Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...
They should keep it purple. I like it!
LOL.... I agree with the parking garage statement, but, at least it is vertical and not taking up a lot of surface space. This is one thing Norfolk has yet to truly embrace, well planned, well hiddened garages...but oh well. At least this does provide density to an area that is currently lacking in it! Nice photos!

Yeah, the more I think about it the parking garage isn't too bad, this part of town really needs some help on it's density factor. I don't have a problem with the parking garages in the immediate downtown because they're sorta hidden by the surrounding buildings, trees, etc. This one is just gonna be like BAM!

But hey, what do you guys think about the redevelopment of Fort Norfolk? With the senior building completely leased, fort norfolk plaza almost completely leased, do you see any more buildings being proposed for this area? The old Fort Norfolk Plan seemed like a good one, but I guess that's buried under some ten foot stacks of paper in City Hall somewhere..

Yeah, the more I think about it the parking garage isn't too bad, this part of town really needs some help on it's density factor. I don't have a problem with the parking garages in the immediate downtown because they're sorta hidden by the surrounding buildings, trees, etc. This one is just gonna be like BAM!

But hey, what do you guys think about the redevelopment of Fort Norfolk? With the senior building completely leased, fort norfolk plaza almost completely leased, do you see any more buildings being proposed for this area? The old Fort Norfolk Plan seemed like a good one, but I guess that's buried under some ten foot stacks of paper in City Hall somewhere..

The current problem with Fort Norfolk is the land owners, there are so many different land owners there that have no desire to sell or redevelop their land or buildings. The city's best bet will be redeveloping along the waterfront area and maybe figuring out how to build a foot bridge from there to Freemason...if that is at all possible. Other than that, I dont see that area changing much....which is a shame because that area should be a second skyline and dense urban district for the city.

The current problem with Fort Norfolk is the land owners, there are so many different land owners there that have no desire to sell or redevelop their land or buildings. The city's best bet will be redeveloping along the waterfront area and maybe figuring out how to build a foot bridge from there to Freemason...if that is at all possible. Other than that, I dont see that area changing much....which is a shame because that area should be a second skyline and dense urban district for the city.

That's exactly what I was thinking minus the foot bridge. But with the conversion of the Krisp Pak warehouse into apartments, this medical office building, that high- rise retirement community place, the medical center across the street, and a growing downtown, you would think this area is ripe for development once the economy turns around. It would be a desirable address, especially with light rail at your doorstep. Like I've said multiple times, I'd love for downtown to stretch from medical center to tidewater drive one day.

• 3 weeks later...

What Fort Norfolk needs is a star attraction that will draw people, revenue, and later development. How about this in front of the waterfront?

ja28_013.jpg

SSUSPortPanoramic1.jpg

Start her off as a museum, then add a Hotel and conference space. with the flood of people arriving to see her off light rail stop at the medical center, retail will explode. Eventually High rises on the waterfront land near her will crop up, with retail on the ground floors parking garages near the superstructure levels and then apartments/offices on top.

Also apparently she is for sale, but might see the bone yard! Shes a bargain though for only $20 million

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/

• 3 weeks later...

So this building portion of this project looks nice but that parking garage is horrendous. With as nitpicky the city is about everything I can't believe they let this thing go. The designer should win an award for the ugliest project ever. You can see it from Portsmouth before you drop into the midtown tunnel. I hope someone builds something in front of the parking garage soon.

Give it a chance. They're actually covering the parking structure in brick as we speak. Sure, it might not look amazing, but once the brick is up, I don't think it will look horrendous...

Only the lower portion of the parking garage will have brick. Look closely at the precast concrete wall panels on the garage. The lower panels have thiin vertical white stripes. These stripes are for the anchors that hold the brick to the concrete wall. Where there are no stripes, there will be no brick.

Even with the brick, it is a very massive parking garage in a very visible location.

I like it. Obviously the parking garage is a monstrosity, and with an enormous parking garage going up right down the street, and light rail a block away, I don't think it's needed. But it's better then nothing, and it should be the beginning of Fort Norfolk/ Atlantic City redevelopment.

• 3 weeks later...

So the parking garage is already finished...it took like a week lol....and yes it is an absolute monstrosity...I suggest everyone drive by just to see it's hideousness!

It is amazing how even a little bit of Aesthetic design can improve the look of a parking structure, too bad it wasnt taken into mind with this project, take a look at the new Garage that Virginia Tech will build:

garage.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived