Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

The original rendering was almost comparable to a giant ship. Now its just a small model of Harbors Edge with an obscene waterfront parking structure. Still, it brings more density and people to the area and may spur additional development in the Chelsea area...

If I owned any land in that area I would build some modestly priced apartments...

When was it ever awesome? Remember this blog calling it a penitentiary? Actually, the exterior has gone from what I thought was mostly concrete (with some glass) to mostly brick. This will make it look more like Harbor's Edge, which in my opinion is an attractive building. Sure, it would be nice to have something more impressive, but you have to remember cost is a factor. As is immediate need.

As for better use of the land, I think if we waited for something else to go here, we'd be waiting several years. This project was slated for a medical building all along. That's what pushed it forward. Count me in on the "rather have that than a hole" camp.

What I find amusing are the comments on pilotonline. More comments about this than anything else. Why? Because it gives the goold ole boys who figured out how to post a chance to vent about City Council. What's the saying? Small minds talk about people. Big minds talk about ideas.

The original rendering was almost comparable to a giant ship. . . . If I owned any land in that area I would build some modestly priced apartments...

The original building, yes. But that was scrapped long ago. The more recent one we thought was going to be built there was not much better than this, if at all. The garage was a major part of that design too.

Sure, I'd like to see some cool apartments or condos. But as I said above, if we waited for anything else on this property we'd likely be waiting years. Hell, Granby tower would be built first!

Well then, how about.....nothing? Why let the waterfront be ruined with a hideous clump of parking an a few offices? many will attempt to push crummy projects through during an economic downturn. The city must be vigilant against allowing this. The design of this glorified garage is atrocious. Why not let the land lie fallow until such time that a better project can be agreed upon? I realize that this isn't going to be a landmark building by any standard, but it could serve as a contributing building to the area. The present proposal is more of an affront to the city and to the Elizabeth River.

Well then, how about.....nothing? Why let the waterfront be ruined with a hideous clump of parking an a few offices? many will attempt to push crummy projects through during an economic downturn. The city must be vigilant against allowing this. The design of this glorified garage is atrocious. Why not let the land lie fallow until such time that a better project can be agreed upon? I realize that this isn't going to be a landmark building by any standard, but it could serve as a contributing building to the area. The present proposal is more of an affront to the city and to the Elizabeth River.

I would normally agree with that sentiment. However, in this case the only view your blocking is of the discussting 1970's tunnel. This is probably actually the best type of screen wall we could put up to block that view.

This thing is only a replacement for the Medical Tower across the street, which will be demolished to make way for future hospital expansion. The architecture is horrible, but understates the wealth of many medical professionals, which may be an unstated goal of the design. The jazz club is just whimsy. There's no money to be made in jazz, especially real jazz, but let's see how it works out. The damn thing looks like it was designed by a ten year old. I am ashamed of it.

The man has property rights people! As long as his building fits the zoning ordinance and building code, there is not much the city can do to deny the development unless they want to buy his property outright. The building IS better than a hole in the ground and I'm sure the gentleman who owns the property could have decided to put something alot worse on there if he wanted to.

The man has property rights people! As long as his building fits the zoning ordinance and building code, there is not much the city can do to deny the development unless they want to buy his property outright. The building IS better than a hole in the ground and I'm sure the gentleman who owns the property could have decided to put something alot worse on there if he wanted to.

Actually, he does not own the property. This is state property that has been titled over to the city so long as the property is used to build this particular project. If the project falls through, the land reverts back to state ownership, and any other developer would have to go through the same process as Dr. Newby did to obtain the land.

The above could be said for many future projects but its not any reason to jump for joy just because someone is developing "something" which "is better than a hole in the ground." I think many residents have gotten to the point where they expect better design, and shouldn't we all demand something better? Who isn't tired of seeing the same office and condo building sprout up all over town? The city needs ambitious, innovative architecture - it makes cities young and compelling! The perfect example of life imitating art, the life of the streets creates the soul of the city.

• 4 weeks later...

Web site

Ok, go at it guys.

That's outdated. The project stalled out in January and since has been reduced to nine floors with the hotel portion dropped completely from the plans. Nows it's medical offices, parking, and a jazz club...that is unless some miraculous twist of fate brought it all back.

That's outdated. The project stalled out in January and since has been reduced to nine floors with the hotel portion dropped completely from the plans. Nows it's medical offices, parking, and a jazz club...that is unless some miraculous twist of fate brought it all back.

Yep, website has been out for over a year now. The actual project is even more underwhelming than anything presented on that site.

• 4 weeks later...
Fort norfolk, Get its funding. Project will start early summer.
I was by there today and noticed that the chain link mesh is off the construction fencing. Poles are still up. I don't think they are going to make the "early summer" construction start date.

• 2 months later...

After months at idle "Craptastic Plaza" has bee approved...again. I got excited at the rendering, then I realized IT'S THE WRONG ONE! It's still at the reduced price of 9.99...I mean it's at 9 floors :)

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/09/norfolk-ap...-medical-center

I just do not understand the jazz club next to a medical tower in that part of town. I can think of 5 or 6 places in DT that a jazz club could fit just fine, why not give some free money for that if they really would like a true jazz club in Norfolk. I guess because I work in that part of town, I'm thinking that everyone that's in the area is medical, work for medical, or a patient. Can't see a stream of jazz lovers floating amongst the med world...?????

Well I guess they will muck up the other water front property near harbor park next..... :o

I just do not understand the jazz club next to a medical tower in that part of town. I can think of 5 or 6 places in DT that a jazz club could fit just fine, why not give some free money for that if they really would like a true jazz club in Norfolk. I guess because I work in that part of town, I'm thinking that everyone that's in the area is medical, work for medical, or a patient. Can't see a stream of jazz lovers floating amongst the med world...?????

Well I guess they will muck up the other water front property near harbor park next..... :o

You have a 15 story retirement home right there with another planned for the future. It does kind of make sense

I second that! We need more architects/real estate professsionals turned developer...not doctor turned developer because this is what you get.

You mean a real estate professional turned developer, like Buddy Gaddams? :P

Look, this wouldn't have happened without Keith Newby being the developer. This was a drug deal between Newby and Sentara -- they wanted the patients out of his cardiology practice (for caths, hearts, etc.) and he needed tenents. Since they have gone around town buying up as many practices as they can, they now "own" most of the potential doctors to populate the building.

Second, the fact that Newby is black, made it easier to appeal to the pimps like Paul Riddick -- especially in the downfall of Robert Johnson's participation in the convention center hotel -- and get the subsidies from the city, including the enterprise zone bond money. But then, that calls to mind, why a cardiologist like Newby, typically making over $700,000/year, needs taxpayer subsidies, especially now they they have canned the hotel that potentially was the employer of enterprise zone residents -- and the raison d' etre for the program to begin with -- provide employment. :dunno:

You have a 15 story retirement home right there with another planned for the future. It does kind of make sense

I thought it was assisted living and if that's the case, I do not see them frequenting at 11 1030 at night. When I think jazz, I think 38 -60, not on oxygen or using pampers. Still seems odd to me for that section of town. I would prefer to see that stuck in DT somewhere or on colley.

You mean a real estate professional turned developer, like Buddy Gaddams? :P

Look, this wouldn't have happened without Keith Newby being the developer. This was a drug deal between Newby and Sentara -- they wanted the patients out of his cardiology practice (for caths, hearts, etc.) and he needed tenents. Since they have gone around town buying up as many practices as they can, they now "own" most of the potential doctors to populate the building.

Second, the fact that Newby is black, made it easier to appeal to the pimps like Paul Riddick -- especially in the downfall of Robert Johnson's participation in the convention center hotel -- and get the subsidies from the city, including the enterprise zone bond money. But then, that calls to mind, why a cardiologist like Newby, typically making over $700,000/year, needs taxpayer subsidies, especially now they they have canned the hotel that potentially was the employer of enterprise zone residents -- and the raison d' etre for the program to begin with -- provide employment. :dunno:

Good point :P I guess I was coming from a design standpoint. At least if GT were to hypothetically move forward the look of the building would have been half way decent.

If I had the money, I would build a brewery over there on the rivers edge with a dock for the river taxi. I would call it the Norfolk brewery. I would love to put it right there where they torn those old warehouses down. Maybe one day I will have the money to do it. I would be nice to have a few clubs or bars down there with light rail coming down there

If I had the money, I would build a brewery over there on the rivers edge with a dock for the river taxi. I would call it the Norfolk brewery. I would love to put it right there where they torn those old warehouses down. Maybe one day I will have the money to do it. I would be nice to have a few clubs or bars down there with light rail coming down there

Yeah that sounds nice. I can see someone being attracted by the name alone.

Archived