Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

Being that this is the pilot maybe that got it confused with the hotel being built on Brambleton. I know it's a stretch, but sometimes they get the details wrong.

I'm hoping they did

But does that mean they will have to have a new rendering? Maybe we can get something better looking out the deal at least...

I had always assumed that this building would replace the existing 9 story medical tower and that it would need to be significantly larger, especially if Newby wants to also attract physicians from other parts of the city. The Old Medical Tower is falling into disrepair and is probably standing in the way of hospital expansions. I think it's to be 9 floors of offices above several levels of parking. It should probably be more like 15 floors of offices over the parking.

Ughh. I hope this is a typo but it looks like it.

I'm confused. This looks like soviet apartment building and your lamenting the fact that it got smaller. We should be celebrating! Hopefully, it continues to shrink until nothing is left.

I'm confused. This looks like soviet apartment building and your lamenting the fact that it got smaller. We should be celebrating! Hopefully, it continues to shrink until nothing is left.

:lol: I agree with you there. I guess my problem with this is that if we're gonna throw money at something it should at least be something architecturally significant, or of discernible public value. The more I look into it, it seems like it really won't help the Fort Norfolk area at all. Retail and entertainment seems to be an after thought. As Padman said, this appears to just be a natural extension of Sentara. Quite frankly, they can pay for that themselves.

As Padman said, this appears to just be a natural extension of Sentara. Quite frankly, they can pay for that themselves.
Why should Sentara do that? They are smart guys, and figured out how to play the game in Norfolk. They partnered with a black cardiologist and tied his practice to their heart hospital, ensuring a steady flow of cases. They took advantage of racial reparations politics here in Norfolk and got a subsidy. They knew how to play the game, and they did it. Until enough outcry forces a change to the game, then smart people will use it to their advantage.

• 4 weeks later...

Jazz and blues and high rent don't mix. This club is Dr. Newby's hobby. I hope he nurtures it and that it becomes a place where innovative music can be heard. That would be a real gift to the community. His web site makes it seem more like a place where you try innovative lines to pick people up.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a pretty well placed "more than just a rumor" yesterday. Norfolk has spent up its federal Empowerment Zone bond money ($12 M of it went to the new hotel at ODU) -- but Portsmouth still had some money left. Keith Newby got $20M of Portsmouth's money to be spent for his new building, in Norfolk. Perfectly legal, since this is governed by a concept of "two cities -- one interwoven destiny". Just wonder how much better that could have been put to use on the west side of the Midtown -- actually providing jobs for Portsmouth residents?

• 2 weeks later...

I was walking down there yesterday and a couple of surveyors were out. They said that a park was going to be put in across from Harbor's Edge and that "buildings" were going to be where they teared down the old warehouses. I double checked that it isn't going to be a parking lot and the guy affirmed buildings. Anyone heard any else on this?

I was walking down there yesterday and a couple of surveyors were out. They said that a park was going to be put in across from Harbor's Edge and that "buildings" were going to be where they teared down the old warehouses. I double checked that it isn't going to be a parking lot and the guy affirmed buildings. Anyone heard any else on this?

Nope, not at all. Last I heard was parking lot. Nothing has come across planning lately either. If buildings are supposed to go there then it is in the very early planning stages. Either that or it is somehow related to the 2nd Harbors Edge building, which they're supposed to start marketing before the end of this year.

Nope, not at all. Last I heard was parking lot. Nothing has come across planning lately either. If buildings are supposed to go there then it is in the very early planning stages. Either that or it is somehow related to the 2nd Harbors Edge building, which they're supposed to start marketing before the end of this year.

Don't think so. I believe the 2nd HE tower is supposed to be back toward Brambleton.

Was walking down there the other day and I talked to some of the guys doing dirt work. They said that it is very temporarily (1 year) going to be used as a parking lot and then the Harbor's Edge 2nd building is going to be built on it.

I wonder how much will block the view of those already there. Prices will be much higher, I'm sure. But I thought the other building was supposed to be back toward Brambleton. HE is an attractive building, though. So I'm sure tower 2 should be as well.

Archived