Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

The retirement high rise is by the diabetes center. This is the sliver of land right next to Krispy Kreme

right, so if your looking at the diabetes institutle from brambleton, the Krisp paks places is in the back and slightly to the right of the diabetes institute. this is to be to the right of krisp pak and diabetes near the curve?

right, so if your looking at the diabetes institutle from brambleton, the Krisp paks places is in the back and slightly to the right of the diabetes institute. this is to be to the right of krisp pak and diabetes near the curve?

Yes right on the water on that land they decide to make a bike and jog trail that leads to the redgate neighborhood

Yes right on the water on that land they decide to make a bike and jog trail that leads to the redgate neighborhood

Wow, I didn't know they were putting it there.

I see them outline that area the other day, I thought they were doing public works crap. I'm a little more excited about it now as I thought it was going to be on the other side. I always thought that trail was weird over there...

That's exactly right. It used to be a park and ride lot. Even at 13 stories it'll definitely make a statement since it sits right on top of the tunnel. It'll really help that area feel a little more dense.

Could someone put up a map showing the exact location in detail? I always thought this would be set back off of Brambleton in the distance. Will it be on Brambleton is what I'm asking.

Here's a link to the Fort Norfolk Plaza website that shows the location and the shape of the site fairly well.

https://www.fortnorfolkplaza.com/FNP_Images..._Photos_700.png

I don't have a map. The closest thing I found was the original rendering, which shows brambleton off to the left. The building design has change but it is still situated on the property in the exact same manner as the building in the older rendering. It appears that this project is indeed very close to brambleton.

Pc0010800.jpg

ok, I was originally thought it was closer to PETA near habour's Edge (I think that is what it is called). Well in light of that, what a weird place for a jazz club! Nothing to support it, you can't accidentally end up in a spot like that.....The rest of it makes total sense, even would do well to have a bridge (with flat escalators like the airport) that leads to the other side of brambleton. That idea may need some tweaking..........

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing, I didn't know that was fort Norfolk. I thought it was the ugly off white building down by the hague aside the condos and peta! We also need to get away from the word "plaza", at least in this area. It sounds so 60's when it rolls off you lips.

This is from www.insidebiz.com -- you have to register on the site to see the article (it's free)

Fort Norfolk Plaza medical office project stalled

PHILIP NEWSWANGER

Financing for Fort Norfolk Plaza, the brainchild of Norfolk cardiologist Dr. Keith Newby, is stalled.

An investor with $24 million in new market tax credits has withdrawn from Newby's $90 million project, according to Rod Woolard, Norfolk's economic development director.

Wow! Man this thing might not get built now. I wonder why the other person(s) pulled out.

Same here. The office space is 70% pre-leased, I cannot fathom why an investor would pull out of a substantially solid project. If people are pulling out of projects with that much space leased, it makes me worry about otherwise "solid" projects downtown. I can't really say i'm sad about this, I never really did like this building. It would've been nice to see something get accomplished downtown though.

With the recession looming, I doubt any major projects will go forward. We are headed for some bad times with the economy and I fear it could be catastrophic. My reasoning is that you never see Republicans and Democrats work together this well. I have a feeling they know something they aren't telling us. I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop, and then watch out! This is the nail in the coffin for Fort Norfolk, Granby Tower, 201, or any of the projects at TC and even the convention center hotel. We may have nothing to talk about for the next few years until the economy rights its' self. I sure hope I'm wrong. :ermm:

Oops! Didn't know you could only post clippings....I've seen PDFs of articles here...is that appropriate instead?

No big deal. Most people aren't aware of the policy until they actually post a full article and we edit it. If you upload a .pdf to your account via attachment then yes that is ok. You just can't post a full article (i.e copy and paste the entire article) to the site. You can however post a link and take a small snippet or quote from that article showing what it's about or highlighting an important point. I've quoted the article posting policy below that's located in the rules section of the site.

**Posting of news clippings, news links and other copyrighted material**

The act of simply cutting an article (or part of an article) from an newspaper or other news source and pasting it here without comment is not appreciated and is not allowed at UrbanPlanet. These will be deleted and you may be suspended or banned for doing so.

You may post a very short clip from the article if the source allows it. NO MORE THAN A COUPLE OF SENTENCES. Do not post any copyrighted material if the source does not allow it. Do not create a post that simply contains a link. You must post commentary on why this link is relevant to the topic it is posted in. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Posts where the first part of the article is copied and a link to the rest of the article are not allowed.

With the recession looming, I doubt any major projects will go forward. We are headed for some bad times with the economy and I fear it could be catastrophic. My reasoning is that you never see Republicans and Democrats work together this well. I have a feeling they know something they aren't telling us. I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop, and then watch out! This is the nail in the coffin for Fort Norfolk, Granby Tower, 201, or any of the projects at TC and even the convention center hotel. We may have nothing to talk about for the next few years until the economy rights its' self. I sure hope I'm wrong. :ermm:

Haha, don't roll in the storm clouds just yet. It won't be that calamitous. Stuff that is financed in house, such as the stuff at TC and Wachovia Center will move forward. Stuff that is going the more traditional route in financing, maybe not. I don't think it will be years on end for this area though. ODU released a report recently that stated our economy will be largely unaffected, though the growth rate will be slowed somewhat. Even at that, most economists are predicting that the national recession will last 6 months to a year at the most.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you're wrong. :shades:

• 1 month later...

Archived