Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

Looks like Mr. Newby has made it past design review. This project goes before the planning commission March 22nd.

5. DR. KEITH NEWBY, for a special exception to operate a hotel on property located on the northwest corner of Southampton Boulevard and Riverview Avenue ; property extends 514 feet, more or less, along the western line of Riverview Avenue and then continues northwardly 287 feet, more or less, along the western line of Brambleton Avenue .

• 3 weeks later...

Fort Norfolk Plaza was approved at the March 22nd planning commission meeting.

DR. KEITH NEWBY, for a special exception to operate a hotel on property located on the northwest corner of Southampton Boulevard and Riverview Avenue ; property extends 514 feet, more or less, along the western line of Riverview Avenue and then continues northwardly 287 feet, more or less, along the western line of Brambleton Avenue . APPROVED

Most likely, it will not stand out in any significant way from the existing medical buildings it will join. Based on the most current renderings we have, it won't be much (if any) higher than the others - and certainly not any more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Developer selects team

Medical space is expensive.

But Dr. Keith Newby, the cardiologist who is developing an office tower, a hotel and shops at Fort Norfolk on the banks of the Elizabeth River, said he believes his rents will be competitive.

He is offering space in his 150,000-square-foot office tower for $27 per square foot, full service, with a lease of at least five years, and build-out costs of $30 per square foot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hotel Chain signs on to Fort Norfolk Plaza

Summerfield Suites, an extended-stay chain owned by Hyatt Corp., has agreed to build a hotel as part of the proposed complex that includes a medical office tower, parking garage and retail stores.

The retail space on the ground floor of the offices will house a club called Midtown, said Keith H. Newby Sr., who is developing Fort Norfolk Plaza.

He expects to break ground in July and to open the complex in 2009. Earlier, he said only that he was in discussions for a hotel and jazz club as part of the complex.

i have one question for Norfolk residents on this forum are any of you concerned about all of the subsidies the city is expending on these various projects. I read in the article that the city is chipping in 13 million dollars for this project. Add that to the 22 million for Granby Tower and astounding 76 million for the Hilton and God knows what other projects and you are talking about alot of taxpayer money going to Developers. Lets hope each and everyone of these projects are successful and they do not end up costing the taxpayers any money.

One caveat my wonderful city decided to spend 611 million dollars on a baseball stadium alone so the money DC is providing developers for one project makes Norfolk's expeditures look like chump change.

i have one question for Norfolk residents on this forum are any of you concerned about all of the subsidies the city is expending on these various projects. I read in the article that the city is chipping in 13 million dollars for this project. Add that to the 22 million for Granby Tower and astounding 76 million for the Hilton and God knows what other projects and you are talking about alot of taxpayer money going to Developers. Lets hope each and everyone of these projects are successful and they do not end up costing the taxpayers any money.

One caveat my wonderful city decided to spend 611 million dollars on a baseball stadium alone so the money DC is providing developers for one project makes Norfolk's expeditures look like chump change.

Every single one of them actually. I do not believe that we should have subsidized the Hilton or this project at all. I'm sick to my stomach that we had to do it for Granby Tower but in the end I think we're better off with the tower than without. Contrast this with Wachovia Center that is being built without subsidy (with the exception of land donation, which I have no problem with for any project) and we can see that it is possible. I honestly believe though that this is the last major round of susidies from this city to developers. You can tell from some of the last comments they made that they're starting to lose their stomach for it.

Every single one of them actually. I do not believe that we should have subsidized the Hilton or this project at all. I'm sick to my stomach that we had to do it for Granby Tower but in the end I think we're better off with the tower than without. Contrast this with Wachovia Center that is being built without subsidy (with the exception of land donation, which I have no problem with for any project) and we can see that it is possible. I honestly believe though that this is the last major round of susidies from this city to developers. You can tell from some of the last comments they made that they're starting to lose their stomach for it.

I beleive but I could be wrong that the city said that McArthur mall would be the last major subsidy the city would provide to a developer. I seem to remember Mayor Fraim saying that the city cannot afford to continue subsidizing projects forever and sooner or later these projects are going to have to be developed on thier own. It seems to me that the city was able to afford alot more subsidies then Mayor Fraim alluded to in in the 1990s. At what point do you think Norfolk should pull the plug on subsidies?

I beleive but I could be wrong that the city said that McArthur mall would be the last major subsidy the city would provide to a developer. I seem to remember Mayor Fraim saying that the city cannot afford to continue subsidizing projects forever and sooner or later these projects are going to have to be developed on thier own. It seems to me that the city was able to afford alot more subsidies then Mayor Fraim alluded to in in the 1990s. At what point do you think Norfolk should pull the plug on subsidies?

I think they should've pulled the plug a long time ago, but as long as these developments keep being as successful as the aforementioned Macmall there really isn't going to be any motivation to do so. That said, I honestly get the feeling from the many of the comments made from the majority of the council members that we're about to see a significant draw down of the amount of subsidies given. It will never go away completely but I do actually believe we'll start to see that trend. Downtown has enough momentum going now that it can stand on its own in many respects.

I live in Norfolk and honestly yeah these subsidies are a touchy area to me.

In regard to the Hilton, I'm genuiely not happy about that whatsoever. I'm happy we're getting the building but honestly I don't think we should be giving billionaires money. Norfolk was originally only supposed to build and pay for the parking garage and improvements to the surrounding area and I was okay with that but now that we also are paying for the construction of the convention center that we won't own or operate plus throw in another $7million just to get it finally built is a bit upsetting.

Fort Norfolk Plaza is a mixed bag. In my opinion it is very much needed for the healthcare business and to help Harbor's Edge in the revitalization of the entire Fort Norfolk/Atlantic City area. But with the building design going from great to bad to worse makes me unsupportive of a multi-million subsidy as well as the fact that the building has lost some components such as the condos and the clearly revised design that SHOULD have made it cheaper (and likely easier) to build.

Granby Tower is a whole different story. I'm supportive of it simply because I don't see anything that the city is losing. Yes we are taking a loan to help build it BUT the city won't be using my tax money but strictly tax money generated by the tower itself to repay the loan. In a nutshell, I don't mind helping people get their home built knowing that they have to pay me anyway when they live there. Not to mention the inevitable economic impact that the tower will have in the surrounding area and north of Brambleton Ave.

I'm happy that we are getting these buildings and towers but regarding Hilton and Fort Norfolk Plaza, that doesn't mean that I'm happy at what we're handing out to their respective developers.

Well I look at this way, the city is a business and in the long run the city makes money then i don't have a problem. If the the city looses money then its a big problem. The only problem I have with any of them is the Hilton project. Its sounds like Johnson really got over on the city.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived