Fort Norfolk Plaza Progress

vdogg

• 2 months later...

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/fort-norfo...er-funding-woes

The developer of the $70 million Fort Norfolk Plaza medical office project said Wednesday that he has reached a deal with two banks to provide financing for the project.

Dr. Keith Newby said construction will begin Friday on the 210,000-square-foot, nine-story medical office building near the city's medical center. The main tenant will be Sentara Healthcare...

Here is a rendering from the epilot. Is it new?

fortnorfolk.jpg

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/11/fort-norfo...er-funding-woes

Here is a rendering from the epilot. Is it new?

fortnorfolk.jpg

New rendering, same crap. I refuse to accept something subpar simply because the current economic climate doesn't allow for anything better. If this is the case then wait. That land is too valuable for something like this, that will continue to be my contention until they put something together that's better.

wow, it looks like a subpar hospital building. Well I guess that will be the only people using the building, so I am not surprised. The plus side is that it is a plain boring building and wont be much of an eyesore.

And look at the bright side, one could take a good photo of Norfolk from the top of that garage. ^_^

New rendering, same crap. I refuse to accept something subpar simply because the current economic climate doesn't allow for anything better. If this is the case then wait. That land is too valuable for something like this, that will continue to be my contention until they put something together that's better.

He is building this mainly for sentara...They have very large parking lots and are already building another garage. Why does this building require waterfront property? Especially that hideous parking garage?

He is building this mainly for sentara...They have very large parking lots and are already building another garage. Why does this building require waterfront property? Especially that hideous parking garage?

I can actually understand them wanting the garage on the same side of the street, but the lack of effort they put forth in hiding the thing is stunning. The local architects have made a lot of progress in their ability to hide a garage (Trader, Wachovia, Gateway, etc.) so why the step backwards? This whole thing went from an innovative project with the ability to extend downtown, to an expansion of Sentara proper. I mean, lets call it what it is, a hospital. Yeah, the economy is bad, but I refuse to count my blessings on this one. Portsmouth did something really stunning the other day. Faced with difficulties in getting financing for the 25-story tower on their water front, instead of going with something significantly reduced and of lower quality, they voted to give the developers all the time they need to deliver the project at the same quality that was originally intended. Bravo Portsmouth. At least somebody gets it.

This is the most wretched piece of drivel I've seen in a very long time, like a bad movie that isn't funny enough to become a cult favorite. With this taste in architecture, what kind of jazz can we expect in that nightclub? I see feathered boas and poor renditions of Sinatra tunes coming. O.K. I got out on the wrong side of the bed today, but really.

• 1 month later...

:yahoo: No not really; :mellow:

I just really really can't get over the waterfront parking garage. I mean, the building itself is so generic that it neither inspires nor offends, it's just kind of there, and hey, it's made of brick... :huh: ...ok maybe that's looking too much on the bright side. But the garage on the waterfront is not right and a real shame the city wouldn't force them to do something to cover it up...

I think that the city council allowed a huge egg to be layed on this project.

It would be easier to handle if the developer would build this thing with future add-ons in the future as the market allows.

The garage part could be built with a hotel/condo tower on top of it in mind.

Then when the time is right, build the tower!

That would make the project more promising.

Oh well......

• 5 weeks later...

FNP_Site_Photos_700.png

Hopefully these guys can build better than they can proofread.... Multi-million dollar project and we get acors (instead of acres) and the Sentara Heart Hopspital. Also, their "view looking east" pic is facing southwest and taken from alost over Hampton Blvd, and the "view looking west" pic is facing southeast

Archived