Student Housing

artesia

I'll have to go with McLane on this one! I pay $475 now... outside of the downtown, no view, I can hardly get the sun to shine in, no washer and dryer. I don't imagine anything newly built, in the Downtown could bea cheaper... especially above 10 stories. I'd say expect to pay at least $750-$800.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

Man TJ, you are hott lately w/the pix!

I've been in the Frat House in your 3rd picture of Heritage Grove too many times to count. It's beautiful on the outside, but a pig sty on the inside. What parts of it aren't trashed are as sterile looking as a prison. Some of the individual rooms are nice, but overall the interior is a real shame.

I've also recently had the pleasure of seeing all the new development you've shown off of Rivoli. IMHO that's some nice stuff going in there, replacing the old tired worn out homes. When I was there last, I kept saying to myself "this is the neighborhood the residents wanted to and succeeded in fighting to keep it single family residential or low density? Give it up folks, that ship has been sunk and buried." I know that may have been for the area on the other side of P'cola off Chapel, but the same thought applies. From Stadium to Ocala and from Tenn. to south of Jackson Bluff should just become quality student housing IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
Man TJ, you are hott lately w/the pix!

I've been in the Frat House in your 3rd picture of Heritage Grove too many times to count. It's beautiful on the outside, but a pig sty on the inside. What parts of it aren't trashed are as sterile looking as a prison. Some of the individual rooms are nice, but overall the interior is a real shame.

I've also recently had the pleasure of seeing all the new development you've shown off of Rivoli. IMHO that's some nice stuff going in there, replacing the old tired worn out homes. When I was there last, I kept saying to myself "this is the neighborhood the residents wanted to and succeeded in fighting to keep it single family residential or low density? Give it up folks, that ship has been sunk and buried." I know that may have been for the area on the other side of P'cola off Chapel, but the same thought applies. From Stadium to Ocala and from Tenn. to south of Jackson Bluff should just become quality student housing IMHO.

• 9 months later...

9/24/07

Booth Properties Leaves Students Looking for Housing

Housing solutions offered to tenants

By: Nicole Bardo-Colon

Student Housing Solutions, University Courtyard and The Pointe at Adam's Place have offered move-in specials for close to 50 Florida A&M University students, after it was announced seven apartment complexes, formerly owned by Booth Properties, would be closing.

Asset Campus Housing, a management company hired to manage the properties, while they are going through the process of foreclosure, made the decision to close the apartment buildings.

"We do not think it is conducive for students to be living in those [apartments]," said Jamie Thomas, a representative for Asset Campus Housing.

Shortly after the students were told of the news, they organized themselves, along with Student Government Association President Monique Gillum to help find the residents housing.

for more

Source: The Famuan

• 5 weeks later...
Article published Oct 31, 2007

Planning for a high-density future

By Bruce Ritchie

DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Mark Evans says it makes sense that development is occurring around the universities and Tallahassee Community College, but he doesn't like it.

His Cactus Street neighborhood borders one apartment complex, and another is being built nearby. He said students broke a fence to relieve themselves in his yard, and another apartment resident shot birds and squirrels out of trees with a .22-caliber rifle. Most students are fine, but with more apartments comes more trouble, Evans said.

"The higher the concentration (of housing) you put against a single-family neighborhood, the greater the possibility - just by numbers - something might happen," he said.

Nationwide, planners, environmentalists and health officials say higher-density development is needed to reduce traffic, air pollution, obesity and urban sprawl. They say proper design can provide affordable housing in vibrant communities with entertainment, arts and green space.

University Transition Zoning

I've been watching this issue on WCOT andI've made a few observations regarding the neighborhood association in opposition to this propsed ordinance.

The sole speaker on the issue, also a city employee, apparently lives in the Southwest Quad. He reports that during non-school periods his 3-mile commute to work takes 10 minutes and that the same commute along Pensacola Street when students return takes 45 minutes. He doubts students living in close proxmity to the school will translate to fewer cars on the road, yet he also seems opposed to them living in his neighborhood. Sounds like he's trying to have it both ways.

How are you going to complain about students living in your neighborhood, and also complain about them living near the school?!

University Transition Zoning

I've been watching this issue on WCOT andI've made a few observations regarding the neighborhood association in opposition to this propsed ordinance.

The sole speaker on the issue, also a city employee, apparently lives in the Southwest Quad. He reports that during non-school periods his 3-mile commute to work takes 10 minutes and that the same commute along Pensacola Street when students return takes 45 minutes. He doubts students living in close proxmity to the school will translate to fewer cars on the road, yet he also seems opposed to them living in his neighborhood. Sounds like he's trying to have it both ways.

How are you going to complain about students living in your neighborhood, and also complain about them living near the school?!

• 4 weeks later...

Luxury Suites on Chapel Drive

Coming August 2008

Features & Amenities:

• Flat Screen TVs in Living Room and Bedrooms

• Private Water Closet

• Luxury Furniture Package

• Stainless Steel Appliances

• Spacious Cabinets and Storage Closets

• Basic Cable & Internet Included

• Sparkling Swimming Pool

• 24-Hour Fitness Center

I'm not sure how many of you frequent Chapel Drive, but they've built one monster of a parking garage on it. I believe we've got some images of it here in this thread taken sometime earlier this year. This complex is adjacent to it. Instead of Booth's traditional 4/4 units, these are 2/2.

I run past some Six story parking garage that is almost complete which is near some Four story apartments also nearly finished. So I think I know what this is. It will be interesting to find out if downtown is visible from the top of that garage when it opens. Should provide some interesting future angles for the photographically inclined among us. :shades:

I run past some Six story parking garage that is almost complete which is near some Four story apartments also nearly finished. So I think I know what this is. It will be interesting to find out if downtown is visible from the top of that garage when it opens. Should provide some interesting future angles for the photographically inclined among us. :shades:

Booth Properties, does new construction get any worse? Booth Property, the future slums of Tally IMHO. Luxury Booth, does that mean they don't build them in the Pez colors? Isn't it Booth that left us w/that fugly eye-sore at Tenn/Monroe? I believe one day we'll look back and regret we allowed them to build so much in our city. As you can tell I not a fan of them at all and no I have or have had any personal relationship w/them at all.

Booth Properties, does new construction get any worse? Booth Property, the future slums of Tally IMHO. Luxury Booth, does that mean they don't build them in the Pez colors? Isn't it Booth that left us w/that fugly eye-sore at Tenn/Monroe? I believe one day we'll look back and regret we allowed them to build so much in our city. As you can tell I not a fan of them at all and no I have or have had any personal relationship w/them at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Stadium West Student Housing

(TPA070102) (21-34-50- B-0010, B-0020, B-0030,B-0040,B-0050,B-0060,B-0070, 21-34-51-000-1300,1310,1315,1330,1340,1350,1360,21-34-75-000-0080)

Located on 7.70 acres on the west side of Pensacola St, at the corner of Pensacola St. and Lipona Rd. The proposed project is the construction of 300 student housing multi-family units at a density of 38.96 units per acre. The property is zoned UT (University Transition).

• 4 weeks later...

University Green designed for student living

With all the changes on West Tennessee Street you may have missed the start of University Green Condominiums just across the street from the big American flag at Champion Chevrolet.

Turn in on the boulevard entry that will lead you by the recently completed club house and recreation center. You probably will see workers putting the final touches on the project's swimming pool just before you pass by the gated entry.

Nearly 40 of the planned 404 condo units are complete at this time. In fact, many are already occupied. All of the units are two story, 3-bedroom, 3-bath units with 1,236 square feet of living area. Most of the units are built by one of Tallahassee's most respected builders, Daws Roberts General Contractors.

A variety of building sizes

Archived