Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

my girlfriend said it looked alot like a boat.

Sure does. The rounded corner tower suggests a smoke stack at the stern and the medical office building looks like an over-sized container (or batch of containers). The more I look at it the zanier and more wonderful the idea gets. I wonder if some rolling grass swales can surround the project to suggest waves.

AND.....of course it just has to have a Starbucks! The bottom of the "hull" section could roll inwards, but that could be pricey.

I was looking through some old documents and as shocked as we were about this development we really shouldn't have been. It was all neatly spelled out in this diagram below exactly what type of development was wanted where. GST is on a plot of land that was not originally planned, but the extended stay portion was always planned judging fromn the diagram. Also, it looks like a park will be coming to the area (plum point park) which is definately a plus. Also, looking a the plot of land colored for the Harbors Edge project the current tower doesn't cover nearly that much territory. They probably planned on 2 towers all along and I'm willing to bet the 2nd tower is going up in the remaining empty parking space.

fortNorfolk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It does seem like they're building something every week. :rofl:

YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO DUBAI TO SEE OUT OF CONTROL CONSTRUCTION. CHECK THESE LINKS OUT ON MIAMI, LAS VEGAS AND CHICAGO!

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/li/?...bt=2&ht=2&sro=1

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/li/?...bt=2&ht=2&sro=1

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/?id=101030

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard whether or not a developer has been chosen for this project yet? I had in my notes that Dr. Newby was supposed to select one around the end of March.

I haven't heard anything but honestly I think his projection of starting construction this summer was more than a little ambitious. We probably have at least a few more months before we start getting more details about this.

I haven't heard anything but honestly I think his projection of starting construction this summer was more than a little ambitious. We probably have at least a few more months before we start getting more details about this.

Summer runs through August which means he still has time. He really doesn't have to clear too much land. There is no building there.

Summer runs through August which means he still has time. He really doesn't have to clear too much land. There is no building there.

Yes but at press time they were still ironing out some of the details of what exactly will be encompassed in the tower. In particular they may try to hold out a bit to make sure they get that extended stay component since one is really needed there. They probably still have a few design changes to go through as well. As we've all learned by now these things tend to take more time than is initially projected.

Yes but at press time they were still ironing out some of the details of what exactly will be encompassed in the tower. In particular they may try to hold out a bit to make sure they get that extended stay component since one is really needed there. They probably still have a few design changes to go through as well. As we've all learned by now these things tend to take more time than is initially projected.

can't argue with that vdogg! Start could consider being clearing ground and driving test piles and could sit just like Granby is right now

We will definately get some sort of tower out of this. Even if real estate totally collapses the medical office tower is needed and is definately a go. That when combined with the need for an extended stay hotel puts this project on more solid ground than Granby. I have a feeling, that with the current climate, they are really looking to make the extended stay hotel the main emphasis (along with the office portion) and leaving the condo section as the minor part of this project.

We will definately get some sort of tower out of this. Even if real estate totally collapses the medical office tower is needed and is definately a go. That when combined with the need for an extended stay hotel puts this project on more solid ground than Granby. I have a feeling, that with the current climate, they are really looking to make the extended stay hotel the main emphasis (along with the office portion) and leaving the condo section as the minor part of this project.

Well at lest the land has nothing on it.

• 1 month later...

This was in the last meeting for city council. In case some of you don't remember, Dr Newby is the doctor that is proposing building the Ghent South Towers. Froehling & Roberson, Inc., is a soils testing engineer. This basically is an agreement with the state and city offices to help shoulder a portion of the bill to test the soils where the building is going up. The Ghent South Towers is suppose to be a partnership with the city and doctor Newby. Looks like this building is moving right along. The old article said he hoped to begin construction by late summer early fall, in my experience he seems to be right on course with that projection. He could be slightly behind.

:rolleyes:

I still say fall at the earliest, no way this summer, but this is some great news. Can't wait to see this sucker start construction. :)

I still say fall at the earliest, no way this summer, but this is some great news. Can't wait to see this sucker start construction. :)

Considering summer just started today, he has about four months at least before he is off his projections.

Considering summer just started today, he has about four months at least before he is off his projections.

My summer starts the beginning of june and ends the beginning of September. I tend to align with tourist season. :lol: You're right though, he could pull it off. I am a little confused about the "soil testing" bit though. Does this mean test piles? If so then we could consider it site work when he starts. I wish I had know this as in the agenda, becasue they usually post the full pdf with project details a week before. I'll have to look and see if I can find it. I wonder if they've changed the design any? :unsure:

My summer starts the beginning of june and ends the beginning of September. I tend to align with tourist season. :lol: You're right though, he could pull it off. I am a little confused about the "soil testing" bit though. Does this mean test piles? If so then we could consider it site work when he starts. I wish I had know this as in the agenda, becasue they usually post the full pdf with project details a week before. I'll have to look and see if I can find it. I wonder if they've changed the design any? :unsure:

No. Soil testing is when a truck comes out with a big drill on the back. They drill down 30 feet or more and take samples of the soils. They then compile a schematic that shows the different layers of soil and how deep each is. This testing was likely done months ago. This latest referral is to that of helping to pay for the testing. I would assume that as long as the plans make it through the city we could see construction start really any time. However, I havn't heard anything on whether he plans only condos or if he got the extended stay hotel. We need to put some pressure on the city and try to find out everything we can about this project. Especially since they are partners. Any takers?

Well since we heard that extend a stay is moving on Granby, I would assume that it would be condos. I could be wrong though

I honestly think that Dr. Newbys development would have the upper hand since the demand already exists (being that it will be a medical building right next to the hospital).

Archived