Atlanta = a little NY, A little Miami and a little GA.

UrbanAtl

well......According to www.demographia.com Atlanta's metro pop. is 5,034,362....and Miami's is 5,361,723...which isnt that big of a difference....but anyways....from what I've heard Miami's population is 70% spanish speaking, Atlanta's might be 50% that's pushing it

ummm I think you heard wrong. If not can you please source because 50% for Atlanta is a lot

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta doesn't "dominate" the South anymore than NYC or Chicago dominate their regions.

I would say that Atlanta is like Boston, the self-proclaimed "Hub of the Universe", not because Atlanta can come anywhere near Boston's cultural or educational strengths but because it's wayyyyy too full of itself. :thumbsup:

Atlanta doesn't "dominate" the South anymore than NYC or Chicago dominate their regions.

I would say that Atlanta is like Boston, the self-proclaimed "Hub of the Universe", not because Atlanta can come anywhere near Boston's cultural or educational strengths but because it's wayyyyy too full of itself. :thumbsup:

Don't you just Hate how Haters come all the way from other forums just to hate on your city. :rolleyes:

I think there is nothing wrong with being proud of your city and that should not be confused with arrogance. Atlanta basically has always had a very tough, determined spirit. Cntrary to popular belief, Atlanta was never a genteel southern town but actually more like a rough and tumble town of the old west. When Sherman burned the city to the ground during the civil war, it instilled in us a very tough determination to build our city again and give a big "F U" to Sherman and the whole north; which I think we did. After that we continually wanted to keep making our city bigger and better to prove to people that the south wasn't just some backwards pathetic region you wouldn't want to step foot in; which I also think we did. W continue to dream big and end up achieving a lot of the things we strive to accomplish. Atlanta will continue to face challenges but I'm confident we'll be able to work through them and continue to make Metro Atlanta a great place.

Don't mess with the ATL!!

Oh, and Philly aint so bad either!

^^Haha, Newnan, your post reminded me of the fact that Atlanta's first three mayors were members of the "Rowdy" party. I wonder why it never caught on.

If you ask me, Atlanta should continue trying to work with the idea of being the "Capital of the New South" and offer what no other town in the South can (opportunities, attractions, etc.).

We could sum up the city's history as "Civil War meets Civil Rights" and it's a delicate bridge that Atlanta somehow has managed to keep up through the years.

• 1 month later...

I don't see any type of correlation between NYC and ATL concerning lifestyle, aesthetics, cultural or social life. The harmony of the boroughs that make up NYC; I only wish ATL has that.

This is a very hard city in general. You cannot drive with a good view outside of heading downtown from northside where you can catch the skyline. The sprawl is so outrageous here that it's hard to get a scenic few in one drive.

Culturally, it is nonexistent. Very hard to find a good Southern meal in the city. I am not impressed at all with the eateries in the City. Not to say you cannot find a good meal, you can; but not a lot of good mom and pop places that make you appreciate Atlanta.

Socially there is a night life but I would not say it could compete with NY or MIA. Oddly, I have found it easier to get good info or strike up a convo with a NYer than certain parts of the city.

Now, for what it is worth. Atlanta is it's own city. Maybe only comparable at best to a Houston. Jobs have driven this city upward but it will be nice when the quality of life matches the tout of ATL.

Archived