Predictions for next skyscraper

doormanpoet

I am a skyscraper purist, so my main built environment hobby interest is skyscrapers. My dads side of the family built them in Manhattan, NYC.

I say in jest you can have your Icon, Adelicia, Suntrust Plaza, Encore, The West End, Terazzo etc..!

I want nothing short of 30 stories and 400 feet. Viridian comes short on the height at 378 feet, but I'll take it. My friend William is a urban infill guy, but he knows I like them tall so here we go.

My prediction for the rest of the decade ending December 31st, 2010.

1) There will be a 40 to 70 story hotel added by that time and possibly sooner if the new convention center passes after Purcell leaves office. This will be at the corners of 8th and Commerce, or 7th and Commerce.

2) There will be another 50 to 60 story condo tower besides Signature Tower on a lot on Commerce, Church Street, and Charlotte Avenue (if the residential restriction ordinance is overturned for that area)

3) There will be a 30-50 story office tower on the north side of the CBD near Parkway Towers.

4) If the deal goes through, the new owners of the Renaissance will build another 31 story tower by 2008 Replacing the James Robertson Apartments.

5) Novare will buy the lot from Richard Fletcher and a condo Tower will affectionately be called Nashville City Center Residences at 6th and Union.

6) The Central Parking Lot next to Hooters will have a 50 to 60 story condo tower called The River View.

7) One or several of these predictions will have a height taller than Signature. In that event, Signature will not be the Signature Tower for long. They may change the name to Church Street Place, or something very "Atlanta" like that.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. That's a lot. I was thinking more along the line of two 40-50 story condo towers, one 50-60 story hotel/condo tower, and maybe a 30 story office tower at most. But I'll take your ideas! Except for the Renaissance Hotel at the JRA Apartments site. I dont' want that to go. Why can't they build it behind Hume Fogg? That seems like the logical choice, does it not?

I'm still thinking there's the possibility of a tall condo on Union Street at 5th, where Satsuma and the Sports Page are. Several restaurants have closed and the managers of another have been overheard saying they might be next as the building owners want to build condos.

I can't see any of these buildings being renovated. I would think a completely new building would be in order

Fall05005.jpg

I think the 2nd Ave site would be a great place for a slender tower much like the Millenium Hilton in NYC. It really wouldn't be as out of place as most people believe. Seriously, take a look at this design - it's modern, sleek but not too flashy and in your face.

http://www.infowars.com/print/ps/alex_NY_trip_millenium.htm

Hey DP, is this your ear to the ground or tongue in cheek? Don't think I like the Union Street and 2nd Avenue ideas, but the rest sound good.

I still think Nashville's best bets for hi-rise is in the gulch... and across the river from Rolling Mill Hill (if that property were ever available).

Since you first mentioned the JRA changing hands, I started wondering if it could be incorporated into the Renaissance complex. Has that been mentioned?

Wow, Poet! I'm a skyscraper lover at heart too, but this list if possibilities blows my mind. I know you have an ear on what's really happening behind the scenes, so I put at least a little faith in your list. I wonder how you would handicap the odds of each of these really coming to fruition. If I may be so bold, based on what little knowledge I have, here's my attempt at handicapping your list. I'm adding the Signature Tower as well since it's not a done deal quite yet:

1) Signature Tower - As most recently designed: Probability 99%. I think it's practically a lock. It will be announced right at 850 Ft + or - a few.

1a) The Sig Tower is announced at even higher than most recently designed because of exceptionally high pre-sales. There's a buzz about town about living there and I think it will sell fast. Tony G. may think he needs more than the 500 units in the latest design. Why not go up even higher and add, say another 100 units on about 10 more floors. Final stats: 65 Floors - 960 Ft. Probability: 10%.

2) There will be a 40 to 70 story hotel added by that time and possibly sooner if the new convention center passes after Purcell leaves office. This will be at the corners of 8th and Commerce, or 7th and Commerce.

Probability: 25% for 40 to 70 floors. 80% for another hotel at least 10 floors.

3) There will be another 50 to 60 story condo tower besides Signature Tower on a lot on Commerce, Church Street, and Charlotte Avenue (if the residential restriction ordinance is overturned for that area). Probability: 5% for 50 to 60 floors, but boy I hope it's lot better than that. 50% for something over 10 floors.

4) There will be a 30-50 story office tower on the north side of the CBD near Parkway Towers. Probability almost 0% for 30 to 50 floors. I just can't see it happening myself, but hope I'm way too pessimistic. Over 10 floors Probability 20%.

5) If the deal goes through, the new owners of the Renaissance will build another 31 story tower by 2008 Replacing the James Robertson Apartments. Probability 80%. Could be slightly lower, but also could be slightly higher.

6) Novare will buy the lot from Richard Fletcher and a condo Tower will affectionately be called Nashville City Center Residences at 6th and Union. Personally I'm still hoping for NCC II and, maybe that could substitute for the north side office tower in No. 4. The Novare Condo Tower as described: Probability 10%. Another Novare designed Condo tower downtown at least 30 stories: Probability 50%. Another Novare designed Condo tower downtown over 20 stories: Probability 90%

7) The Central Parking Lot next to Hooters will have a 50 to 60 story condo tower called The River View. I think this one a stretch, too. Some people think the Encore is out of character next to the Schermerhorn and shouldn't be built so high. Wait until a project such as a 50 to 60 story condo tower on 2nd Avenue is announced. There would be a huge outcry, although, being a skyscraper purist and lover at heart, no protest would be coming from me. Probability for 50 to 60 floors near 0%. Probability of over 10 stories about 50%. Probability of a midrise 90%.

8) One or several of these predictions will have a height taller than Signature. In that event, Signature will not be the Signature Tower for long. They may change the name to Church Street Place, or something very "Atlanta" like that. Probability of one of these structures being higher than the Sig Tower about 5%.

Again I hope I'm overly pessimistic and that the poet is clairvoyant. Imagine Nashville with the Sig and one or two others even taller. Nashville would then truly be one of America's true skyscraper cities, and that would probably set the stage for many other wonderful skyscrapers to be built later.

These are fantasy predictions! No truth in them! But this is what I do know:

Peabody, Ritz, and Westin are looking at Nashville.

The possible new owners of the Renaissance do want a second tower.

The James Robertson Apartments have been looked at by the possible new owners of our hotel.

The residential retsrictions may be lifted on the north side of the city because the new MTA terminal includes apartments on top.

The 511 group which owns the NCC1 is eventually going to have to do something with that empty lot.

In a lot of cities when one Signature Tower is built, another one comes closely behind.

With Nashville getting the number 1 relocation status again, there will be a need for more office space. Maryland Farms and Cool Springs are close to being built out.

Again, this is a fantasy prediction list!

Have fun with it! :D

Just a passing notion... it seemed that with the last of the big financial companies based in Nashville now gone, any possibility of getting an anchor for a new large downtown tower was all but dead. While it still is remote at this juncture, there are several home-grown financial companies that are growing furiously like Healthspring (growing at 50%-60% per year)... and Direct General... and Asurion (it's really a financial firm) ... and Avondale to name a few. (I don't know much about Healthways, but that's another fast growing company). I liken Avondale to Stephens in Little Rock albeit much younger and smaller. Stephens has been the greatest spur to LR's DT revival. Maybe something similar can happen in Nashville. It doesn't hurt to dream.

Edited to add:

Not to mention the large F500's that have a large presence or division based there such as Primus, CAT Financial (they have a new building on WE), Bankers Trust, CNA, Deloitte and Touche, Amsouth ... and several others that I can't remember. What's the one that just announced a new lease in the Highland Ridge complex near the airport? Anyway, this is only the few that I know of.

My thoughts exactly. Fellas, reveal your sources NOW!!!!! LOL!!

I work there.

OK, my secret's out! :shades:

But sorry. Security is tight and no visitors are allowed after working hours. I wasn't even allowed to take my daughter up one Saturday.

I don't even have a window. I did sit on the East side for years and looked at the (now) Bank of America Bldg all day long. Boring! There's a good view to the West, but the afternoon sun is unbearable, so most people leave the blinds down.

This city needs a good observation tower. I miss the old L&C Tower observation deck. I suppose the only accesible view might be from the exterior, glass enclosed elevators at the Renaissance Hotel (if they are indeed accesible).

I've seen the views, over the years, from the Bell South, L&C, Snodgrass and the Nashville City Center, but one of my favorites was just after the Bank of America (Commerce Union at the Time) had just opened. I and a couple of just as bold friends, took an elevator to the top (21st) floor which was unfinished. I went to the north corner of the building, where the windows come together at a 45 degree angle. The windows went from the floor to the ceiling, so when you put your feet in the tight corner a looked down, you could not see the floor and had the sensation of standing on air, 21 stories above the ground. Strange feeling!

Archived