How do we rank?

upstate29650

Greenville, you make some important points as well. But on a technical note, I saw Spartan say somewhere that actually West Columbia is the most densely populated municipality in the state. I'm not trying to start anything, just mentioning what I read.

This also kinda goes back to what I mentioned earlier: while it is true facts are facts, sometimes such discussions only hinge on minors and a few hundred/thousand people ("first among cripples")--and we've all been guilty of getting caught up in the fray. I'm just thankful that we live in such a balanced state population-wise so that no one area really gets left out (although I know Skyliner would beg to differ under the current state administration ;)).

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread shouldn't turn into a "Well I just post in my own little enclave" type of thing--it certainly won't for me. I enjoy seeing the progress in ALL of our major cities, and will continue to applaud their efforts as well as provide constructive criticism while highlighting the positives.

As to why Columbia tends to lag as far as attracting national retailers, it's really a no-brainer: although it's the largest MSA in the state, the Upstate by far constitutes the largest CSA (which was formerly an MSA), with Greenville being the principal city in the region. Charleston's emphasis on tourism also guarantees that it gets more national retailers as well. And Myrtle Beach is, well, Myrtle Beach. At any rate, I'm more than certain that most Columbians probably travel to Charlotte for certain options not available in their own metro, since it has many stores that have no presence whatsoever in South Carolina. However, in my book, that doesn't make for a vibrant, growing city, nor should it constitute a "bottom line" when deciding the value of an area--unless you're a label whore that is. :) I don't see this as a point of insecurity in Columbia (and that would be sad if it were the case), because despite that, it has many things going for it--the smaller things will fall into place over time. Recognizing faults in an area is OK, but it shouldn't come across as rubbing it in the faces of the residents and well-wishers to justify a choice you made (which it often does); let Greenville be what it is, and let Columbia just be.

I just find it irritating that many times, Columbia, more than any other city on this forum, seems to get bashed on for no apparent reason. You'd think the place was Youngstown or Newark (no offense to any residents or natives of those cities) from some of the comments made by others. Apparently it's a great big anomaly of a city--fastest growing inland MSA, largest city in the state, highest per capita income, most educated population, etc., yet is a hellhole. I just don't get why some seem to hate on the place so much. If you don't live there, plan to live there, or aren't truly a well-wisher, why should it matter to you that it doesn't rank high on the national retailers list? Why are you so worried about crime stats? What's the big deal to you about Main Street? To me, only those who feel as though they have something to prove about their own city bring up stuff like this. You don't have to like it; if you don't, just let it be and let the Columbians and future Columbians have their low quality of life hellhole.

There, now I've gotten that off my chest.

All I will say is that lots of fingers are being pointed at the Greenville members, when I have yet to see most of the Columbia members say even one positive thing about Greenville. It goes both ways. I see that the same old bitterness is still there, for whatever reason. Too bad we don't have the maturity on this forum to understand that we ALL need to encourage growth around the state rather than finding clever (or blatant) ways to cast negativity on the cities we personally dislike. You think Columbia is the most repressed city on this forum, but I feel so much pressure on Greenville that it sometimes has become too much to let go without reply. You'll notice that most of my negative posts have been in response to what I perceive as attacks without cause on my hometown. And they typically come from the midlands region, which should not be a shock.

I do not consider any of our major cities to be "cripples," Krazeeboi. The growth in each would indicate otherwise.

I know it's a harsh term, Skyliner, but sometimes I think it's an appropriate term. We're surrounded by states that have at least one boomtown, while we have none. We have a state legislature whose members are only concerned about getting elected to another term while never actually doing the bold and gutsy things it takes to get this state off the bottom of the good lists and the top of the bad lists--while pointing fingers at the governor, who's such an easy target since he essentially doesn't have any power. Sure we're making progress, but our major cities are much more repressed than they should be, IMO, more so than many of our peer cities.

No...Evertyime something good about Columbia is said in Ranking's or whatever alot of forumers say "oh well my city is this....", or "we are more populous", or "the ranking's are skewed" unless their city is at the top or even mentioned....You don't have to say anything positive about other cities...Just don't try to bring another city down just because your city isn't on the list or in the top position of most liveable places or whatever in that nature....That's what we tend to do sometimes you guys....

I think there is something more basic going on here guys. Everybody in history (especially groups) has had a tendancy to think that, that which applies most directly to them is the most significant. This is just a human trait that we all have in common. People have a built in need to feel significant and validated. Some may argue it is a survival thing, but I beleive it is a pride thing. Naturally, wehn something that directly effects is is attacked, we often take it as a personal attack. Then of course we scramble and crawl to our own defense (or defense of those we identify with). Just like with 9/11, even though most americans don't live in NY or Wash, or have never even been there, it is taken as a personal attack on all Americans. I suspect that if someone on UP attacked our whole state, us Greenvillians, Cola's, and Charlestonians would all unite to defend it against UP attackers. :P

Everyone wants to defend their own, UP is no different. As with everything, if we will try to have some respect, and look at it from someone else's veiw, we will be a lot better off.

Just like with 9/11, even though most americans don't live in NY or Wash, or have never even been there, it is taken as a personal attack on all Americans. I suspect that if someone on UP attacked our whole state, us Greenvillians, Cola's, and Charlestonians would all unite to defend it against UP attackers. :P

In the event that the state is attacked, is there a UP-Afghanistan forum that we could use to wreak our vengeance?

This crazy debate has turned into another city versus city thread. What we can and should all agree on is that we each have a strong preference for one city, but all of the cities and regions are experiencing steady growth for multiple reasons. We can't keep letting our prejudice get in the way of actually realizing the truth we often try to ignore about the others. Greenville is the best city in South Carolina to many, just as Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Columbia, and Rock Hill are to many others. The main thing is, we can be proud that each are continually adding quality developments at a very similar rate. :shades:

No more putting down the other cities, PLEASE!

What we have here is a good ol' fashioned pissing contest. I think that everyone needs to remember that we are all entitled to our opinions, even if they are wrong. Perhaps those who feel insulted should take the role as a leader and not respond in kind. It is possible to refute what people say (or ignore it entirely) and still get your point accross without things turning into a city vs city match. Maybe they should be more vocal about what is going on in their city. All of this is based in pride. Some people have more of it than others. Besides that, we all know that Spartanburg is the greatest city in this state, so I have no idea why anyone is debating anything.

• 3 weeks later...

That's good to know. I remember reading something a while back about how prepared we are for a potential avian influenza outbreak, but I can't remember if we were sufficiently prepared or not.

Even though it's been a while since this state has had a major one, I hope earthquake preparation is included in our emergency plans.

Archived