

The 62 Drive-In was a little further down toward Farmington than where the SuperCenter is. It was down by the Junkyard and the Rink(a Fayetteville icon itself). They tore the 62 Drive-In down many years ago. I remember watching "The Howling" there. ;)

I watched movies at the theater north of the old courthouse, too, when I was a young kid. When they moved, it wasn't to Razorback theater, but to Malco theater, which used to be in the little plaza across 71 from Fiesta Square. No idea what's there now, but if you drive around to the south side of the yarn shop, you'll see the entrance to the theater. They were there for a long time before the big one at Fiesta opened.

The history of Dickson St. is overblown. I only remember one person being shot there, and that was a stray bullet that went through the front glass of the White Water Tavern, which later became the Ozark Brewing Company.

Dickson has lost a helluva lot of its' character with all of the upgrades and remodels. That used to be a really eclectic place where bikers, students, professors, and locals all hung out together. It hasn't had that grit in 20 years now.

Any of you guys ever watch a movie at the UARK theater on Dickson? :P

Fiesta Square was indeed the old 71 Drive-In. We used to sneak in there back in High School. Spent many an evening there.

The 62 Drive-In was a little further down toward Farmington than where the SuperCenter is. It was down by the Junkyard and the Rink(a Fayetteville icon itself). They tore the 62 Drive-In down many years ago. I remember watching "The Howling" there. ;)

I watched movies at the theater north of the old courthouse, too, when I was a young kid. When they moved, it wasn't to Razorback theater, but to Malco theater, which used to be in the little plaza across 71 from Fiesta Square. No idea what's there now, but if you drive around to the south side of the yarn shop, you'll see the entrance to the theater. They were there for a long time before the big one at Fiesta opened.

One of the saddest things in this world is seeing your favorite Drive-In from your childhood overgrown with weeds and the movie screen falling over and then someday someone finally bulldozes it to a distant memory. I didn't grow up here but my boyhood Drive-In down in Florida came to the same tragic end.

Let's just hope this fate does not befall upon the 112 Drive-In. I don't think I could cope with that loss.

The history of Dickson St. is overblown. I only remember one person being shot there, and that was a stray bullet that went through the front glass of the White Water Tavern, which later became the Ozark Brewing Company.

Dickson has lost a helluva lot of its' character with all of the upgrades and remodels. That used to be a really eclectic place where bikers, students, professors, and locals all hung out together. It hasn't had that grit in 20 years now.

Welcome to the forum MDEM. Thanks for the info. There's still a plaza across from Fiesta Square but I think it's been remodeled or at least some of it has. I don't think it's the same as when Malco was over there. Was the Malco there for very long? I will admit Dickson St has changed but personally I think it's gotten better. The Dickson St I remember when I first moved here was getting pretty run down. Can't say I've seen a movie at the UARK theater. I wonder when they stopped showing movies there.

One of the saddest things in this world is seeing your favorite Drive-In from your childhood overgrown with weeds and the movie screen falling over and then someday someone finally bulldozes it to a distant memory. I didn't grow up here but my boyhood Drive-In down in Florida came to the same tragic end.

Let's just hope this fate does not befall upon the 112 Drive-In. I don't think I could cope with that loss.

I hate to disappoint but with the way that area will probably pick up with a Sam's being built there I'd be pretty surprised if the drive-in lasts for very long there.

I hate to disappoint but with the way that area will probably pick up with a Sam's being built there I'd be pretty surprised if the drive-in lasts for very long there.

Possibly... although Park West and the new Sam's Club aren't going to be adjacent to 112 Drive-In an aerial shot from GoogleEarth does show the Drive-In in an area that will more than likely be developed. Oh well, Drive-In movies will be a thing of the past eventually. I'm just hoping the 112 Drive-In will be around for a few more years so my son will be old enough to appreciate it before it dissappears forever... :cry:

Welcome MDEM to Urban Planet!!

Thankyou for all the great info about Fayetteville, and old movie theatres, I wish Rogers would have kept it's old ones. Are you from Fayetteville?

Welcome MDEM to Urban Planet!!

Thankyou for all the great info about Fayetteville, and old movie theatres, I wish Rogers would have kept it's old ones. Are you from Fayetteville?

MDEM's other posts are in the Boston topic. I'm just guessing but I figured MDEM's childhood was here in Fayetteville but lives elsewhere, like Boston, now.

I don't think it's the same as when Malco was over there. Was the Malco there for very long?

Malco was there for a long time. Building's still standing, but I have no idea what's there now. It's the east face of the building behind the yarn shop that was the entry to the theater. I'd be interested to know what they did with the theater rooms themselves.

UARK theater stopped showing movies in the early '80s. It was a bar/punk club for awhile, and last time I was in town had become Sydney's T-shirt shop. You guys should buy a shirt from Sydney. He's good people.

I was raised in Fayetteville. Still own property there, and get down about once a year. Miss the area, and will likely retire there when all is said and done.

As to being upset when they tore the Drive-ins down, nah. Only one that bugged me was when Springdale forced the Tri-city Drive-in out of business. :whistling:

News Bulletin: Condo Fever Outbreak in Fayetteville...

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that whenever Northwest Arkansas learns a new word everyone seems to become obsessed with that word until the next new word comes along?

The latest condo news is in north Fayetteville at the Bristol Gardens apartment complex. Well they're not going to be apartments much longer... they're being magically transformed into "condos" called "The Reserve at Steele Crossing." Apartment complexes throughout Northwest Arkansas are jealous... why I even heard one apartment complex wanting to become a "mixed-use" and another one down the road wants to become a "gated community." :blink:

News Bulletin: Condo Fever Outbreak in Fayetteville...

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that whenever Northwest Arkansas learns a new word everyone seems to become obsessed with that word until the next new word comes along?

The latest condo news is in north Fayetteville at the Bristol Gardens apartment complex. Well they're not going to be apartments much longer... they're being magically transformed into "condos" called "The Reserve at Steele Crossing." Apartment complexes throughout Northwest Arkansas are jealous... why I even heard one apartment complex wanting to become a "mixed-use" and another one down the road wants to become a "gated community." :blink:

I do like the idea of condos over apartments. There's already a lot of apartments in Fayetteville, time to convert some into condos. It also gives people more options. I'm sure there are people wanting to own and they obviously can't do that with apartments. That and if we have people who are wanting places to live that take up a lot less room than most of the houses around here then we should really look into that and keep sprawl down. The one won't be allowed to be a true gated community though, Fayetteville has an ordinance against that.

I do like the idea of condos over apartments. There's already a lot of apartments in Fayetteville, time to convert some into condos. It also gives people more options. I'm sure there are people wanting to own and they obviously can't do that with apartments. That and if we have people who are wanting places to live that take up a lot less room than most of the houses around here then we should really look into that and keep sprawl down. The one won't be allowed to be a true gated community though, Fayetteville has an ordinance against that.

The good thing about condos over apartments is obviously ownership which makes the county look better than if everyone was renting. It is actually just the first phase of eminent domain in Northwest Arkansas. Not full scale yet but they are testing the water. First they're going to take away affordable apartments and put in place mid-range condos and then they'll go after home owners. It's bound to happen here.

• 7 months later...

Yeah I think I only went into it once or twice. I don't recall ever being too impressed with it. I don't think it closed until the early 90's. There was also a Woolworth at the Square, not sure when it closed. Was Montgomery Ward the only anchor at Evelyn Hills? Was there a Sears, JC Penny, or Dillards there before the mall? Or did Fayetteville even have any of those stores before the mall?

The entire space west of Chucky Cheese (formerly Showbiz Pizza) was a decent sized IGA grocery store until at least the late 80s.

The entire space west of Chucky Cheese (formerly Showbiz Pizza) was a decent sized IGA grocery store until at least the late 80s.

Thanks for the info again. :D Here's another topic I thought about trying to revive and see if we could get some of the new people into it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I was wondering if some of you remember some detail about Dickson St of the past. When I first moved up here Dickson St certainly wasn't the greatest place to visit. I mainly just went to check out bookstore and another used-book/comic store that used to be located on Dickson. But to be honest I didn't really pay a lot of attention to Dickson because it was rather run down back then. I have a very dim recolection of an old building that was boarded up that eventually became the Ozark Brew Pub. But I was wondering what used to be at the location at the Walton Arts Center? For that matter I'd really enjoy hearing someone mention some details about the way Dickson St used to be.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while. I was wondering if some of you remember some detail about Dickson St of the past. When I first moved up here Dickson St certainly wasn't the greatest place to visit. I mainly just went to check out bookstore and another used-book/comic store that used to be located on Dickson. But to be honest I didn't really pay a lot of attention to Dickson because it was rather run down back then. I have a very dim recolection of an old building that was boarded up that eventually became the Ozark Brew Pub. But I was wondering what used to be at the location at the Walton Arts Center? For that matter I'd really enjoy hearing someone mention some details about the way Dickson St used to be.

Interesting, I don't remember that at all. But like I said I didn't really pay much attention to Dickson back then. I'm assuming these buildings were on the street and not set back the way the WAC is now. Had any of the buildings consisted of anything particularly historic? I wish I could find some pics of Dickson before the WAC moved in.

Archived