Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

fortNorfrendering.jpg

A local doctor is partnering with the city on a $70 million project along the Elizabeth River that will give the city its first new medical tower in decades.

The building, which resembles the shape of a ship and is to be known as Ghent South Towers, will stand on Riverview Avenue across from Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in the Fort Norfolk area

It will include two towers rising from a multi level parking deck. One tower will house a high-tech medical complex and the other will feature waterfront condominiums and possibly an extended-stay hotel......Full Story

Also notable from the same story but kinda off-topic, they way it's worded, it looks like the Hilton may be 30-stories. :yahoo:

City officials recently announced that black billionaire Robert L. Johnson, who founded Black Entertainment Television, will partner with local developer William Fuller to develop a $100 million project that will include a 250-room, 25-story Hilton Hotel, a conference center and a parking deck that will be financed in part by the city. The hotel will be topped by five stories of luxury condominiums.

It's really hard to tell but it looks like we're looking at 25-stories on the low end of things, probably 30 on the high end. Also, I think the CIA should employ Norfolk City Council because they are damn good at keeping a secret. :lol: Look at when they're planning to break ground. :shok:Newby plans to start building by late summer or early fall, and he

My reaction..Holly $H1T!! :shok: So *thats* what they've been keeping on the back burner for so long. I wonder if the Mayor will release any new details about the Downtown Hilton at the news conference. :thumbsup:

Boy, to think all of us here in Williamsburg got excited over our new cinema opening. Man thats just humbling..go Norfolk. :yahoo:

My reaction..Holly $H1T!! So *thats* what they've been keeping on the back burner for so long. I wonder if the Mayor will release any new details about the Downtown Hilton at the news conference. :thumbsup:

Boy, to think all of us here in Williamsburg got excited over our new cinema opening. Man thats just humbling..go Norfolk. :yahoo:

And yet they keep dropping little tidbits like this:

“There is a lot of discussion about the Fort Norfolk area, and Mr. McCleskey has been visited by a number of national developers and respected local developers,” DuVal said. “There are a number of different plans under consideration for mixed-use development."

and it makes me think we haven't seen the half of it!. I was gonna put this in the ghent development thread but it's just too damn big for that. :D I think they're finally starting to pull out some of that significantly taller stuff they had tucked away in their hat. And this thing practically sits on top of the midtown, can you imagine the skyline view coming in from P-Town now? :yahoo:

It's a very unique structure that visitors will learn to associate with Norfolk. It's greats. :thumbsup: Damnit, why is nobody up yet? Sleep is for the weak people. :lol: I can understand everyone else but Okinawa has no excuse, he's in Japan. :P

It's a very unique structure that visitors will learn to associate with Norfolk. It's greats. :thumbsup: Damnit, why is nobody up yet? Sleep is for the weak people. :lol: I can understand everyone else but Okinawa has no excuse, he's in Japan. :P

OMG. I REALLY WANT TO YELL A BUNCH OF CURSE WORDS OF JOY RIGHT NOW. :yahoo:

This is truly amazing. This will really extend Norfolk's skyline and create a world class city. I am stunned.

WOW, a 25 story tower is going to be an amazing site coming out of the midtown tunnel and Hampton Blvd. We are only a month into this year and we have already had a major announcement like this. I can't wait for the next 11 to see what Norfolk has been hiding from us since last year. ;) I sure hope Fraim has some more tricks up his sleeve for his speech today.

Sleep is for the weak people.
I'm sorry, I am weak. Admitting there is a problem is the first step to recovery. :D

Ok, i'm counting 25 on the bigger rendering, 26-27 if you include the top portion of that tube structure with the spire. The height is probably still in flux since they didn't mention one. At least there is a rendering. :) It's hard to count but I put the shorter tower at 18.

Thanks vdogg, so Clark Nexsen are the architects on this one.

From the article:

Newby said he first approached the city in April 2004 and has been meeting with planning and economic development staff since then.

When dealing with Norfolk we think that you know everything, but as time goes on you realize we know nothing. For the life of me I don't see how these people keep such a tight lip on all these developments.

For the life of me I don't see how these people keep such a tight lip on all these developments.

Me either, I mean the media can dig up anything from military secrets to political scandals but we can't find this stuff out? What gives? :unsure:

Yeah, it's good we snagged a different architect for this one. Our skyline diversity is going to be awesome. I'm really starting to get a feel for how the Fort Norfolk skyline will play out.

From the article:

When dealing with Norfolk we think that you know everything, but as time goes on you realize we know nothing. For the life of me I don't see how these people keep such a tight lip on all these developments.

This is the same company that did the VASCIC building in Downtown Newport news, this development should be top notch.

Why Ghent South though? The structure would be in Fort Norfolk. Does Ghent's name really need to be attached to this?

I agree in that the name should reflect Fort Norfolk in some way.

I would guess the reason for the south Ghent name would be because he wants to link it with the rest of the medical complex which is generally considered to be located in Ghent, not Fort Norfolk.

This is excellent news for Norfolk and the whole region. The tower on the right seems a bit blah, but the one on the left has enough visual interest to carry the project. Having an extended-stay hotel near the hospital makes sense too. Perhaps this will mean that we can expect real news about the Hilton project.

This is excellent news for Norfolk and the whole region. The tower on the right seems a bit blah, but the one on the left has enough visual interest to carry the project. Having an extended-stay hotel near the hospital makes sense too. Perhaps this will mean that we can expect real news about the Hilton project.

The city has been pushing for an extended stay hotel at the medical center, so I think that they will do everything they possibly can to help this man attract the hotel. Not to mention that hotels are starting to sprout up everywhere.

OMG is right!!!!!!!!!!

I opend the paper today and just about freaked out! This is gonna be an awesome development for "South Ghent" or, what I like to call it, "Mid-town or the "West-Side".

No kidding about the secretive Norfolk Gov. They are better than the CIA. Those dudes are good.

I couldn't believe my eyes! I think this is why they picked the path they did for the light rail. There maybe more in the making!

fortNorfrendering.jpg

A local doctor is partnering with the city on a $70 million project along the Elizabeth River that will give the city its first new medical tower in decades.

The building, which resembles the shape of a ship and is to be known as Ghent South Towers, will stand on Riverview Avenue across from Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in the Fort Norfolk area

It will include two towers rising from a multi level parking deck. One tower will house a high-tech medical complex and the other will feature waterfront condominiums and possibly an extended-stay hotel......Full Story

Also notable from the same story but kinda off-topic, they way it's worded, it looks like the Hilton may be 30-stories. :yahoo:

City officials recently announced that black billionaire Robert L. Johnson, who founded Black Entertainment Television, will partner with local developer William Fuller to develop a $100 million project that will include a 250-room, 25-story Hilton Hotel, a conference center and a parking deck that will be financed in part by the city. The hotel will be topped by five stories of luxury condominiums.

From the way they word it, it looks like the top five of the 25 will be the condos and the hotel will be 20 stories. I hope that I'm wrong though.

I couldn't believe my eyes! I think this is why they picked the path they did for the light rail. There maybe more in the making!

You know Russ, I almost said the same thing this morning. This really seems to be kinda like that transit oriented development they were alluding (sp?) to earlier. Brambleton is turning into quite the corridor. The Kotarides tower, Church street Tower, Harbors Edge , Granby Tower, and Ghent south towers will all be under construction (or in the case of HE finishing construction) by the end of the year. Counting ghent as 2 that's 6 towers on Brambleton alone. That's just amazing. :shok:

Archived