Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

This is AWESOME news!

I love the buildings, their shape and design.

The only suggestion I have to the designers is to "skin" the parking deck. A building this large with such a prominent position should look better than the backside of the West Main tower.

Overall I love it!

Oh $hit! Man I know I'm a little behind but its better late than never! Anyways, this does only reconfirms that the city has its tower projects on lock down better than anything the U.S. government tries to keep under wraps lol. Additionally, I remember we all talked about how the region needs a signature tower and while Granby Tower has come forth to represent the region for signature identity, I think Ghent South Towers will be its biggest competitor in the future for the title of the signature tower of our region. I won't be surprised if in fact Granby and Ghent South become debate subjects for the signature tower title. Additionally, I'm beginning to think that Norfolk is becoming the Dubai of our region, perhaps even the entire state. Like the developers of projects in Dubai who seem to be coming up with totally "out there" designs and projects, Norfolk seems to be following suit to the certain extent. Granby for height, Cosmo 411 for uniqueness, and now Ghent South for unusual design with touches of Ghents character and the perception of the future.

Now that we have this what else is up. Honestly I thought we would cool down a bit since every tower we knew or heard about the past 2 years are now under construction or soon will be. Is it safe to say that Ghent South is the start of the next wave of towers to be announced over the next 2 years!? Plus now that the State of the Union address has been made, has anyone been able to find out when the State of the City address will be made? Last year, it provided a whole lot of info on downtown from the medical center to Trader and Hilton. Keep a look out for the address, it could reveal a whole lot of info and perhaps, new development announcements!

This is AWESOME news!

I love the buildings, their shape and design.

The only suggestion I have to the designers is to "skin" the parking deck. A building this large with such a prominent position should look better than the backside of the West Main tower.

Overall I love it!

Well that is the view from the river, so perhaps the side fronting Brambleton will be skinned. Besides having the back side not skinned will provide residents and patients with nice views as they exit their automobiles. ;)

...has anyone been able to find out when the State of the City address will be made? Last year, it provided a whole lot of info on downtown from the medical center to Trader and Hilton. Keep a look out for the address, it could reveal a whole lot of info and perhaps, new development announcements!

Its today, RTA. The announcement of this project is scheduled to be made during Mayor Fraim's state of the city address.

I agree Lammius. I hope that the developers do not keep the garage the way it is (a la Westin). If the river is EVER cleaned up and the city wants to have a waterfront there, having 6 stories of exposed parking to front the river bed isn't the greatest statement. I LOVE the project though!!!! :yahoo:

Does anybody have a front row seat, so we can get the inside info?

Yeah I read the article after I made my post. But unfortunately, I don't have anyway to get a seat to the event! lol But I can try to catch it on television. Anyone who lives in Norfolk or has Norfolk's neighborhood channel will surely be able to watch it. I watched it last year so I don't have any reason to think that no one would be able to watch it this year.

I agree Lammius. I hope that the developers do not keep the garage the way it is (a la Westin). If the river is EVER cleaned up and the city wants to have a waterfront there, having 6 stories of exposed parking to front the river bed isn't the greatest statement. I LOVE the project though!!!! :yahoo:

What we have to remember is that this is a free hand quick sketch. This is by no means the final rendering. I'm sure that the city would help to address some of these issues.

Yeah I read the article after I made my post. But unfortunately, I don't have anyway to get a seat to the event! lol But I can try to catch it on television. Anyone who lives in Norfolk or has Norfolk's neighborhood channel will surely be able to watch it. I watched it last year so I don't have any reason to think that no one would be able to watch it this year.

They also post the transcript on Norfolk's city web page... Norfolk.gov

I think this will be a go! This solves problems for the hospital: 1. Gives them an extended stay facility 2. possibly frees up the old medical tower site for hospital and EVMS use. It also gives the City a fine mixed use project in a great location. Views from apartments-condos will be wonderful. The rendering gives a good impression of the concept, but is very toy-like. Only we folks who never met a skyscraper we didn't like admire it.

The towers do not relate well at all together, but hopefully they will as the design evolves, and that garage is overwhelming. At least it doesn't sport portholes. (Also, don't look for an anchor, it's not a mall). I like the ship motif, but it's a very hard thing to execute. The old SMA Maritime Tower reminded me of a ship--specifically it looked like the Long Beach guided missile cruiser.

The Newport News research facility is only partially sucessful (IMO). The boat-like tower is spectacular, but it sits next to what looks like an overblown nursery, so relationships were not achieved very successfully for that project.

I'm really excited about this one.

:rofl: That's funny... I take it that that pun was intended lol

Of course. I'm really glad we saw a rendering, but I'm just dying to see the final design. Somebody (architects) is going to have a great time working on this. Could be better than the mermaids, or worse than a beached whale.

The rendering gives a good impression of the concept, but is very toy-like. Only we folks who never met a skyscraper we didn't like admire it.

The towers do not relate well at all together, but hopefully they will as the design evolves, and that garage is overwhelming. At least it doesn't sport portholes. (Also, don't look for an anchor, it's not a mall). I like the ship motif, but it's a very hard thing to execute.

I agree... I was very g.i.t.y. this morning when I opened the paper and saw the rendering. Now having been able to take it all in, this initial sketch does have its flaws. I'm not really feeling the 2 towers that have no relationship w/ each other... it's like it has an abnormal growth from its shoulders (think 2-headed monster).

Signature tower this is not... and comparing Norfolk's architecture to Dubai's is a stretch. Nonetheless, I'm glad we're getting the tower, and hopeful changes will be made to the project to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

I agree... I was very g.i.t.y. this morning when I opened the paper and saw the rendering. Now having been able to take it all in, this initial sketch does have its flaws. I'm not really feeling the 2 towers that have no relationship w/ each other... it's like it has an abnormal growth from its shoulders (think 2-headed monster).

Signature tower this is not... and comparing Norfolk's architecture to Dubai's is a stretch. Nonetheless, I'm glad we're getting the tower, and hopeful changes will be made to the project to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

As much as it looks like it does not fit with the building, it actually does. If you notice the front of the commercial building, you will see the same red brick used throughout the building, and i'm sure that the glass used will match the glass used for the extended stay/condos. I think that one way to make this building look better, would be to slim the commercial portion of the building and instead add a few more floors. The building looks awkward because you have this tall slim residential/hotel tower, and then this squatty fat commercial building. (which by counting floors, looks to be 13 stories, this is including the garage portion.) We need two tall towers to complement each other.

I find it funny that they put fairly detailed HVAC equipment in the rendering. Anyway, I like the two tower concept on one garage, but as others have said they need to add a "skin". The garage under the hotel/condo should match that building, while the garage under the medical offices should be clad in one-way glass. Also, I'd have a third skin on the portion between the two buildings that would make that part of the garage look like a third building. I's also put a tennis/basketball/garden area on top of the garage between the two buildings. I assume it is cheaper to build one garage that can better distribute loads that two separate garages.

I think we could all benefit from a bit of perspective here. Unless you're a bird or have your own private helicopter you're not likely to see the building from that angle. I'm going to wait for the street level renderings before I pass judgement. Not only is this a very early sketch, but I think the architects and the developer should be commended for taking on such a risky design. We have all moaned and complained about how dull and bland the architecture is in our area, now we finally get someone willing to not only step outside the box but redesign it, and it's not good enough. I really want to give this one a chance. Love it or hate it, it will be a Norfolk landmark for many years to come.

I think we could all benefit from a bit of perspective here. Unless you're a bird or have your own private helicopter you're not likely to see the building from that angle. I'm going to wait for the street level renderings before I pass judgement. Not only is this a very early sketch, but I think the architects and the developer should be commended for taking on such a risky design. We have all moaned and complained about how dull and bland the architecture is in our area, now we finally get someone willing to not only step outside the box but redesign it, and it's not good enough. I really want to give this one a chance. Love it or hate it, it will be a Norfolk landmark for many years to come.

I have no problem with it! I like the fact that its different so it will stick out. People will know that this is a Norfolk building not some crazy box high rise that every city has! :thumbsup:

I think most of us like the design of the buildings. What irks us is the same thing that annoyed us about the Westin: you put well-designed building on a bland garage. Trader, VB Hilton, and Granby cover their garages well. 150 W Main did a decent job. Even AH Tower has some disguising. Why can't Ghent South and Westin do the same?

I completely agree.

This building will probably look substantially different to the rendering. Don't be so quick to pass judgement. It's actually a pretty clever idea to shape the structure like a ship because of the shape of the property, and they have to have a large parking garage because the land where this is to be built is a already paved parking lot.

I think most of us like the design of the buildings. What irks us is the same thing that annoyed us about the Westin: you put well-designed building on a bland garage. Trader, VB Hilton, and Granby cover their garages well. 150 W Main did a decent job. Even AH Tower has some disguising. Why can't Ghent South and Westin do the same?

I agree as well Hoobo. I realize that the design is preliminary and Norfolk along with Ray Gindroz will have a large say in how the building is designed toward the street. I think because Fort Norfolk will be a mixed-use development that a large chunk of street frontage shouldn't look like a parking garage. I am pretty confident design reworks will address that.

Archived