Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

I like this building a lot more than the original rendering. This looks like a nice cohesive city structure than a cheesy ship.

I second that. The original building, while iconic, lacked any bit of cohesiveness. It was two totally different towers plopped down on a drab parking deck. This is much more cohesive. Also, looks like the office portion is much larger that what was anticipated before. The residential portion is the smaller wing to the left of the picture. Maybe they had more demand for office space than they assumed. If that's the case than this building is a sure bet to be built.

It looks like they're trying to make this thing have the appearance of being many separate buildings, which is good for how large an area it covers, but it's too much of a bad color pallette and to repeat that god-awful semicylindrical roofline over and over again... ??

Add the lack of any street-accessible activities (retail, restaurants, etc) on the ground floor and a SETBACK (wtf?) from the street, and any hope for a vibrant streetlife here is lost. Atlantic City/Fort Norfolk/Ghent South/whatever is a virtual blank slate, an opportunity to create a new vibrant urban community. Buildings like this will make it a dead zone. Indeed, this thing looks like the rest of the EVMS medical park. And who wants to hang out there?

I like it, they way it will mix with the rest of that area. It may look like three seperate high rises from ground level. The first rendering was original, but not too pleasing asthetically. I have to say I'm happy with the changes and they could still make them taller.

• 2 months later...

Any updates?

Not really other than I know Clark Nexsen is still working on the design. I know it's still going forward however I think vtfan may be more apt to answer this question since its one of his friends that are working on this project.

Also, the mayors state of the city address is coming up February 6th.

Not really other than I know Clark Nexsen is still working on the design. I know it's still going forward however I think vtfan may be more apt to answer this question since its one of his friends that are working on this project.

Also, the mayors state of the city address is coming up February 6th.

Update: http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...662&tref=po

Rename Thread: Ghent South Towers Fort Norfolk Plaza

Site plan goes before the council in a week. Condos are gone from the plans.

Developer is in Baltimore this week hoping to secure a Summerfield Suites Extended Stay Hotel (brand of Hyatt).

Sentara looking into leasing some space. First floor is tentatively scheduled to have a restaurant and a jazz club.

The state owns some of the land the developers has planned to build on, but the state must first turn it over to the city to sell to the developer.

Hopes to close on the land arrangements by April and begin construction in June.

Now everything gets shorter an more along the lines we expect for HR.

Not necessarily. It was always either condos or the extended stay. They've chosen the extended stay, but the dimensions of the project should not alter dramatically from the last rendering I posted. They may even chose to combine it into one tower.

Now everything gets shorter an more along the lines we expect for HR.

I stand corrected. You guys are gonna hate this

http://www.fortnorfolkplaza.com/

p1.jpg

Looks to be about 12 stories and absolutely hideous. I've officially lost interest. Next :lol:

On a side note at least we have an extra seawall.

Looks like it's just the office portion on the right, and the extended stay hotel on the left.

How in the world did we wind up with this monstrosity?

On the residential side, he wants to build an extended-stay hotel for people undergoing treatment either in his building or at nearby facilities.

If the hotel works out, Newby said, there will be 20 condominiums on top of it. If it doesn

What in the world?I absolutely hate it.I'm not interested in this project anymore.

I have half a mind to remove the damn thing from the projects listing honestly. I understand the economics of stuff and if it doesn't work financially then it just doesn't work. I'd rather have them not build anything then just throw something up. A 2 year old could build that thing out of lego blocks. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that this isn't the most recent rendering or that the design review committee will throw this garbarge right back in their faces. To force this architectural disaster on a city is disrepectful.

It now looks like the natural expansion of the hospital that it really is. I only hope that hope it evolves.

Of course it looks like the Sentara corporate "look", i.e. their new Heart Hospital, CarePlex in Hampton, VB General expansion -- the guy building it is a cardiologist with an enormous ego, and is busy kissing Sentara's netherlands to keep his anxiety level down. He wants a big splash, but wants it at low risk, which means max Sentara leasing there.

Whine all you want, but the money talks, and the lofty expectations walk. Like I said before, there is absolutely no evidence in the HR area that better design leads to higher lease rates.

Archived