Atlanta = a little NY, A little Miami and a little GA.

UrbanAtl

Well Temeteron - That's a really hard thing to nail down. The census does not ask your sexuality - but there is a place to mark down if you are a same-sex couple (we did it).

According to the 2000 census, DeKalb County ranks 5th nationally, and Fulton ranks 12th in the number of same sex couples. There is a census tract in Fulton where a whopping 27.3% of the total population are same-sex couples, the highest for DeKalb is a tract where the figure is 18.6%.

Given the fact that we are such a regional draw for gay folks, the size of our Pride Festival each June, the bars/gay churches/gay infrastructure, etc. - I would not be surprised at all if we are in the top 5, but it's just a very hard number to quantify. I would be shocked if we are indeed number 3 in the entire country. :shades:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the themes of Tom Wolfe's book A Man in Full was the paradoxical attraction of New York for Atlantans. Of course, when I even mentioned the book in passing to one of my cousins in Roswell, she dismissed it out of hand with "We don't like to talk about that book here." How do the people of Atlanta feel about the contradictions of modern Atlanta? I think the paradox is one of the things which makes Atlanta such an interesting place.

^ I don't think many Atlantans truly understand what Atlanta is period. It's a metro area, it's a city, it's a region - but there are numerous cultural contradictions as well.

Regarding the book - yes it is a touchy subject for some, there had been excitement at the beginning at the idea that Atlanta would be profiled so much by a well known writer. Many thinking it was a 'Bonfire of the Vanities' for Atlanta - well it was a bonfire. Still, Wolfe was a lot fairer (I admit I haven't read the book) than James H Kunstler...

Whats up people,

About my comments on gay folks -- forgive me for my borderline gay-bashing. I'm not one to tread lightly on subjects I feel strongly about, but at the same time I don't want to outright attack someone verbally, which I may have done. There are better more constructive ways of conversing with people on sensitive subjects.

Just wanted to say that for the record.

Andrea

Thanks. That's a great photo. I love our city in the trees. That picture sums up for me why I think that Atlanta is a little NY & a little Miami like. Atlanta really looks like a sophisticated & green / tropical.

I don't see a whole lot in commen either as far as climate, geography, and diversity. Both are growing areas with a rapidly changing skyline

It's hard for me to see any Miami influences in Atlanta.

As for New York, I'd say it's the other way around. Yeah, they may have a few more tall buildings, but think of all the famous Atlantans who helped shape New York into the city it is today -- James Robinson, CEO of American Express, United Nations Ambassador Andrew Young, Broadway star Lena Horne, sociologist John Rocker, etc.

the miami feel is of course the growing hispanic community in Atlanta....except for the fact that there are more Mexicans and South Americans in ATL and in Miami is mostly Cubans and Dominicans/Puerto Ricans

Somehow I don't associate Atlanta's Hispanic population with Miami. Maybe it's because I've worked in a field where I've met more Hispanics in other parts of the country (mainly Northern VA and CA). I certainly don't mean to offend Atlantans or Miamians because they are both fun places, but to me Miami is one of the cities I'd be least likely to associate with Atlanta.

I certainly don't mean to offend Atlantans or Miamians because they are both fun places, but to me Miami is one of the cities I'd be least likely to associate with Atlanta.

Agreed. I'd more likely equate Jimmy Carter Boulevard and Gwinnett Place Mall with Miami :thumbsup:

The thing is with me, I have no problem with mexican immigrants so long as they learn to speak English. My biggest pet peeve in the world is going to an ATM and it asks me English or Spanish.

Agreed. I'd more likely equate Jimmy Carter Boulevard and Gwinnett Place Mall with Miami :thumbsup:

We may be talking about different things, Lizella. I don't see much similarity between JCB/Gwinnett Place and Miami, other than the fact that they are both engulfed in seemingly endless suburban sprawl.

When I started this thread it was more in the vein of architecture and how our climate plays a role. I wasn't thinking about who lives here although that is greatly impacting.

I agree that Miami and NY have many more Spanish speakers. I was born in Chamblee so my Metro Atl perspective is sometimes off.

But Miami has way more.

well......According to www.demographia.com Atlanta's metro pop. is 5,034,362....and Miami's is 5,361,723...which isnt that big of a difference....but anyways....from what I've heard Miami's population is 70% spanish speaking, Atlanta's might be 50% that's pushing it

well......According to www.demographia.com Atlanta's metro pop. is 5,034,362....and Miami's is 5,361,723...which isnt that big of a difference....but anyways....from what I've heard Miami's population is 70% spanish speaking, Atlanta's might be 50% that's pushing it

i did not say metro population.

Archived