Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

From the Mayor's State of the City address Supplement:

"A Fort Norfolk landmark is under development, soon to be known as "Ghent South Towers", a 24-story complex at its highest point comprised of medical office, residential condominiums, amenities and retail in a building with an innovative design, marking the gateway to Fort Norfolk and Downtown. Plans are for two towers. The office medical tower includes a story each for retail, a conference facility and a health club in addition to 7 stories for medical offices above 6 stories of parking. The residential tower will have 118 units, approximately 200,000 net square feet, and rise 18 stories above parking."

Signature tower this is not... and comparing Norfolk's architecture to Dubai's is a stretch. Nonetheless, I'm glad we're getting the tower, and hopeful changes will be made to the project to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

When I say this is a "signature" tower, I mean't that it will be able to be recognized as a Norfolk building rather than something that looks familiar or common that you can find in any other city. In terms of Dubai, noticed I specifically named certain buildings to prove a point. I wasn't comparing the general architecture to Dubai's, I was simply pointing out these developments because they think outside the box or raise the bar just like Dubai's 17,946,295,463 projects and proposals.

17,946,295,463!!!

Only about 17,946,295,456 to go and we got it!

lol Out of all those projects, none of them I don't think include a ship-shaped building/tower. You would think with all the crap they have come up from whole islands and cities within cities to blob shaped buildings that they would've had their "Ghent South Tower" 5 years ago! On the real though, when my cousin came from Dubai a few weeks ago, he mentioned his upcoming competition, 40+ hotels underconstruction. He's the general manager of the Dubai Paramount hotel so obviously for tower fans like us that would be great news but for hotel competition,I guess thats bad for him haha

What in the world?!!!

Where is Dubai getting all its money from to fund these projects... oil?

Yup! Oil has made them rich and since they realize they can't rely on it in the future because it's running out, they are spending now to make it a resort and the "Las Vegas" of the Middle East. And we thought it would've been bad to have Trader and Hilton under construction at the same time for logistical reasons lol!

I don't know about y'all but in the sense of architecture, I would take Ghent South Tower's architecture over the constant same old same old that Dubai has goin' on in that pic! In reality, if Norfolk had that goin' on, I think all of City council would quit because of all the headaches they would have to make everyone have architectural pleasing/different-looking towers!

24 stories for this thing is nice!! As bad as some of it may look, the point it to look like an old ship and I think it does that well. If you look at the very front of the medical building and you can see "wood" almost.

and......................with global warming.............at least this project floats.

I couldn't believe my eyes! I think this is why they picked the path they did for the light rail. There maybe more in the making!

From the way they word it, it looks like the top five of the 25 will be the condos and the hotel will be 20 stories. I hope that I'm wrong though.

I dissagre, it say's 25 story hotel then in the next sentence it say to be toped by 5 stories of condos. To me it sounds like 30 stories.

From the Mayor's State of the City address Supplement:

"A Fort Norfolk landmark is under development, soon to be known as "Ghent South Towers", a 24-story complex at its highest point comprised of medical office, residential condominiums, amenities and retail in a building with an innovative design, marking the gateway to Fort Norfolk and Downtown. Plans are for two towers. The office medical tower includes a story each for retail, a conference facility and a health club in addition to 7 stories for medical offices above 6 stories of parking. The residential tower will have 118 units, approximately 200,000 net square feet, and rise 18 stories above parking."

Wow, I don't know which to believe, the supplement or the address. This is pretty damn detailed so I guess this is gonna replace what I currently have in the projects listing. Yesterday was so crazy I missed this post completely.

So 24 stories for the condo portion and 13 for the office.

Archived