Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RoanokeFound

What happened here?

So here it is, the first in a series of "What happened here?"

I'll show you something (or you can show something) and give a few clues about it. And lets see what we can see. And it will always be somewhere in Roanoke.

First up: 94382974_f4c508d0ee.jpg

Back in the day, when reporters wore hats and used paper and pens to capture the news, one editor took a spill after a days hard work and a nights hard carousing.

The story is easy to find, especially if you know the location.

So where is this?

Round #2: There are two of me downtown. One is pictured here - but where is here? The other is hidden in plain sight, in a place where your nose usually points up - not down to see it. Where is this one, and where is its twin?

94811152_7b49670044.jpg

Oh yes, the Crystal Tower Building IS the PDL - version 2.0. V1 burned in 1931. That was the one with the porches on the rear of the building. The one you most often see in postcards.

Until further notice, they will all be in downtown. Should you folks prove hard to stump, then I might move out slightly - but I'll always tell you where generally.

just ask if you need more clues.

Well, the one in the photo is on stairs. The twin is on a sidewalk, but usually your busy looking around for food, and not staring at your feet as you walk. Unlike me.. I stare at my feet and follow my nose to some of the best chinese in town.

If it helps (which it probably won't) it's across from the old A&P

Then you my friend are in the enviable position of a young person in an old community. The good thing about that is your generation is going to need leaders to avoid situations like Victory Stadium and such. Keep informed and you may be that person.

Downside? Having to keep off the old folks lawns.

still no answers? need another clue?

Two things are certain in life - death and taxes, and at both locations - you can count on both those things. One if things are done wrong, and the other if they are done right.

Better- cross streets

Market and Salem for the unpictured twin

Campbell and Commerce (do the research) for the one in the photo.

Judging by your pics - you were right there today when you took the photo of the PDL.

well im going to do some research then.

Yeah i was out all today, got caught downtown while it was raining, lighting. guess what? i saw a lighting bolt hit the Wachovia Tower. I have some pictures of today in the Roanoke pictures thread, so check it out.